Any reason not to get the Intel D875PBZ?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
Some of you may have read about the trouble I'm having with my 9800 AiW: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=713350

And if you read far enough down, I talked about how I took it to my friend's house and it worked just fine in his machine. He has an Intel motherboard (the one from the retail edge bundle), so I was thinking about selling my Abit AI7 and getting the Intel D875PBZ, which is Intel's fastest board.

I originally thought I would want the OCing options the Abit offers, but stability is the most important thing to me, and so far I haven't done anything that made me think I needed to OC. I'm not a hard core gamer and having a 9800 pro is probably overkill for me, but I was able to get a really good price on it, and I wanted a card that had DVI out and AIW capabilities.

From what I've read, this is a rock solid board, and really I was just wanting to know if anyone had any experiences with it, or had any tips in general.

I've built a computer with the D875PBZ and it is a very stable board. No issues with any hardware I put in it. You're right about losing the overclocking options, but if you're not using them anyway there won't be a problem. They should support Prescott too.

The only reason that I can see about not getting that D875PBZ is that it's a tad pricey for what it offers. But then again, nothing's really cheap to begin with. Just look at the features that the D875PBZ has to offer: 533/800MHz FSB support (cannot use older 400MHz FSB P4 CPUs even if they're of the Northwood type, since the D875PBZ knows only 533 and 800 MHz FSB settings), great dual-channel PC3200 DDR memory support (some tweaking of the memory timings is possible), SATA RAID, no fewer than eight USB 2.0 ports, FireWire, Gigabit LAN, blah blah blah. But other i875P-based motherboards with so many features cost almost as much $$$ as the D875PBZ anyway (and a couple of those actually cost more), so I'd say that if you must have today's cutting-edge entertainment PC available, then the D875PBZ is a good foundation for such a PC.

Back