Anyone using an Arctic Freezer II (280/360) with an Asus 790 Motherboard?

Violator

Gawd
As part of my new build, I was planning on getting an ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F/13700K, with an Arctic Freezer II 280 cooler. However, I've been reading about incompatibility issues with some 690/790 series motherboards (Asus, quite a lot). While some folk say you can just remove the PCB header on the pump, Arctic themselves say it won't fit (due to capacitors).

While I'd normally believe the actual company that makes them, others have suggested later revisions of the cooler do fit. So, does anyone have this combo successfully? And if it isn't going to fit, what's a good alternative 280 size cooler for a 13700K?

Maybe some kind of mixup in the information?

The first iteration of the non-RGB version had a cap installed that you could remove for compatibility reasons. Looking at a pcb does not hurt.

You simply have to pray that your motherboard does not come with a big bend. z790 apex did and the tolerances have been screwed by the bend so that i had to grind down a rail from the AIO to make it fit.

You on the other hand have to simply buy the rgb Version:

1690973135061.png

Have fun with it. Your ears will thank you.

ps: The installed rgb fans wobble a bit between 750 and 850 rpm. If you intend to buy 3 more fans for push and pull: The non-RGB fans wobble as well but can produce the same power whith less rpm (-200rpm ish).
At 41% pwm the pump runs at 100% (Around 800 rpm -.-)

Last edited:
Maybe some kind of mixup in the information?

The first iteration of the non-RGB version had a cap installed that you could remove for compatibility reasons. Looking at a pcb does not hurt.

You simply have to pray that your motherboard does not come with a big bend. z790 apex did and the tolerances have been screwed by the bend so that i had to grind down a rail from the AIO to make it fit.

You on the other hand have to simply buy the rgb Version:

View attachment 587500

Have fun with it. Your ears will thank you.

ps: The installed rgb fans wobble a bit between 750 and 850 rpm. If you intend to buy 3 more fans for push and pull: The non-RGB fans wobble as well but can produce the same power whith less rpm (-200rpm ish).
At 41% pwm the pump runs at 100% (Around 800 rpm -.-)
It was the RBG version I was looking at. Where did you get that info above? If I look at Arctic Support for either the 280 or 280 RBG, I see this
1690976332524.png

Used a 280 and now a 360 and no problems with either one. Bought a 420 but it was just too big. Gave it to a friend and he hasn't had any problems either.

Used a 280 and now a 360 and no problems with either one. Bought a 420 but it was just too big. Gave it to a friend and he hasn't had any problems either.
Well, Arctic support have said categorically that the 280 won't fit on most current Asus 790 models, there's not enough clearance around the CPU socket. So I'm now looking at the Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Master, which isn't on their 'incompatible' list, but also seems as good as the Asus.

If you feel comfortable putting sandpaper on double sided tape and know the "wax on - wax off" technique you should not worry.
Grinding down 3 mm from one side of both rails is rather easy.

If you feel comfortable putting sandpaper on double sided tape and know the "wax on - wax off" technique you should not worry.
Grinding down 3 mm from one side of both rails is rather easy.
To be fair, I'd rather not be 'grinding down' any part of a 500 quid motherboard.

I have an intel z790 apex board and the inner (double) hole is for mounting.
The outer one is not going to be used so i didn´t worry grinding close to it.
I did shorten that yellow bit as not to scratch my ssd cooler more during maintance of the paste.

Mind you I had a very bent board out of the box so my troubles may to be yours.

In general it ought to fit if it is on the compatibility list, no?

If it does not fit at least it is a valid reason to get your money back.

Back