Air Cooling a 14900K

Probably not I'm reading the reviews on Amazon everyone says the chip is Hot and everyone is using AIOs.

I think you'll be fine with any sort of dual-rad air heatsink. Save money and get the Thermalright Peerless Assassin, it's a crazy deal and on Amazon they go for around $35 depending on the color variant. With a 14900K it will be sufficient to cool it, you just might have a little unrealized performance compared to a 360mm AIO which will let it boost slightly higher. But the Peerless Assassin beats out the NH-D15 at the same noise level.

Bonus points if you delid your 14900k. I did that on my 4790K back in the day and also had great results. A delidded 14900K with a dual-rad air heatsink will probably be equivalent to a 14900K cooled by a 360mm AIO.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukYhjjoJnfc

1698761062419.png

Noctua NH-U12A​

Right now that is the cooler I have now always have to look it up because I forget the number. I paid like 120.00 for it but if the 14900K is better silcone "Runs Cooler" than the 14700K I would take a chance on the 14900K. I have a 13700K right now but watching some benchmarks on Youtube there are some pretty big gains at 1440P in some games over my 13700K.

lol.jpg

Maybe this guy is smart he's talking about a 200.00+ Asus AOI maybe he's just scared and been using AOI all his PC life.

Noctua NH-U12A​

Right now that is the cooler I have now always have to look it up because I forget the number. I paid like 120.00 for it but if the 14900K is better silcone "Runs Cooler" than the 14700K I would take a chance on the 14900K. I have a 13700K right now but watching some benchmarks on Youtube there are some pretty big gains at 1440P in some games over my 13700K.
Well an air cooler can run PC Games on 14900K and the air cooler you have is fine.
From experience and I am not trying to change your mind in anyway,buy the new stuff for fun.
My 13700KF is faster in games than my 14600K and 2x14900KF but I am chocking it up to bad ASUS bios.

Also clock for clock 13700KF vs 14900KF
CPU-z Single Thread 996.4 vs 996.8
Cin23 Single Thread 2397 vs 2438
1698771177442.png

Well an air cooler can run PC Games on 14900K and the air cooler you have is fine.
From experience and I am not trying to change your mind in anyway,buy the new stuff for fun.
My 13700KF is faster in games than my 14600K and 2x14900KF but I am chocking it up to bad ASUS bios.

Also clock for clock 13700KF vs 14900KF
CPU-z Single Thread 996.4 vs 996.8
Cin23 Single Thread 2397 vs 2438
View attachment 610107

Well that is a bummer you running a Z790 board or a Z690?
I just updated to 1402 Asus Bios yesterday it's working good so far no glitching but I haven't fired up but 1 game.

Well that is a bummer you running a Z790 board or a Z690?
I just updated to 1402 Asus Bios yesterday it's working good so far no glitching but I haven't fired up but 1 game.
Well I have had
MSI z690 DDR4
ASUS z690DDR5
ASUS z790DDR5

Good question the runs I showed for 13700KF were actually done on the ASUS Z690 and the 14900KF was done on the ASUS z790.

I just ran some Cyberpunk benchmarks on 14600K at 6000Mhz on z790 board on BIOS 1501 and I still does not get the same FPS as the 13700KF in the same z790 board.

Just my experience .I took out 13700KF of the system and dropped in 14900KF and to my surprise the 13700KF had better FPS in games tested. Then I went on BIOS binge and tried everyone for 14900KF ,after two weeks I gave up and I will be using the 14600K for the PC Gaming rig and Sold 14900KFx2 and 13700KF.One of the 14900KF was a good sample made a few bucks.

Intels Tik Tock is going backwards
Will I spent $2400 Canadian on 14Gen CPU's and all I was expecting was a CPU clock boost with PC Game performance the same.It did not work out and I am not impressed at all.
It is what it is,I buy crap all the time and I am rarely not impressed and hey maybe next ASUS BIOS might help,I really got nothing left on the PC Gaming performance poor results for me.

View product
You asked:
"Could I Air Cool the 14900K ?"

Intel Customer Support answered:
"Greetings from Intel team, Thank you for your question. The Intel Core i9-14900K is a high-performance processor that can generate a significant amount of heat under heavy workloads. While it is technically possible to air cool the Intel Core i9-14900K, it is highly recommended to use a high-quality air cooler with a substantial heatsink and powerful fans to effectively manage the heat generated by this CPU. Here are some considerations for air cooling the Intel Core i9-14900K: Cooler Choice: Choose a reputable air cooler designed for high-end CPUs. Look for coolers that offer a high TDP (Thermal Design Power) rating and have a large heatsink and multiple heat pipes. Proper Airflow: Ensure your PC case has good airflow with adequate intake and exhaust fans. Proper airflow helps in dissipating the heat efficiently.

Thermal Paste: Apply a high-quality thermal paste between the CPU and the cooler to ensure good thermal conductivity. Overclocking: If you plan to overclock the CPU for additional performance, be aware that it will generate more heat. In this case, an even more capable air cooler may be required. Monitor Temperatures: Use monitoring software to keep an eye on CPU temperatures. Ensure that the temperature remains within safe limits under heavy load. Consider Liquid Cooling: If you want the best cooling performance and plan to overclock significantly, you might want to consider a high-end liquid cooling solution. Liquid coolers can provide better heat dissipation compared to air coolers. In summary, while it's possible to air cool the Intel Core i9-14900K, it's essential to invest in a high-quality air cooler and ensure your PC's overall cooling system is adequate for the task. If you are planning to push the CPU to its limits, you may want to explore liquid cooling options for optimal performance and temperature management. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...rocessor-14900k-36m-cache-up-to-6-00-ghz.html Thank you for using Intel.(Rafael_Intel)

Got this from Intel on Amazon

So Intel says it's ok I won't pick one up due to the Power Draw not the Thermals.

The Assassin IV is really good, I have one and it worked great on 13700K, 13900K and 7950X3D. It would likely work on 14900K as well, but it would be recommended to set PL1 to 253W intel spec instead of the 4096W that a lot of the board manufacturers put in to boost more.

It depends on your use case . For gaming it will barely do the job.

I have a 12700KF on a Deepcool AK620 Digital air cooler and it is perfect for the job. I even run it with just the single middle push/fan in between the towers because I don't want to block the RGB ram with the secondary front fan that can attach to it.

The thing is the 12700KF normally boosts to 5GHz for lightly threaded tasks and 4.7GHz all core or when more than 4 cores are under load.

That is a full Gigahertz higher on basically the same cooler I'm running.

If you don't care about the E cores you can disable them or disable some/most of them like I do. This will allow you to downclock the main CPU voltage which will directly decrease the CPU temp overall from light to heavy loads.

So if you tune your CPU (like me) you can get away with any of the good top performing air coolers that are offered right now. Hardware Canucks always have the most interesting CPU shootouts. The presenter Mike has a passion for air cooling. Check him out.

So Intel says it's ok I won't pick one up due to the Power Draw not the Thermals.
Just to show NH U12A I used on 12900K worked fine and it would be close to the same on 14900K if you set your CPU especially with TVB offsets.PC Gaming would be 100% fine

12900K Tamed On Cinebench With Noctua - NH U12A chromax Black Air Cooler HW64info CPU Temp 80°C

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMjkqc-_AZg

It depends on your use case . For gaming it will barely do the job.

I have a 12700KF on a Deepcool AK620 Digital air cooler and it is perfect for the job. I even run it with just the single middle push/fan in between the towers because I don't want to block the RGB ram with the secondary front fan that can attach to it.

The thing is the 12700KF normally boosts to 5GHz for lightly threaded tasks and 4.7GHz all core or when more than 4 cores are under load.

That is a full Gigahertz higher on basically the same cooler I'm running.

If you don't care about the E cores you can disable them or disable some/most of them like I do. This will allow you to downclock the main CPU voltage which will directly decrease the CPU temp overall from light to heavy loads.

So if you tune your CPU (like me) you can get away with any of the good top performing air coolers that are offered right now. Hardware Canucks always have the most interesting CPU shootouts. The presenter Mike has a passion for air cooling. Check him out.

The Assassin is probably 50% more surface area and an extra heat pipe (plus the 140mm fan and full shroud), but for the price the 620 is awesome and really hard to beat. I have both of them lol

Last edited:
The Assassin is probably 50% more surface area and an extra heat pipe, but for the price the 620 is awesome. I have both of them lol
Lmao

Wait you have the Assassin 4 AND the AK620Digital? What are they strapped too? What is the difference? I thought I saw hardware Canucks run tests that show them close to performance. Then again there are so Many tests and the model numbers for these coolers are out of control alphanumeric codes 😂

Lmao

Wait you have the Assassin 4 AND the AK620Digital? What are they strapped too? What is the difference? I thought I saw hardware Canucks run tests that show them close to performance. Then again there are so Many tests and the model numbers for these coolers are out of control alphanumeric codes 😂

I have a lot of stuff. Its a bad habit. My AK620 is not digital but its the same cooler without the screen on it. The AK620 and AK500 are identical, just two towers merged into one. The Assassin IV is wider, taller, and thicker. Theres a bad joke in there with that description and the color of these two.

IMG_1171.jpeg

(colors are a little oversaturated I had to turn the exposure way up on the phone its too dark in the room)

https://www.pcguide.com/cooling/guide/best-for-intel-i9-14900k/

I just googled this says it's possible to air cool a 14900K which runs cooler than the 14700K.
Using the DEEPCOOL Assassin IV

I'm going to look for benchmarks on that specific cooler see if it beats out my Noctua.
If I were frequently doing heavy multicore work, I would not use an air cooler for a 14900k or 14700k.

For gaming:

Of 13 games on their gaming power chart, Techpowerup has the 14900k using 150 watts or more, in 8 of those games. In Cyberpunk it uses 200 watts.

In my experience with Intel 11900k, 12700k, and 13600k:

If you have one of the largest, best air coolers: you might get away with it being nearly silent at 150 watts. 200 watts will make some noticeable noise. Although with the biggest/best air coolers, it may not be REALLY loud.

Anything smaller, and it will make noticeable noise at 150 watts. And would be very loud at 200 watts.

In comparison, a good 280mm AIO (with expensive fans) wouldn't make noticeable noise at 150 watts. And at 200 watts, it still shouldn't be much. EK's new Nucleus 240mm AIO would also be a good candidate, as it performs as good or better than most 280mm AIOs. EK also has a nucleus 360mm, which should rival an ok Custom loop.

How Do I change the Power level from PL 2 to PL 1in the Bios or do I use Windows Power plan settings?

How Do I change the Power level from PL 2 to PL 1in the Bios or do I use Windows Power plan settings?
It varies from brand to brand. You will probably just have to dig around in the bios. But, its usually pretty obvious when you find it.

It is not managed by the Windows Power Plan.

I believe Throttle Stop and Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility can also adjust it, in Windows. If your motherboard is supported.

I found it but it's greyed out the 253 watts it's under Ai tweaker on my Asus board. Says it's already in PL1 I think

My 2+ year old Arctic Liquid Freezer II AIO didn't want to play nice with the 14900k. The board kept reporting error code 55. So after re-seating and mounting it about 5 times I gave up and grabbed my local Best Buy's only available 360 AIO, the NZXT Kraken Elite 360. This is about the minimum level of cooling I'd want for this chip.

It is indeed "toasty"! But it is generating a decent bump in total rendered frames and minimum frames in the AC Valhalla benchmark compared to my 13900k on the Arctic LFII. Clipping voltage and doing a quick and dirty P-core sync at 5900mhz, I am seeing power fluctuate around 140w in-game (only tested AC Valhalla so far) and max temps staying below 80c. Can't push my DDR5 to 8200, still solid at XMP 8000.

Yeah not a big upgrade from the 13900k but there are frames to be gained. Just wouldn't even try it on some huge brick air cooler.

You can also disable E-cores for some power/heat savings.

And many games like Hyperthreading off, as well. Which saves quite a bit of power and heat.

I've used the DeepCool AK620 on several 13700K and 13900K builds with no problem. Incredible value for around $50 USD. Using the included fans and dialed in profile it's near silent and audible under load but in both cases will only result in some core throttling under very heavy loads. For gaming it's 100% fine. No worries about leaks, pumps rattling or plain out failing over time. AIO, IMHO are kind of scammy TBH, and are really overpriced. If you want the BEST cooling, invest in a GOOD block and build your own cooling circuit and be done with it. All these AIOs are using the same design (Asetek), just change the housing, rads, stupid RGB junk (IMHO), and will long term heavy loading get saturated and result in worse overall results than top air cooling. The reviewers just run a few trials of Cinebench and this does nothing to show real world results of say hours of heavy rendering. Once that liquid reaches 40+ degrees C it's game over. If you can keep your liquid at the same temp as ambient forever you have succeeded at building a capable water system! ;-)

I've used the DeepCool AK620 on several 13700K and 13900K builds with no problem. Incredible value for around $50 USD. Using the included fans and dialed in profile it's near silent and audible under load but in both cases will only result in some core throttling under very heavy loads. For gaming it's 100% fine. No worries about leaks, pumps rattling or plain out failing over time. AIO, IMHO are kind of scammy TBH, and are really overpriced. If you want the BEST cooling, invest in a GOOD block and build your own cooling circuit and be done with it. All these AIOs are using the same design (Asetek), just change the housing, rads, stupid RGB junk (IMHO), and will long term heavy loading get saturated and result in worse overall results than top air cooling. The reviewers just run a few trials of Cinebench and this does nothing to show real world results of say hours of heavy rendering. Once that liquid reaches 40+ degrees C it's game over. If you can keep your liquid at the same temp as ambient forever you have succeeded at building a capable water system! ;-)

There are some exceptions, like the EK line which is basically a DDC LT pump and far more powerful than anything asetek supplies.

Agreed the AK620 punches heavy for what it is. Ram clearance is good also if you don't mind removing the front fan (I did because I want to see my RGB ram glow) it keeps my stock 12700KF at 4.7GHz all core load for testing easily under control and that's with the 4 E cores maxed out along with the P cores so that's 12 cores running flat out on the AK620 with just the one single middle fan. I love the shape it's nice and neat square design and the icing on the cake is I got the digital version so the light touch of RGB and digital usage/temp display is a rather nice touch. I love this little thing more than any other air cooler I've ever owned or seen. It is also a few degrees off the top performing coolers. I'll happily trade the few degrees of difference for the sweet asthetic of the coolers design because 3-5 degrees isn't going to change performance at all.

There are some exceptions, like the EK line which is basically a DDC LT pump and far more powerful than anything asetek supplies.
Yea if I was going AIO (which I never would after being custom for ever) it would most definitely be the EK AIO.

I used to cool a 13900K with a NH-U12A with pretty decent temps. As long as you have a decent case with good airflow I would think a very good air cooler would cool a 14900K just fine.

I used to cool a 13900K with a NH-U12A with pretty decent temps. As long as you have a decent case with good airflow I would think a very good air cooler would cool a 14900K just fine.

I'd think so, too. People really seem to like their AIO's, and convinced themselves of their necessity. I'm on the other side of the fence - you couldn't pay me to use an AIO. I'm sure there are some good ones out there...but from my experience is that for the most part, they're overwhelmingly junk. The pumps on them are often louder than the actual fans at idle. If you not enthusiastic about PC-building that you want to do an open-loop, then you're always better off sticking with air. Cheaper, more convenient, better noise performance, etc.

People like their AIO's for the same logic that people like their RGB lights. They think they're cool or gives them some sort of bragging rights, or something. People concerned with actual performance wouldn't even bother with them. Perhaps people are too easily swayed by advertising and influencers, but what else is new?

People like their AIO's for the same logic that people like their RGB lights. They think they're cool or gives them some sort of bragging rights, or something. People concerned with actual performance wouldn't even bother with them. Perhaps people are too easily swayed by advertising and influencers, but what else is new?
I agree with most of your statement there. I consider myself somewhat old school so air cooling is always something I come back to eventually. I have used AIO's and as long as you get a decent one then you're set for a while, but a lot of reviews on some (not all), show a build up of "gunk" internally which usually deters me from getting another one. I haven't had any fail on me, but there is always that instance where they might while air cooling just works with almost no fail rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Corsair h100i for about 5 years and it worked perfectly although it didn't have much thermal capacity being a 240mm So I moved to custom loops and never looked back 🤓

Going the AIO route is more of a convenience thing for me. For sure a custom loop looks nicer and will achieve better temps. I used to be really into it when you could push crazy overclocks, SLI etc. These days lower OC potential, the hassle of reselling blocked cards, the maintenance, the fact I don't even see my rig because it's sitting behind a giant OLED screen... just not worth it anymore for me personally.

Last edited:
Do what I did and get the 420mm. keeps the 14900KF under control.

I'd think so, too. People really seem to like their AIO's, and convinced themselves of their necessity. I'm on the other side of the fence - you couldn't pay me to use an AIO. I'm sure there are some good ones out there...but from my experience is that for the most part, they're overwhelmingly junk. The pumps on them are often louder than the actual fans at idle. If you not enthusiastic about PC-building that you want to do an open-loop, then you're always better off sticking with air. Cheaper, more convenient, better noise performance, etc.

Well.. Noise.. not dumping heat into your case... having it actually fit easily and ease of installation too, those are a few reasons that AIOs are popular as well. Performance actually does improved over the better Air solutions (I actually run a FC140 on my 7900x, so I'm on air right now)

This was taken from : https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x-cooling-requirements-thermal-throttling/
You can see the 420MM aio does actually provide a performance benefit over the Noctua option on a high TDP chip.

1699022628206.png

I big one is ram clearance, I replaced a very terrible small AIO to a much nicer two fan towers which is better in any way, outside the ram kit did not fit anymore.

And I imagine when you reach like for above the 420mm type of AIO you can beat the best regular air cooling one, it is a way to shift both heat and complexity from the socket to a bit away, which make it possible for the radiator to have more surface usually and for the component to be closer to the cpu more easily. The advantages that offer of a pre-sealed closed system over a custom one being quite obvious, enough to make it worth it over its cons to most.

Back