Arctic Silver Break In period = Two Load temps?

liquidzyklon

Limp Gawd
Hello, I have a weird situation. I am using Arctic Silver 3. Ok, I applied the paste correctly, following the website's instructions. Now here's the deal. When I stress the CPU with Toast, I would get CPU Load = 46C and Case = 20C. But here's the deal, I've been putting it through 72 hours of break-in period (AS3 was 72hour, while AS5 is about 200 hours) using Toast and I might get 47C and Case = 20C, but it will drop down to 46C quickly. Now when I run Set@home, I get CPU Load = 43C and Case = 20C. This 43C temp is the same for all other appliation that stresses the CPU (including long period of gaming), but Toast still gives 46C. My question is, after the break-in period shouldn't my load temp all be 43C?

Break in period is a long time. I've had mine on for 3 months and now it's finally reducing temps. I used to idle at 46c, I now Idle at 39c.

Do a hot break in, Turn on the fan Let the temps get nice and hot. 80C will do wonders.

I dont use AS anymore. tried the 5 and nothing special over anything else.

As for a test setup I used it on my duallie rig, identical CPU's 1 SN apart. 1 has ceramiqe the other AS5. Some days one's 1c hotter than the other, then they flip flop.

Artic silver is worse in my vapo or tec cooling.

I've never seen anything magic about it. Maybe 2C on some reviews, but of course that's the main product they are reviewing, so of course the review has to say it's better.

as for your temps being higher, Not just room temp, but humidity makes a difference.

Toast is designed to give high temps nothing else. It does not aim to achieve anything just to heat the cpu by stressing every part of it. I notice this when doing prime 95 stress tests it maxes out about 2 degrees higher than anything else (except toast which is much the same).

I'm beginning to think Toast is special. It is able to bring my CPU temps up higher than any program, even Prime95 stays at 43C. Right now, I would consider my CPU Load to be 43C since every program gives me that result, only Toast gives 46C. Right after installation, every other program will give the CPU load at 46C, but now since everything dropped I would say "break-in" is done.
Do a hot break in, Turn on the fan Let the temps get nice and hot. 80C will do wonders.
lol, I prefer to keep my CPU working rather than buring it out :rolleyes:
Artic silver is worse in my vapo or tec cooling.
Well if I have a vapo or TEC, I don't care for a couple of degrees. It more about the maximum o/c that counts. Too poor to have any experience with this.
Break in period is a long time. I've had mine on for 3 months and now it's finally reducing temps. I used to idle at 46c, I now Idle at 39c.
I used to think that too, but after reading a lot of reviews they say to stress the CPU for 72 hours straight and then they take the results for comparisons. I was too newbie before to understand that and my temps used to be idle = 41C and load = 46C. Now I get idle = 39C and load = 43C.

But my question still stands, how come other programs like Prime95, Seti@home, Fold@Home, Sandra, etc. can't seem to bring my temps this high. I am definitely happy because these are about the lowest temps I have every gotten, but I'm one of those people who wants to know why. MAXIMUM stress is what I was trying to achieve to do a "proper" (eg. lower temp) break-in for the AS3.

Thanks for the link Silversink, I've been there before :) After reading that I went to look for Toast and CPU Burn. Toast does run slightly cooler compared to CPU Burn. CPU Burn can keep my CPU at 47C.

I have been so stupid, that link answered my question. Thanks Silversink. :D

Originally posted by liquidzyklon
Thanks for the link Silversink, I've been there before :) After reading that I went to look for Toast and CPU Burn. Toast does run slightly cooler compared to CPU Burn. CPU Burn can keep my CPU at 47C.

I have been so stupid, that link answered my question. Thanks Silversink. :D

I'm glad the information was useful to you, have a nice weekend :)

Back