Antec Sonata case ok for oc'ing application?

soldano

n00b
i'll be building a new system soon and like the look, size and how quiet they are but am concerned about how the temps might be. any experience with it and would the 380w psu be enough?

the computer will probably consist of:

oc'd 2.4c or prescott w/ a zalman hsf
mb w/ 865 or next gen chipset & onboard nic
1gb of ram
2 hdd's
2 optical drives
sound & vid cards
2nd 120mm case fan

this may have been asked before but search is disabled :(

im pretty sure that it is a very good case, it should cool efficiently for your needs

the only experience i've had with the case is when it was brought to a LAN and i noticed that the 120mm fan included does not push too much air, that could be easily fixed if u want to add another stronger 120mm fan. Even with the fan not blowing too much, that computer had good temps...i dont remember the actual temps but they were good for the system

gl w/ ur new comp:D

these cases are pretty good for aircooled oc's. The PSU is quality and also they are pretty quiet when you 7v the fans. I would recomend getting another 120 so you would have 2 and 7v both of them. Possible add a window and another 80mm 7v fan for the vid card. That would give you even airflow and still be quiet while still keeping you components cool. I personally like the slk3700amb better. It has a better HD arrangment and intake fan arrangment too. But it isnt "piano" black. But thats alright cause I painted mine anyway. The PSU's in them are very good as well. I was running my 350w with 2 HD's, 2 DVD ROM's and a 9800 and OC'ed a bit without a hitch. Good Luck.

I have this case and give it mixed reviews at best. Here are the pros and cons

The case is the quietest on the market, at least that is how they market it and with the zalman it is amazingly quite. The power supply is one of the best quality ones out there while being one of the quitest, has a 92mm intake and a 80mm exhaust. The cost of the case is approx 140$ canadian, and the cost of just the powersupply is over 80$ thus the case is a bargin at less than 60$ if you want to look at it in that light. The harddrives have nice rubber gromets to absorb noise.

The downsides are the case is super small, meaning you have no idea how small. The motherboard cannot be removed when the second 120mm fan is installed, if the 120mm fan isnt a low profile fan. The case was so small that I had to install the zalman once the motherboard was in since it would fit being attached prior to the motherboard.

So, how do i like this case?

I think soundwise it is the best I have owned. I had previously decided that I would rather a 2200ishmhz barton being quite instead of the 2300ishmhz barton i had which was much louder. The computer is less than a foot from my bed and it is easy to sleep by. Thus I would say cooling performance you wont loose anything from the case that you are using now. However this case has 0 water cooling potential due to the size limits, it will fit the zalman but the motherboard must be installed first.

Originally posted by c00z
The power supply is one of the best quality ones out there while being one of the quitest, has a 92mm intake and a 80mm exhaust.

Actually, the powersupply is of a single fan design.

Oh ya I agree with cooz on that too. I saw a water cooled sonata and it had to be external. I have the slk3700AMB and it is much easier to work with and will be water cooled this weekend all internal. It too has the grommets on the hard drives and the HD cage is removable with a thumbscrew and then you have alot of work room.

However this case has 0 water cooling potential due to the size limits

Oh ya I agree with cooz on that too. I saw a water cooled sonata and it had to be external.

:rolleyes: Glad I didnt read your post before I decided to install water cooling into my Sonata. Given it turned out to be such a simple affair. 100% internal, did not require any case mods whatsoever, was up and running in like 5 minutes. Rad is a BIX, situated on front fan mount. Therefore no loss of case functionality (ie no removing drive bays). Pumping chores handled by a maxijet res/pump combo, block is DD maze3. While installing the BIX checked clearance and now realize I could have even have gone with the dual fan BIX2! My AMD2400 is trucking along at 2400 mhz on 1.9v nice and stable.

This case rocks for water cooling been my experience.

The powersupply has 2 fans, i am 100% sure on this since i had it out and it does have the fan specs that i mentioned above. How anyone would fit watercooling inside this case is something i cannot fathom. I have 2 120mm fans installed 2 harddrives, the huge zalman and the case is cramped and just fits that for internals. I would hate to see anyone fit watercooling in it, if you have i would love to see pics

Follow link for pics. 4 pci cards, 2 hdds so decent amount of hw installed yet still not looking that crowded. Wonders never cease, eh :D

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve...77909585&m=5760932485&r=8460900585#8460900585

re the PS - mine has one fan only. Antec made a special quiet version of the 380 true for the Sonata. Not to say yours doesnt have the standard retail dual fan version, they may have swapped due to stock shortage, who knows....

Yeah, that is quite tight as i mentioned above you need to take both the radiator off and the 120mm fan before you would be able to remove your motherboard and then still the motherboard removal is quite tight at best. I still cant believe you fit watercooling in there, such a small case, I would of probally went with one of thier larger cases for watercooling since the radiator must not get a ton of airflow.

I still cant believe you fit watercooling in there, such a small case

LOL actually its not half bad to work on - much to my pleasent surprise. To get at the mem slots I have to first remove the rad fan but thats a snap. I've owned larger cases in the past that weren't this easy to water cool with their firkin 80 mm mounts and akward internal 3.5 bay layouts.

IME folks who want a small stylish case combined with wc'ing should take a serious look at the Sonata. But get a BIX2 :cool:

Check out my threah here. It is basically the same case with one exception, the front fan in the Sonata is on the inside of the hard drive rack, and on my case it is on the outside of the hard drive rack, can't see it in the pic as it is actually on the outside of the case but still undet the plastic, which is why I bought this case instead of the Sonata. I wanted both fans pulling air OUT. I did not want a cross flow of air from front to back. And I think the "from the botton up draft works quite well from my temps.

The sonata rocks, the power supply is so quiet. Do youself a favor and get some thermaly regulated fans.

PsycoGeek, nice air cooling setup. The BQE is larger then the Sonata, and its airflow potential looks good. Whereas the Sonata offers additional front panel connection options, built in filter (yours is slick but not many are likely to follow your example LOL) and a nicer paint finish. Slightly higher wattage PS included as well. Boils down to personal preference, I think either would make a good home for a system.

Going back to the ps fan question pulled the following down from Antec site spec sheet for Sonata:

380Watt TruePower
Single fan design
ATX 12V for AMD™ & Intel® systems

Antec specially modified the 380true for the Sonata for additional noise reduction benefit.

It's a little cramped, and a little flimsy (I like 1mm versus .8mm steel)

Anyway, airflow and quietness is pretty good, so if you're willing to sacrifice space it would be fine.

...but I'd rather go with the SLK3700BQE.

Originally posted by calvin_q
PsycoGeek, nice air cooling setup. The BQE is larger then the Sonata, and its airflow potential looks good. Whereas the Sonata offers additional front panel connection options, built in filter (yours is slick but not many are likely to follow your example LOL) and a nicer paint finish. Slightly higher wattage PS included as well. Boils down to personal preference, I think either would make a good home for a system.

Going back to the ps fan question pulled the following down from Antec site spec sheet for Sonata:

380Watt TruePower
Single fan design
ATX 12V for AMD™ & Intel® systems

Antec specially modified the 380true for the Sonata for additional noise reduction benefit.

The BQE does include a front intake filter, and a 350w Tru Power. There are also 2 front USB ports. Look closely below the 5.25" drive bay door, to the right. The major difference is in the front fan placement.

Regarding front ports was speaking to additional 1394 and audio connects of the Sonata.

Was not aware that it had a filter, stand corrected - thanks.

Power supply in BQE actually SmartPower series. The TruePower supplies have additional features; fan-only connectors, fan sensing wire, and Aux 12V connector. Plus I assume higher quality electronics as SmartPower series MTBF rating is 50,000 hrs versus 80,000 for TruePower supplies.

Thanks for clarifying that on the ports. I didn't know the Sonata came with them. And yeah, you are right on the power supply as well. I thought it was a True Power, but it isn't. I'm using an Enermax PS anyway, modded with an 80mm fan replacement- Panaflo L1A low speed fan. The Enermax also has a 92mm fan, but it runs on 5v only, and my 92mm Panaflo low speed fan can't handle 5v (won't start). But the 80mm connector (with fan speed control) is 12v. The Panaflo is much quieter anyway, and moves more air.

-edit- In any case, EITHER Antec case is a good choice.

Well, the SLK3700/LX-6A19 is the best Ive found.

I toss the stock PS, nowhere near good enough, I use a 500+W with a single 120mm fan on the bottom just above the CPU area. Run all 3 120mm fans at 7V. Im using a panaflo L1A on the cpu with a duct from the front of the case. I use sections of airconditioner filter material for a filter....the stock filters are SO restrictive its horrible. Just do the blow-thru test....how much gets through? NADA. I use a layer of mineralspirit sound deadner, and a layer of melamine over that on all the surfaces I can, silicone fan isolators, and weatherstriping for the door edges its very quiet but weighs a ton. Only way yoou know the HDisks are accessing is to look at the LED. Super quiet while running at asskick speed.

i wish the Sonata came with a window or somthing, i hate making my own window :eek:

I'm glad there are still [good] cases being made without windows. Good thing that there are still people out there with minimalistic tastes. :D

anyone try modding the side panels for fans? Air intake seems to be a problem with this case since it's front fan is located far from the front bezel.

Originally posted by MajinWu
anyone try modding the side panels for fans? Air intake seems to be a problem with this case since it's front fan is located far from the front bezel.

I agree! I am so tired of windows in these computer cases. I picked myself up one of these Sonata's and am very impressed with it's appearance. My only con is the stupid holes in the sides that spell out Antec, they could have been left off with little to no difference in case temperature.

Originally posted by MajinWu

You could try a removeable "shroud" around the hard drive cage. That would solve the problem real nice.

If you REALLY want to increase air flow check here .

Originally posted by c00z
The downsides are the case is super small, meaning you have no idea how small. The motherboard cannot be removed when the second 120mm fan is installed, if the 120mm fan isnt a low profile fan. The case was so small that I had to install the zalman once the motherboard was in since it would fit being attached prior to the motherboard.

I guess you must have a bigger board, I can install and remove my motherboard (MSI K7N2Delta-L) with Silent Boost HSF clipped on while two Panaflo's are installed (38mm thickness). It is really tight, especially with melamine foam all over (including the bottom of the PSU). I have to rotate and turn the motherboard in different ways to get it out.

sonota's have 0!! water cooling potential eh??

heh...

well, they might be hard to work around, and might be a little short on space, but like the man said... where there's a will, there's a way...

i had (and i say had, because i took it out; my sonota is now my LAN rig, and all that water cooling stuff was making the case a little heavy) a full watercooling setup in my sonota... and by full, i mean pump, res, dd blocks on cpu, gpu, and northbridge, and 2 120mm black ice extreme rads.... yes, 2...

although, (if anyone with a sonota has taken the time to drill out all the rivits and take the c-shell off, you'll know what i'm talking about) i had to move the 5 1/4" bay support bar across the top forward around 3 inches to make room for the rad on the top, and i lost 1 of my hard drive slots due to my res being in there...

was a fun project, lots of little details to pull your hair out about, and unfortunetly my digital camera ate the pictures before i took the rig apart....

oh, and by the way, getting the internal frame powdercoated black to match the outside of the case was the best idea i ever had... i'll post some pictures of the new aircooled glory soon...

oh, and about the front intake being lame... yes, this is true... but with the help of a dremel, you can slice up the front bezel internals a bit and put a 120mm fan on the front of the chassie still hidden behind the bezel (and with good airflow i might add)...

and regarding the "antec" drilled into the side pannels... a little bit of frosted acrylic and backlighting really produces a killer effect...

Back