Any way to add more drive space to a partition?

masshole

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, Im an idiot.... when I formatted my HDD a few months ago, I only gave 5GB to my XP partition... now I only have 175mb left. The rest of my partitions is as follows:

Programs: 15gb
Video games: 15gb
My Docs 10gb
Back up 10gb
etc etc....

Is there anyway I can take from those drives and pass it over to the XP HDD?

Thanks for any help.

Partition Magic will resize partitions while keeping the data intact, its not free so thats if you've got it.

Another vote for Partition Magic. Not a bad idea to have some disaster insurance though. Power Quest makes another program named Drive Image. Copying an image of the partitions that you are going to manipulate with Partition Magic would leave you something to fall back on in case of a catastrophe. Haven't heard of anybody having problems with Partition Magic firsthand, but there's always the chance. :)

Why are you running so low on space? If it's just updates to the OS, your options include canning all of it starting over if you don't have the $$$(or another way of scoring a copy of Partition Magic). You should look at what is taking up all your space in that partition. Do some housecleaning if you can. You're getting dangerously low. Are you controlling your swap file or is your OS?

yea, I think its just some windows apps, my antivirus software... yea im controlling the swap file. im thinking of takin the plunge tonight and reformating. i seriously think i have the record in reformats in a 6 month period. im about up to 10- no joke.

Partition magic is the best tool for this, but maybe one of the tools on The Ultimate Boot CD can do it for free.

I can only recommend that you make a good back up or drive image ahead of time.

You might not be SOL...

-dB

Drive Image doesn't cost all that much and it's a great way to create backups in case of disaster. It would get use more than Partition Magic which you may only use every once in a while. If you had Drive Image you could make images of your partitions to CD or DVD(preferred for size reasons) and then repartition/reformat with programs that you should already have, and then restore your images. Your computer will never know anything happened. No reactivation of XP or reinstallation of any programs. Staples, Best Buy, Comp USA... Simplest yet $$$. Norton's Ghost program would work the same way. I'm not sure if they bundled Ghost with anything. I think they included it in some of their Utility Suites. Ask around you may find a buddy that can hook you up if finances are that tight. Both Ghost and Drive Image are wonderful programs that everyone should have for just these types of situations.;)

Back