Are SATA adapters gonna hurt me?

Hal|9k

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm currently piecing together a new rig (currently lacking only the CPU and mobo) and I have a question on storage. Here's what I'm considering:

One 80Gig drive on IDE1 as master
One DVD burner on IDE2 as master
Two 80Gig drives equipped with HighPoint Rocket100 adapters running in Raid 0 on the SATA bus.

My question is, am I way off base thinking I can run these PATA drives in SATA Raid, even with the adapters? Everything looks good from here, but I have zero experience with this so I thought I'd ask the gurus in here.

FWIW, the drives are Western Digital 8MB cache 7200rpm drives and the motherboards I'm contemplating are as follows:

Chaintech ZNF3-150 Zenith
Abit KV8-Max3
MSI K8T NEO-FSR
ECS 755-A2

Thanks in advance for any input!

the Highpoint adapters are high quality, that said everytime you introduce an added interface you introduce the potential for issues, something I now try to avoid

it boils down to this, when an external RAID array is constructed there is an engineer that is testing the noise level on all the bridges\cables (HDD to backplane to controller to cable to HBA)

the same with an individaul HDD, its tested with a cable that is often supplied with the drive, this has become a much bigger issue these days with high speed PATA, which is why we now have SATA

so everytime you consider cobbling together an additional interface (like a hotswap tray or a PATA to SATA converter)
you will alter the signal.
ATA isnt a terminated protocol like SCSI, and even SCSI has these issues
however SATA is much better than PATA in this respect and modern ATA\ATAPI devices damn good at sorting out the signel

so you should be just fine, maybe not quite as good as a native SATA drive, but certainly acceptable. If you where using cheaper adapters however Id be less confident

SATA and the 7 Deadly Sins of Parallel ATA
ATA Not So Frequently Asked Questions

That's what I was hoping to hear. I wanted to make sure someone didn't come back and say, "well, I tried that and it corrupted my data and gave my cat a cold."

Thanks, folks!

I am using an adaptor on a drive (not raided though) and it works great.

It may have given your cat a cold though, not sure about that.

==>Lazn

Back