Anyone Know how to mount a slk-800 to a 9800 pro?

extreme

n00b
Anyone know how to do this? Or have pics?

I wouls search for it but that feature is turned off.

lol, I don't think you can mount a heatsink that big on a VPU. The SLK-800 goes on a CPU. :cool:

Sure you can it would take up 2 or 3 pci slots though.

If you want to do it you are going to have to drill holes in the slk-800 to mount it to the 9800PRO.

Would be a very cool mod (literally)

i'll be waiting for a post entitled "MY $300 CARD GOT A CHUNK RIPPED OUT OF IT OMFG!!!11111!!"

i wouldnt do it.. thats one heavy mofo to put on there

thats overkill, there are smaller HS that would give u the same cooling, also ur usually better off with aluminium on graphics cards becuase of the weight:rolleyes:

i'll be waiting for a post entitled "MY $300 CARD GOT A CHUNK RIPPED OUT OF IT OMFG!!!11111!!"

LMAO:D

Its doable. A long time ago I saw a guy who used some uber glue stuff to glue an SLK900 to the 9800 pro shim :O I'd only do it if I used real mounting hardware and I proped it somehow from the bottem so the card doesent break off...

I had an Alpha Pal mounted to a Geforce2 Ultra. It held the weight just fine. That SLK-800 is a heavy mofo though. I would try to secure it to more places than just the heatsink mounting holes. Zip strips are exellent in this capacity.

#1 It's possible. Super glue is your friend.
#2 It's very very very heavy.
#3 It's not worth it! Unless you're gonna volt mod it don't bother.
#4 Watercool!!

I had an Alpha Pal on a 9500 Pro and my overclock was just a bit higher. It wasn't worth voiding the shit out of my warranty and losing a couple PCI slots.

But it did look pretty damn cool....

Also remember to use lots of thermal compound. The shim creates a much bigger gap then you're used to with cpus.

I do not remember where but some place I seen where someone put a SK-6 on one. But again no clue where I seen that. They had pictures of the whole thing and all as part of the story also. What they had to do is cut some of the fins where the new holes needed drilled. But the 800 is a lot bigger than the 6 and not sure if the card would hold that much up without breaking.

it's probably BECAUSE of the gap that you only gained a few MHz. I'd personally go with a cooljag or other variant of a 1u cooler. Its cooling is for 1u racks and rack mounted servers generally use some pretty hefty processing power. It will be able to handle your puny VPU pretty easily ;D

Just make sure you're going to be able to use the cooler... (i.e. remove the shim or check its 'flatness'... in my experiences the corners of the shim were the highest part, and the middles of the sides were damn near flat re: core.

Thanks for the hepl guys!

I wont mount it i quess. I am afraid that i will mess it up and that will be the 3rd 9800pro i have lost.

Quess i will just have to add a another waterblock into my loop.

Thanks again guys!

uh... details of the other 2 9800 pros? Sell them cheap? ;D if so dibs ;D

Back