Argh, all my ID3 tags got messed up

pentup

Limp Gawd
Today I noticed that nearly all of my 8000+ mp3s got their ID3 tags screwed up somehow... I reformatted my Windows drive a few days ago, and before I installed my normal mp3 player (Media Jukebox), I decided to see what iTunes looked like. I didn't like it, so I installed Media Jukebox and imported all of my mp3s and... BAM! Most of the Artist fields got replaced with the Album info. I'm going to assume that iTunes did this.... Damn you, Apple!

Anywho, I loathe the idea of going thru all the files and redoing the ID3 tags. Media Jukebox has an option to fill in the tag info from the filename, but this has been crashing on alot of songs so I can't select alot and mass rename them. Are there any GOOD programs that will redo all of my files' ID3 tags based on the filename info? I have tried googleing for some programs in the past, but I didn't like many of em, and I don't remember the names that I did like :)

Just some more info... All of the filenames are in the Artist - SongName.mp3 format, organized by Artist/Album directory structure. I know many people have probably asked about this in the past, but the blasted Search feature still doesn't work :) Thanks in advance, guys.

I used Media Monkey when I had to ID3 tag all my sister's mp3s. I don't remember how I got it working, but once I figured it out, it was easy to just go down the list; it pretty much does it automatically.

* Just to clarify, that was when the mp3s had no ID3 tags at all. I'm not sure how easy that program would be to use to redo the tags that are already there.

Are there any GOOD programs that will redo all of my files' ID3 tags based on the filename info?

Try Tagscanner

I think what I would do in your case is set WMP9 to monitor your music folder. Configure it to add the missing information to your files, open it when you are connected to the Internet, and just let it do it's thing. It will automagicly add the Tags for all of the files it can ID. It will also download the Cover Art for the files it tags which is kinda cool.

Back