Are 17" Laptops Becoming Extinct?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have a 17" Lenovo Laptop that is a couple years old and I still really like it. It runs everything really well. It will even run Cyberpunk 2077 with Raytracing turned on really well, maybe not extreme settings at 4k 120fps but at my 1080 display resolution and high settings I find it extremly playable.
Back on topic :) I got an E-mail from Lenovo for a sale on there website which I get often, I went there and was looking at Laptops and I seen a bunch of 15" and the newer 16" ones but not a single 17". I have been seeing alot of the new 16" size laptops for other brands as well but haven't really looked into other brands to see of they had 17" Laptops as well.

Just wondering if 17" laptops were dying out and why?

I currently have a 17" Lenovo Laptop that is a couple years old and I still really like it. It runs everything really well. It will even run Cyberpunk 2077 with Raytracing turned on really well, maybe not extreme settings at 4k 120fps but at my 1080 display resolution and high settings I find it extremly playable.
Back on topic :) I got an E-mail from Lenovo for a sale on there website which I get often, I went there and was looking at Laptops and I seen a bunch of 15" and the newer 16" ones but not a single 17". I have been seeing alot of the new 16" size laptops for other brands as well but haven't really looked into other brands to see of they had 17" Laptops as well.

Just wondering if 17" laptops were dying out and why?
There are a few brands sticking to 17-inch laptops, like Dell (XPS 17). But you're right in that the seem to be fading away.

I'd chalk it up to a number of factors. To begin with, 16-inch laptops often cover what a 17-inch laptop was used for, and in many cases are close enough or better in terms of resolution and performance. Those that really want to go big, meanwhile, can get 18-inch systems like the Razer Blade 18. And the simple reality is that many mainstream users are perfectly happy with a 15-inch or smaller laptop, whether they're gaming or just watching YouTube.

If I could get a 20" laptop for gaming I would. I can't stand small screens. External monitors are fine if you are using a laptop at home for some reason but on the go that's not really viable.

If I could get a 20" laptop for gaming I would. I can't stand small screens. External monitors are fine if you are using a laptop at home for some reason but on the go that's not really viable.
I can't remember who made it, but on YouTube I seen a review of a 24" curved display laptop. I think It was like $6000 if I remember correctly. But this was a while ago and obviously limited production.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Didn't Dell make a 20 inch laptop once upon a time? Had a Radeon Mobility X1800 I think? Or am I thinking of someone else...

Didn't Dell make a 20 inch laptop once upon a time? Had a Radeon Mobility X1800 I think? Or am I thinking of someone else...
No, you're right... it was the XPS M2010, and it was basically a desktop that happened to fold shut. Good specs for the time, but Dell unsurprisingly axed it given that few people were willing to lug almost 20 pounds to the coffee shop or a LAN party. Even modern all-in-ones like the iMac (about half the weight) are more portable.

No, you're right... it was the XPS M2010, and it was basically a desktop that happened to fold shut. Good specs for the time, but Dell unsurprisingly axed it given that few people were willing to lug almost 20 pounds to the coffee shop or a LAN party. Even modern all-in-ones like the iMac (about half the weight) are more portable.
I would love to have one just because. Not sure what I'd play on it now. Warcraft 2? :D I'm being facetious of course.

It would still be alot easier to move around than a desktop. I don't move my 17" Laptop very often but when I do I don't really find packing it up in the backpack and carrying it around that much of a chore.

Still waiting for one of these bad boys...

1687556304916.png

I think 17" laptops will be extinct in the next two to three years just like Sony's VAIO 18.4".

Ok, I got good news. I have seen a couple companies now that have 18" laptops. Both Razer and Alienware either have or are coming out with 18" laptops. I was looking at Razer's version and didn't care for how they used a small TKL keyboard, It looks so tiny in that huge chassis. But I think they used the space on the sides of the keyboard for speakers, or at least that's how it looked to me. Could be a good thing maybe. There pretty pricey however.
I looked at Alienwares website and I really liked the looks and specs of there 18" laptop. I seen how cheaply I could configure the laptop and got it down to about $1600, not to bad really. I paid $1400 for my 17" a couple years back.
Hopefully we will see more 18" laptops coming out soon.

[edit] WTF Razer! Just looked at their website to see how cheap I could get there 18" laptop and they want $2900 for there 4060 version. I looked further down and they want $1600 to upgrade from a 1tb SSD to a 2tb SSD. I really hope this was a typo!
https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/Razer-Blade-18/RZ09-0484REH3-R3U1
WTF.jpg

Last edited:
I have a different use case than you, no need to game and mainly spreadsheet and coding, but I have been scoping out the LG gram 17. Looks like you can get 12th Gen versions very cheaply these days (not much of a bump in 13th Gen anyway).

I have a different use case than you, no need to game and mainly spreadsheet and coding, but I have been scoping out the LG gram 17. Looks like you can get 12th Gen versions very cheaply these days (not much of a bump in 13th Gen anyway).
nor the 14th, and for that type of use are you really gonna notice any difference?!

nor the 14th, and for that type of use are you really gonna notice any difference?!
Pulled the trigger on a used (excellent condition) gram 17. 13th Gen i7, 32gb ram, 1tb SSD for less than 40% of retail. Seller had thousands of reviews and free shipping to APOs, so fingers crossed it's not a big box of dick-shaped glitter or hasn't been used as a cricket bat.

The box had an actual laptop (exactly as described) - had an at-the-install-screen copy of win11. Though once I got it up and running, some setting appeared to be controlled by an administrator/group policy. Maybe it.is my total lack of familiarity with windows 11. Either way, will probably swap out the SSD and fresh install win10 from known good media.

This thing is insanely light, definitely compared to my xps13, and should be perfect for travel! Looking forward to working on this giant screen, hah.

Back