Another "Which High Power/Performance PSU" Thread

Renegade87

Limp Gawd
I know several have started threads asking virtually the same question, but with all the new PSU's becoming available with some of the newer features, here goes.

I'm looking to build a new rig and am starting to make some final decisions on the components. Before I make any final decisions on the CPU/Mobo, I want to settle on probably the most overlooked component in the pc: the Power Supply.

After doing a little reading, one thing is clear, the PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 is regarded as the best ATX PS available!! But, at $219+ it ain't cheap. While I completely understand that you get what you pay for, I don't want to pay over $200 for a PS (PCP&C, Enermax, or SilentX) period!

Given the high power requirements of the latest crop of video cards (from both major GPU manufacturers) and the other components I'm planning on putting in my new rig, I'll need a high quality, high wattage PS I can depend on.

I'm also planning on a windowed case, so a little color (cable sleves, LED fans) wouldn't hurt either. But, I want to buy it that way off the shelf. I don't want to spend time modding any PS. Here's most of what I'm planning on running in the pc:

1) 2-3 Hard Drives
2) 2 Optical Drives (DVD ROM, DVDRW)
3) ATI X800XT PE Video Card
4) 3 Case Fans (minimum)
5) OC'd P4 3.4c (possibly)
6) Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
7) TV Tuner/Video Capture Card

I've seen all the glowing recommendations for the Fortron Source 530W And Antec 550W Truepower PS units, but they don't really have the features I'm looking for. I've seen some of the newer units from OCZ, EPower, Thermaltake, ect. but they don't have any history on which to base a decision (except possibly Thermaltake which i'm interested in the Silent PurePower 560W W0023).

The features I'd like in a PS are as follows:

1) High Quality, Reliability
2) 500 - 600 Watts
3) SATA Connectors
4) Colorful Sleved Cables (all of them)
5) $ under $125
6) LED Fans (negotiable)

Can anybody make any recommendations based on experience, or am I just going to have to accept the fact that if I want it all, I have to "bite the bullet" and get the PC P&C TurboCool 510 ATX-Deluxe ?

First off, i probably wouldn't recommend a higher watt model Thermaltake over the fortron/sparkle 530w. I've read about too many issues with the >480w model thermaltakes to feel comfortable recommending them, they don't seem to have the strongest +12v rail either.

With that big list of disqualifiers you have there....looks like a PCP&C is in your future. Ohterwise i'd recommend a psu in this particular order:

Fortron/Sparkle 530w
Antec True 550w or Enermax Noisetaker 470w
Or try this one and report back to us (4 seperate +12v rails) :D

You're right SJetski71, I am being picky, but I had a Supermicro slot 1 duallie go south on me because of a poor/underpowered PSU and don't want to repeat the experience should I want to OC this new rig.

Thanks for the info on the Tt. I'm thinking I may have to increase my budget some or just go get the PC P&C. The Enermax Noisetaker 600W PS "EG701P-VE SFMA" looks attractive also.

Has anybody seen this Antec NeoPower 480W Power Supply ?

i have the 510 Deluxe and i'm extremely happy with it. i'm very glad i went this route.

the Antec Neo looks very interesting as well. hopefully some reviews pop up soon.

well first off you can get a PCP&C 510 for $200 (as long as its not black with braiding)
then you should also compare apples to apples, (other supplies rated at 25C)
call it a 600watt when comparing it to other supplies (650 Max peak at 25C)

if you need the Deluxe for looks its a bit more, custom harness the same
other options (extrenal pots ect) even a little more

but then internal components are what matters
1. It has the lowest AC ripple of any the supplies Ive seen tested independently
2. While the transient response and voltage regulation of other supplies approach it in independent tests, they are nowhere near as fat on the amps per rail
3. It has a 5 year warranty (If ou dont void it immediately by popping the top and modding it)

actually what I dont see you asking is the really important questions
should I get a PSU with a 20 pin or 24 pin main power connector
should the auxillary be a 4 pin or an 8 pin, can I get a supply with both?
(making it EPS12V and ATX12V v2 compliant provided its using a 24 pin main)
should I get a supply with dual +12V rails or quad +12V rails?

as a note the PCP&C 510 comes stock w\ 2 SATA power connectors
if your after an overclocker, Id get it, void the warranty and mod it to what you want it to look like

but you really need to determine what your current board is going to accept
you dont want to get the supply only to find out you need an adapter to make it work

PS a Quad Rail PSU is for a dual CPU setup, and if you dont have one
its a waste, moreover your not even able to hook that extra rail up to the mobo without an 8 pin aux connector on the mobo

EPS12V v2.02 pdf

6.1.1 12V Power Rail Configuration

There are two types of 12V rail configurations for systems: 'Common plane' and "Split plane' processor power delivery. The 'common plane' system has both processors powered from a single 12V rail (+12V1) from the power supply. The 'split plane' system has both processors powered by seperate 12V rails (+12V1 and +12V2) one dedicated to each processor. The system in both cases, has an additional 12V rail to power the rest of the baseboard +12V loads and dc/dc converters. +12V1, +12V2 and +12V3 should not be connected together on the baseboard to ensure that 240VA protection circuits in the power supply operate properly

Table 6: 12V Rail Summary
........................................................................................................................................................................................
Common Plane System........................................................Split Plane System
+12V1........Processors.........................................................+12V1........Processor 1
+12V2........Baseboard components other than processors.......+12V2........Processor 2
+12V3........Drives and peripherals..........................................+12V3........Baseboards and components other than processors
...........................................................................................+12V4........Drives and peripherals

Are all SATA power connectors uniform or are there different types? I remember seeing something about a WD drive with a different connector.

So are the 4 SATA Seagates I bought this morning going to have any trouble connecting with the custom PCP&C PSU I just paid for this afternoon? (irrational buyer's anxiety at work here :D )

nope, other than there are just 2 connectors that come with the power supply :p

the HDDs might ship with 4 pin molex to SATA power connectors, many mobos supply a few,
and some drives accept either, so a little research is in order, you might need two more ;)

actual SATA power connectors are standard
but as mentioned some drives still accept standard 4 pin molex connectors as well

Serial ATA and the 7 Deadly Sins Of Parallel ATA

1. Clocking Scheme and Skew Problems
UltraATA uses a conventional non-interlocked (source-synchronous) clock signaling. This means that an additional clock signal acting as a strobe is sent along with the data. This source synchronous clocking is necessary because of the high propagation delays caused by cable length and trace impedance.

The drawback is still that any differences in electrical properties of the traces can cause a mismatch in timing, i.e., different arrival times for data and strobe signals or even between signals running on separate data lines. This problem is generally referred to as clock skew and directly relates to the signal voltage amplitude.

For those concerned about not having the correct power adapter on their power supply, here is the good news: All SATA drives will ship with power adapters like the one shown here. Picture courtesy of Seagate not positive that still holds true however

2. 3.3 V High-Low Signaling

The issues with 5V used up to the UDMA 33 standards regarding clock skew caused the industry to change the standard to 3.3 V signaling. The main advantage is a more symmetrical distribution of the high-low voltages around the 1.5V trip point. Keep in mind, though, that 3.3V still means massive charges traveling down the ribbon cables

Ice Czar said:
nope, other than there are just 2 connectors that come with the power supply :p

the HDDs might ship with 4 pin molex to SATA power connectors, many mobos supply a few,
and some drives accept either, so a little research is in order, you might need two more ;)

actual SATA power connectors are standard
but as mentioned some drives still accept standard 4 pin molex connectors as well
Check this out:

PCPAC_510_Custom.jpg

I'll post pics when I get it in a week or two.

Interesting Ive had mine for a few months now
and it only has 2 :p

looks like you all set ;)

errr...you ordered that with a 20 pin main?
thats a pretty short upgrade path especially for a PCP&C
Id have got the 24 pin and a converter

I just got my PC P&C 510 Deluxe today from Bigshot (Another member of the forum) and have it running smoothly in my new Lian Li V1000 case.

I must say that this is a sweet Power Supply!

I sat staring at the BIOS screen for like 5 minutes watching the voltages... The never moved!
Very solid.

I think you will be happy with the purchase.

Back