amd

Suki243

Gawd
Im going to build a new rig most probably a shuttle, so i was wondering is the amd 64 worth it? or sohuld i stick with p4, this rig is going to go the distance. It isn't for intense gaming, its for my mom, this computer is supposed to last about 5-6 years what do u guys think?

i'm curious as to why the shuttle for non-gaming purposes. as i understand it the main benefit of shuttle is portability, followed by (i guess) aesthetic reasons.

for the long haul, i don't think the shuttle would be all that great, but then again i don't know much about shuttles to really criticize them.

however, it really depends on what you do w/ the computer that determines what processor you should choose.

you said its for your mom. does she use it for work or just at home? does she do more than data entry, surf internet, or word process? how demanding is she of speed and performance?

most people just need a computer for internet and some word processing/office applications.

a pentium 3 w/ 256 megs of ram is enough to run the internet and word.

so if its a long term home-use computer w/ no gaming and probably no use of the 64 bit processor, just don't use it.

Shuttle has one based on the new AMD64 chip, here. I don't know if it's been released yet.

Forgot to mention this, but if you buy something from Shuttle, it comes with its own motherboard, case, and power supply, with LAN and audio usually built in. You'll have to buy a separate CD/DVD burner, hard drive, RAM, and video card.

Originally posted by tiraides
Shuttle has one based on the new AMD64 chip, here. I don't know if it's been released yet.

that things gonna cost a small fortune

i know its not for gaming but my mom is a realtor she wants to be able to go to people's houses and show them pics, and she really isn't interested in a laptop, maybe three years, baisically im asking which one of the two is longer lasting, like i don't want it to go out of date anytime soon, and i want to be able to upgrade in the future. Right now i have a gateway 1ghz thats 5 years old, and that is the one this rig is going to replace

The current A64s won't be able to be upgraded without buying a whole new motherboard and chip.

But... I'm suprised(in a very big way) that you're considering A64 for a non-intense use computer.... I mean... sure, it needs to last a long time, but hey, a normal Athlon XP will get the job done.

ok then which cpu do u recommend
xp, 64, p4?
No P3's please
edit: how about the SB61G2R - 20th Anniversary Special Edition
with a 3.0 p4?

Originally posted by Suki243
i know its not for gaming but my mom is a realtor she wants to be able to go to people's houses and show them pics, and she really isn't interested in a laptop
Huh? I think a laptop is the best and most efficient option for her. She wants to lug in a case and a monitor and then have to hook them up to show pics at a client's home?

wow that suprises me...a small 64 bit board case and such for ~$250....interesting

Back