Almost burnt up my PPU

rcf1987 said:
There is a game out that uses it its called Bet on Soldier and its sitting on my desk, even tho I don't have a ppu.

Bet on soldier currently uses version 2.2 of the PhysX engine. PPU support was introduced in version 2.3.1. The game will not support the PPU until the next patch is released.

Terra said:
Now is it true that NOTHING uses the PPU-core now?

Terra - Just keeping ducking the answer ;)

Yes I would say it is true that "NOTHING" uses the PPU-core right now.
Because I wouldn't count a shitty little program that comes with the PPU as anything, nice try though, I give you 1/2 credit.

When a "GAME" shows up that actually uses it then I would call that something.

GotNoRice said:
Kind of interesting that I addressed this very notion in the post directly preceding yours. The answer to the 2nd part of your question is obvious: Magic

LOL
;)

JRT said:
Yes I would say it is true that "NOTHING" uses the PPU-core right now.
Because I wouldn't count a shitty little program that comes with the PPU as anything, nice try though, I give you 1/2 credit.

When a "GAME" shows up that actually uses it then I would call that something.

Does does the demo utilize the PPU core yes/no

"Nothing" include games, software ect...
You can't change the meaning of words just because you don't like their meaning.

Terra - Demo > "nothing"...sorry ;)

Just a warning to all you guys, this is straying into lock territory, so you might wanna kinda slide back toward the topic.

p[H]ant0m said:
Just a warning to all you guys, this is straying into lock territory, so you might wanna kinda slide back toward the topic.
Majin looks at Terra.... :p

Back OT
You're a lucky bastard GNR.
But at the same time you could have been the BFG PPU RMA test subject, which could have given us some info in that light.

Anyone know if any game with say Havok Physics could use the PPU if a patch was added?

Majin said:
Back OT
You're a lucky bastard GNR.
But at the same time you could have been the BFG PPU RMA test subject, which could have given us some info in that light.

Not sure how that would have worked out, it would have been kinda like sending an engineering sample CPU back to intel because of a broken pin or something.

Anyone know if any game with say Havok Physics could use the PPU if a patch was added?

I know there is at least one game that is coming out that supposedly supports both, can’t recall the name at the moment.

These guys come in here to share their rare experience with a new peice of hardware and you some of you guys are real jerkwads about it. Why the hell do you hang around here if you don't want to hear about new stuff and user experiences with it? Oh god forbid there are no games to play with it right now. HAVE YOU NO VISION? Its so sad to call yourself an enthusiast and act like that.

Majin said:
Majin looks at Terra.... :p

Don't blame me for peoples false ideas :D *L*

Terra - Only thing I am sad about is that i didn't spot overclockers was selling it :(

GotNoRice said:
Hmm, that’s interesting. Does anyone have this game that would be willing to check some file version numbers really quickly?

Usually located in the root game directory there are the PhysX engine DLL files.

Some examples:
PhysXLoader.dll
PhysXCore.dll
NxPhysics.dll

The version number of the file should correspond to the version of the PhysX engine used in the game. The PPU currently supports version 2.3.1, 2.3.2, and 2.4.0. Bet on Soldier, for example, uses version 2.2.0 and thus is not currently supported.

I have CoV and checked the files... there is a NxPhysics.dll in the folder, but looking at it with windows explorer doesn't give a version number. i also found
this press release that says that the PPU will be used with the mayhem missions, which will come out when I7 does... I7 should be hitting the test server in about a month, and in another month or 2, it should hit live...

Asian Dub Foundation said:
how can i be jealous of them having a card that has NO FUNCTION right now?

"OMG im so jealous cuz you guys have this card that only takes up space and blocks airflow!"

So then every single piece of software you had supported 2 dual core processors when you picked them up?

OMG i'm so jealous cuz you have 2 dual core processors that every program ever can utilize.

TheGamerZ said:
So then every single piece of software you had supported 2 dual core processors when you picked them up?

OMG i'm so jealous cuz you have 2 dual core processors that every program ever can utilize.

Very good pointe indeed...
I thought this forum was about hardware/new technologies...

Terra - Was I wrong? :)

There is a game out already that uses the PPU - I posted it earlier.

Linky - with benchmarks!

Back OT - I nearly burnt my PPU up too - and for almost the same reason as the OP! :eek:

Long story short - that little BFG sticker isn't stuck on very well :mad: you can extrapolate the rest... :p

Piccies to follow.

IMG_1282.jpg

MrNasty said:
Long story short - that little BFG sticker isn't stuck on very well :mad: you can extrapolate the rest... :p

Piccies to follow.

Thanks for the head up on the shitty sticker thing :)

Terra - I know what I am goona rip off when I get one now :D

Stupid question, how the HELL did your fan burn (literally) if it didnt spin? Does the core get that really hot? If so, how can it burn the fan blades which arent even touching anything? :confused: And it kinda sucks since the card isnt even mainstream yet, no real widespread games released, and you already burnt it :p

DangerIsGo said:
Stupid question, how the HELL did your fan burn (literally) if it didnt spin?

A fan that doesn't move just builds up heat - go to your kitchen and clamp your magi-mixer's blade then turn it on... BOOM :eek:

Sidenote: this is also why people say you shouldn't physically stop a fan (or any device that uses an electronic motor) for more than a few seconds at a time...

@Phoderpants: Yep, Kwality with a K :D

They should start painting duct tape and using that instead - ghetto stickers!

[RCKY] Thor said:
Does the Novodex Rocket demo pacakage support the PPU?
I doubt it. It was made before Ageia snarfed up the API. I would like to see them re-release it though with the updated engine. I would love to finally see "Big Bang" in realtime, hehe.

MrNasty said:

NEWSFLASH!
I've figured out what BFG really stands for.
BAD FUCKING GLUE.

*rimshot*

DangerIsGo said:
Stupid question, how the HELL did your fan burn (literally) if it didnt spin? Does the core get that really hot? If so, how can it burn the fan blades which arent even touching anything? :confused: And it kinda sucks since the card isnt even mainstream yet, no real widespread games released, and you already burnt it :p

I doubt the fan burning up had anything to do with the core being too hot or any other such nonsense. I’ve had case fans burn up just the same for the same reason, and they weren’t near anything hot. The FAN also has a bling bling LED in it, which may have contributed to the burn-up. I haven’t had the chance to replace the HSF on there yet; I just stuck another PhysX card in there for now.

osalcido said:
its alright to be jealous ADF

I wish I had one too
haha, he is not jealous... It really serves little to no purpose as of now, and it seems like it has some maturing to do. I thank these early users for finding the bugs/temps/OC, but I sure as hell would not pay to do that... I would need to be paid. Call that jealous and act like you know nothing; your problem, not ours.

GotNoRice said:
Cards were released to OEMs a while ago, so naturally you’ll see a few floating around, but it is not as if there is some secret retail link we’re all hiding from you. As for cost, MSRP is $299, but it will likely be cheaper than that. I didn’t buy mine.

There was a secret link to buy them...and you only got it from invitation: www.vanceresearch.com

Back