Argh, freakin Raptor...

Im having problems with my new 74GB western digital Raptor SATA hard drive.
When i go to install XP it finishes installation then reboots like normal. When it goes to load XP a black screen comes up and it just stays there "hangs" and doesnt go to desktop.

Ive tried to install XP on another drive, a 160GB seagate barracuda SATA and it works fine on there, loads to desktop all is normal e.t.c Just this raptor doesnt do the same.

I really would like this sorting out, its giving me a big migraine. Would really really appreciate a solution to this.

Thanks alot.

Pc: Pentium 4 3.2 Northwood
Abit IC7-MAX3
1 Gig corsair pc3200
Asus ATI radeon 9800XT

solution: trade your 74gb raptor for 2 x 36gb raptors, WinXp installed in Raid0 ... my rig's identical to yours:

3.2c @ 3.7
IC7-Max3
2x512mb HyperX pc3500
ATi Radeon 9800XT

:D

I'd say "press f6 to load third-party drivers..." but I'm assuming that u've already done that!

I dont want to trade for 36Gb, i want to sort this problem out.
Ive already loaded the drivers, it doesnt make a difference.

Someone help...:(

Loaded the drivers, it doesnt make a difference because it uses the onboard chip SATA interface. Drivers are only needed using sata 3-6 channels on the silicon device.

I have no idea what to do, ive tried alot of things.

well....it works in the other board
check for BIOS updates, and Chipset drivers

and contact WD & Abit support there may be an issue

Well, I recently had a problem with my WD740GD and it was a really strange one. Might want to check the following. I was trying to install Win2k on my new Raptor and it would just hang midway through the install, switched it out with my sata 7200.7 and no problems. After a lot of banging my head against the wall it turned out to be the sata cable - strange as it sounds (and I still have no explanation for it) the sata cable would allow my 7200.7 to install Windows but not my Raptor. Swapped out with a new SATA cable and everything was fine. If you've tried everything else give this a shot - it's five bucks and easier than RMAing which may not be the issue anyway.

My WD400JB makes strange clicking sounds that are not very audible, and the HDD light does not blink. It just sounds like the drive is being accessed.

Originally posted by Bar81
Well, I recently had a problem with my WD740GD and it was a really strange one. Might want to check the following. I was trying to install Win2k on my new Raptor and it would just hang midway through the install, switched it out with my sata 7200.7 and no problems. After a lot of banging my head against the wall it turned out to be the sata cable - strange as it sounds (and I still have no explanation for it) the sata cable would allow my 7200.7 to install Windows but not my Raptor. Swapped out with a new SATA cable and everything was fine. If you've tried everything else give this a shot - it's five bucks and easier than RMAing which may not be the issue anyway.

I had this problem as well setting up my 36 gig raptors ... quite a headache ... but buying 1 new cable solved all my problems ...

Originally posted by Greg Pookanus
Loaded the drivers, it doesnt make a difference because it uses the onboard chip SATA interface. Drivers are only needed using sata 3-6 channels on the silicon device.

I have no idea what to do, ive tried alot of things.

I couldn`t get my raptors to load Windows without the drivers using the "F6" method single drive or raid using on chip SATA "SATA1 + 2 "

I had to install Windows first using the SATA raid "sata1+2" alone with a cd rom on IDE1 with no other drives. Then after it`s setup I added 1 drive at a time on the IDE channels untill I got them all.

Try taking all drives off the IDE channels except your cd rom. then use the F6 method to load Windows on your SATA drive.

If you haven`t updated your BIOS yet....................that would be a big help with the SATA

Just a new one. The one that was giving my trouble was packed in with my SATA RAID controller. I swapped it out with one from a local OEM and I was set. Some SATA cables are probably just made poorer than others or you just got one that just isn't quite up to spec or you just need a change ;)

ALso remove any other drives you have during the install. IF you have any secondary sata or pata (especially pata) drives for data, unhook them untill after the install.

This has worked for me with alot of the time. All have been on the Si3112A chipset too.

Back