Another Burned Computer

My brother must have the worst hardware luck. While I've never had anything die or burn out on me, he's constantly had to replace parts. Well, now that I think about it, I actually had a PCI slot sparking after a capacitor on a TV card blew...black smoke = death!

The lastest issue was when his windows XP started acting funny. Programs started crashing, and then the computer did one of those endless reboot loops.

Ok, so he pulls it out and opens it up. Ahh, the smell of burnt silicon. Turns out, the power header on the motherboard has melted/burned pins. Every single one of the +5 lines is black. Woohoo, never seen that before.

My guess is something shorted out on the motherboad or ps. Oh well, maybe it'll force him to upgrade the aged 1.4t-bird SDRAM machine.

Your thoughts and opinions on what happened! Just curious.

Is his computer plugged into a UPS?

Surge protectors don't count as good power protection. They only block huge surges and they do it one, maybe two times tops. Everything else will get through to the pc.

Originally posted by blackrino9
Is his computer plugged into a UPS?

Surge protectors don't count as good power protection. They only block huge surges and they do it one, maybe two times tops. Everything else will get through to the pc.

why do you need a UPS? i thought they were just for people with "mission critical" shit, like servers?

No UPS on his machine. Just a surge protector.

But there's also 4 other machines in the house just on surge protectors and they're all fine. Our power lines are also really good, so I don't think it was that.

Back