Antec TruePower480 fan noise

DekeHead

Weaksauce
I have an Antec TruePower480 that has developed a noisy fan. Sort of a clicking sound that is really only noticeable when the fans are spinning at higher RPMs. Is there any easy way to replace the fans myself? If so, what sort of fan would you recommend. Otherwise, I'll have to RMA and be down for a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

fan replacement is very easy

1. get a replacement fan (something rated similarly to the stock one if you want stock-like cooling, or swap in a Panaflo L1A to make it quieter)

2. open your PSU (i just unplug and open, you might want to leave it unplugged overnight)

3. unscrew old fan/unplug old fan

4. cut the leads of hte old fan, and solder/twist/tape/clip the leads of the replacement fan to the plug of the old fan

5. install new fan

6. reassemble

BUT... this will void your warranty...

Personally Id reverse 1 & 2
just because some PSU have an odd fan depth dimension
so you might need a 20mm instead of a 25mm

power supplies dont hold charge, no need to leave discharging more than 30 seconds or so

Ice Czar said:
still not a good idea to lick the caps however :p

i did it once for somone who wouldent stop moaning about how psus can hold charge for years and didnt believe me that it was just for monitors

atx psu's are designed to hold the +5 stby line for like 15 seconds or something tho

Gunga Din2.jpg

Your a braver man than me Gunga Din :p

dude whatever, whatever, i do what i want :p ;)

no seriously, a psu dosent have like thousands upon thousands of volts like a monitor, nor does it have huge scary caps...

the maximum time a psu should ever have a charge no matter how poorly designed is about 15~30 seconds... and most of the time nothing crazy and DC, since there is no longer incoming AC voltages...

so nothing that would do more than just tingle :cool:

FLECOM said:
dude whatever, whatever, i do what i want :p ;)

no seriously, a psu dosent have like thousands upon thousands of volts like a monitor, nor does it have huge scary caps...

the maximum time a psu should ever have a charge no matter how poorly designed is about 15~30 seconds... and most of the time nothing crazy and DC, since there is no longer incoming AC voltages...

so nothing that would do more than just tingle :cool:

FLECOM you are the new stevie-o/johnny knoxsville and you deserve a miller high life.

I had to change out the fans in my Antec TruePower. I actually did a mod at the same time. Installed a plexglass cover from svc and then placed 2 very quiet panaflo into it. Pretty easy and looks cool.....

I ended up doing this mod because Antec never answered any of my emails......

Back