Ageia's Response to Havok's Claims

MrNasty

Limp Gawd
Ageia's Response

This is starting to get dirty... They quoted me while leaving out the one liner I made about stooping to Forum comments. :/

Interesting that XB360 is now confirmed as using PhysX only in singleplayer.

I'm going to download the cellfactor demo and 2.4.3 now :D

EDIT: OMG CELLFACTOR!!!

Thought's anyone?

The main thing that strikes me in their reply is that they keep blurring the difference between the PhysX chip and the PhysX physics API-- the Novadex engine that they bought and modified some. This is, to me, the most dishonest part of their marketing.

It also looks like Ubisoft might have been playing both against the other-- looks like Havok thought they were the only ones in the 360, and Ageia thinks they're the core of it.

Finally, this is just all very press-releasy and says stuff in a kind of patronizing format. It's not straight talk, just marketing gobbledygook. The way they danced around the framerate loss that was pointed out was especially annoying.

My thought:

Somebody at Ageia should be fired for letting GRAW for PC ship with the very limited PPU support it has at the moment.

This isn't like video, where we went from software rendering to hardware rendering. The difference in games like Quake2 and Tomb Raider was amazing. The only thing amazing about PPU support in GRAW is the framerate hit.

Now, regardless of why that is happening, the fact is that it is happening, which is really bad marketing for Ageia and the PPU addin board concept.

Cellfactor looks cool at first, but it doesn't look like the fun will last, and closer inspection of their blood implementation shows some really weird stuff going on, lol. Neat techdemo, but not a real game.

The real news:

CellFactor available for download! :D

....as soon as Ageia gets done redesigning their site. :eek:

I have been saying GRAW is a horrible example of the PPU. It was most definitly tacked on at the end. Wait for E3 and Unreal engine 3 for some true examples of awesoem Physx action.

Still reading the article. They quoted me, so i thought i'd actually be able get some info, but their answer had NOTHING TO DO WITH MY QUESTION!!! :mad:

Cell Factor is awesome.

EDIT: getting 20 fps on my 7800GTX at 1600x900. Not as good as I thought - but it seems to run smoother than graw...

Draw distance is incredible - this engine is the tits.

OMG squashing bots with crates is fun!!!!
:D

I'm running the High graphics version with HDR and 4x aniso - everything looks cool, blood leaves a little to be desired when just lying there but looks amazing in motion.

Pixel shaders are top notch, vehicles are cool - it plays halfway between UT2k4 and Q4, sorta best describes it.

Only one gun though - standard rifle/sniper/grenade launcher combo that jumps around way too much when firing. :(

Grenades and proximity mines are in though :D

And a lot of the debris can be broken into smaller pieces and flung with gay abandon!

Terra made some great fear videos a while back, she cut the resolution down to 640x480 and uploaded them on some host that I'm trying to find. (it was ~40mb)

www.savefile.com will do 60mb uploads.

fraps suggest some video editing progs in its help file, I would think any video editor worth its beans would allow you to adjust resolution.
(or you could just break them into smaller files)

Edit: I gotta start getting ready to take off right now though, wont be back till 5ish. (ugh)

Or you can just go into Windows movie maker and make them smaller.

I re-encoded those FRAPS videos in WMV 640x480 @ 25 FPS 2.1 Mbps in Windows Moviemaker.
Gives a good result/resolution I think :)

Terra...

Back