Are the apps in itunes for iPhone/iTouch really free?

jeff1941

Weaksauce
I have a iTouch and I was browsing through the iTunes store apps section and theres a bunch of free apps like games and utilities, I was curious if these apps are really free(other than the advertisement in the apps) or is their a hidden charge since you have to log in and use your credit card? Are some of the apps trail versions? Thanks

Some apps are free, some you have to pay for, it depends on the app. I have around 5 or 6 apps, and I have only purchased 1 app.

If it says its free in the store, it is. There's no hidden fees. There are the apps that cost money, but they're labeled. The credit card is just part of the entire itunes account.

An iTunes account does not require a credit card on file - it's only if you actually try to purchase something that requires the credit card be used at that time (which of course puts it on file once you make that first purchase). As already noted, it's quite easy to spot FREE from an actual price on an app, I even think they're color coded at the last step: green FREE button of blue purchase one, can't remember at the moment.

As also noted, a lot of apps will be free when first introduced, and new ones are added every hour, every day so it's always a good idea to keep tabs on stuff. What really pisses people off is a new app that costs $9.99 or whatever and then after a few weeks they drop the price but don't refund the difference to people. Guess the App Store developers are learning from Apple: come out with something (aka the iPhone) and charge and arm and a leg for it, then release it again with a few new features and the price is significantly lower... (and yes I'm aware of the subsidies from AT&T, even so... Apple dropped the iPhone 1st generation price pretty quick and that $100 "gift card" crap was just that, crap).

Back