Anything but PCI?

Adrnshw6

Limp Gawd
A while back I remember reading an interview with a guy from ageia, and I remember him saying something about there being different versions of the PPU card, one for PCI slots, and one for PCI-E 4x slots. I remember him stating that the one for PCI-E 4x would be a bit better than the regular PCI card. Anyone know if there will be a version for PCI-E released? I have a PCI-E 4x slot, and bought this motherboard becuase of the prospect of putting a PPU card in it. All I have seen from the pictures of BFG and Asus are PCI cards, what happend to PCI-E?

I dont see why they would use a 4x slot when a 1x does the job just as good as your normal pci cards.

The chip is probably capable of PCI-E 4x, but the PCI-E card (when it comes out) will very much be PCI-E 1x pin compatible. Even if the card was an “upgraded model”, it would have to increase it’s bandwidth needs by something like 20x before PCI-E 1x bandwidth might become a concern.

GotNoRice said:
The chip is probably capable of PCI-E 4x, but the PCI-E card (when it comes out) will very much be PCI-E 1x pin compatible. Even if the card was an “upgraded model”, it would have to increase it’s bandwidth needs by something like 20x before PCI-E 1x bandwidth might become a concern.

Ok. Let's have them make it 20x faster and 20x better and it should use ~20x more bandwidth. Now lets get our 4x PCI-E card! ;)

I seriously don't see it saturating a 1x PCI-E for a while, and leaving the PCI slot (for me anyways) is just a way of managing resources. I have a PCI sound card, and may be getting a Firewire card, so that'd leave the PhysX card out. I have some open PCI-E slots, though.

I see PCI slowly leaving the scene as more and more PCI-E cards emerge. Similar to the way ISA left. Slowly, but surely. I remember a few 486's with PCI slots, and I remember a socket 370 with one ISA slot. After that, ISA was gone. For the mainstream market, anyway. I'm sure you can still find some boards with it, but they are more specialty ones.

;) Amanda

please exuse my ignorence, but what other add in cards are there that use pcie, besides some raid cards?

lozaning said:
please exuse my ignorence, but what other add in cards are there that use pcie, besides some raid cards?
http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_in...r-pci-express-retail/cName/pvr-cardstv-tuners
And HD tuners are on the way. I've also seen Firewire/USB type cards in PCIe as well as network cards.
Adrnshw6 said:
I remember him stating that the one for PCI-E 4x would be a bit better than the regular PCI card.
Adrnshw6 said:
He didn't say the PCIe card would be better muchless did he say it would use or even need a PCIe x4 slot, all he said was that the PCIe interface was very scalable probably in the sense that it offers a dedicated pathway for the card unlike regular PCI (shared bandwidth). IIRC the PCIe cards that ere shown off even had PCIe x1 connectors on them.

I'd like to see this card fit into the PCI-E 4X slot since it's only the one available on my mobo. Thank you Asus for the poor PCI slot layout.

Despotes said:
I'd like to see this card fit into the PCI-E 4X slot since it's only the one available on my mobo. Thank you Asus for the poor PCI slot layout.

If im not mistaken you actually can put a x1 card into a x4 slot. I believe PCI-Express was designed that you can put lower PCI-Express Cards into higher end PCI-Express slots. For example since my wording is probably bad, I can take a PCI-Express x1 network card and put it in my PCI-Express x16 slot and it should work. So I see no problem putting that Physx PCI-Express x1 card into you x4 slot.

That's right, if it fits in a PCI-e 1x slot it fits in a PCI-e 4x slot though it will still only use 1x and not automaticly 4x.

BFG and PhysX.com are both showing the card with only a PCI slot configuration. I hope their images are inaccurate.

I think I remeber seeing images of the Agiea development cards, that had both the PCI and PCI-E connectors. I think they are waiting to put the PCI-E versions out there though (as for why, I don't know).

Xipher said:
I think I remeber seeing images of the Agiea development cards, that had both the PCI and PCI-E connectors. I think they are waiting to put the PCI-E versions out there though (as for why, I don't know).

It's business. They want to sell as many PCI cards as they can, and then release the PCIe cards, so that you'll have to buy another one.

Well, the ones selling the actually cards might be doing that (Asus and BFG IIRC). Waiting for a PCI-Express version doesn't sound like a bad idea for those that have the PCI-E slots available. Hopefully that isn't too far off, but also it would be nice to see some of the games that make good use of it by that time.

knupxfon said:
It's business. They want to sell as many PCI cards as they can, and then release the PCIe cards, so that you'll have to buy another one.

that doesnt make any sense,, why would you buy another one? just for the interface?

osalcido said:
that doesnt make any sense,, why would you buy another one? just for the interface?

Because it might have more features or be faster. I do agree if the PPU was doing just fine in my PCI slot and I didn't need to use it for something else like a X-Fi then I would be fine. Its not just the PhysX card that is PCI only its Creative also who only has PCI sound cards.

I still think a PCIe card is probably a long ways off considering its limited PCI avaliablility.

Let me know if this makes sense or not. Can it be because there is still a good amount of people out there with only PCI slots so if they release the PCI and PCIe x1 at the same time, most people will get the x1 version while only a small minority will get the PCI version. Thus there is wasted PCI versions because not many people are buying them because most of us has x1 slots. So they release the PCI versions first because everyone wants these cards so they will be force to go PCI everyone buys them then in a year or so release the x1 versions and then cut back on the PCI versions. Most people will have the PCI versions and only people who are now upgrading or getting a physx card will get the x1 and not any wasted PCI versions. May sound stupid but I gave it a shot... Dont hate me if this is complete nonsense :D

Lazy_Moron said:
Let me know if this makes sense or not. Can it be because there is still a good amount of people out there with only PCI slots so if they release the PCI and PCIe x1 at the same time, most people will get the x1 version while only a small minority will get the PCI version. Thus there is wasted PCI versions because not many people are buying them because most of us has x1 slots. So they release the PCI versions first because everyone wants these cards so they will be force to go PCI everyone buys them then in a year or so release the x1 versions and then cut back on the PCI versions. Most people will have the PCI versions and only people who are now upgrading or getting a physx card will get the x1 and not any wasted PCI versions. May sound stupid but I gave it a shot... Dont hate me if this is complete nonsense :D
that's basically what i said, just more spelled out.

benamaster said:
Because it might have more features or be faster. I do agree if the PPU was doing just fine in my PCI slot and I didn't need to use it for something else like a X-Fi then I would be fine. Its not just the PhysX card that is PCI only its Creative also who only has PCI sound cards.

I still think a PCIe card is probably a long ways off considering its limited PCI avaliablility.

Creative has a reason, their cards weren't designed to go into PCIE slots, it's also been PCI for years now. Ageia has no reason, they have a fresh rollout and confirmed thier cards working for pcie.

Ockie said:
Creative has a reason, their cards weren't designed to go into PCIE slots, it's also been PCI for years now. Ageia has no reason, they have a fresh rollout and confirmed thier cards working for pcie.

Remember how long it took creative to get a PCI card out the door? They have no good reason to give the consumer what they ask for, since there is hardly any competition. :(

taqueso said:
Remember how long it took creative to get a PCI card out the door? They have no good reason to give the consumer what they ask for, since there is hardly any competition. :(

This could be a legitimate reason, howver I don't think they'd want to lose the foothold that they have no by lagging behind.

taqueso said:
Ah, the very core of Creative's existence.
Ockie said:
This could be a legitimate reason, howver I don't think they'd want to lose the foothold that they have no by lagging behind.
The only way Ageia is going to "lag behind" is when ATI and NV release their GPU accelerated physics app, this is pretty much a money issue. Why would a manufacture want to make a card (PCIe) that most of it's core market can't use? By going with PCI classic they can reach everyone, especially the "poor" gamers who refuse to upgrade to anything modern. :rolleyes:

Back