Are LCDs "ever" coming out with NO Dead Pixels?

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
As stated. Do LCDs have a QC issue, or is it technically too much to have no dead pixels? If a screen is OK new, do pixels go bad over time as well?

youre average 1280x1024 lcd has close to 4 million subpixels on its screen. having a couple of those stuck on or off is a very low failure rate. they are getting better, and a time may come when the qc goal is 100% but at the moment its just not feasable.

As it is now, it depends. It's a matter of the manufacturer on how many dead/stuck you get. I got lucky and have none on my display but some people could get several.

Pixels can die over time if they're damaged, however it's not too likely for one to just die on a desktop display. Can happen, just not that likely.

So you just have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky?

I have 4 lcd's, 3 are perfect with zero dead pixels and one with a stuck green pixel that I don't even notice.

i just got the dell 1801fp and it has ZERO dead pixels, aw man im lovin it :D

I was screwing around with the dead pixel tester at BestBuy and Futureshop, every floor model they had, had no dead pixels, buncha bastards, send the dead pixel ones to the stores and give us the good ones!

I bought a 23" LCD from apple, and it came with 4 dead pixels all over.
sux cause they wont replace it

What is a dead pixel tester? Some utility to run? Does it automatically count dead ones for you, or does it just display screens that make it easy to see the dead ones?

My 213T came with 0 Dead and its a good thing. I would have flown it personaly back to Korea if it had. There is no excuse for a dead pixel on a 1200 dollar monitor :)

mine has 3 pixels...two can only be seen on a total black screen and one with total white screen.

Getting a panel with just 10 funky sub-pixels is quite a feat really. There's millions of sub-pixels that can fail and not having any makes for some pretty impressive luck.

I think your much better off paying more money and going to a store with a customer satisfaction policy. I just bought a 19" Samsung 193v and it had one lit pixel (would display blue on a black background...)

I returned it and got a new one, with no bad pixels. No it doesnt have DVI, and its only 25ms (I still dont notice ghosting in games), but knowing I can take the monitor back if I dont like it makes it worth the money. Paid $800 CDN.

My Dell 1800FP and Sony HX73 both came with 0 dead pixel. Heck my old Envision 15inch still has 0 dead pixels.

Back