Adding to a Partition

Biddle

Weaksauce
I have two partitions on my 120GB WD Special Edition drive. One 30GB partition for Windows and Programs, and the rest is an 80GB partition for data. (Music, videos, documents, etc)

I realized tonight that I only have 12GB left on my program partition, which scares me a little because there are so many upcoming games that I am going to be playing, and I don't want to be tight on space. I have plenty to spare on my Data partition (around 50GB). Is there any way to SAFELY add space from one partition to another? I think I've heard that Partition Magic can do this, but I don't want to even try it if there's a chance something could get corrupted.

Thank you. :)

1st, you should already have backup in the event of corruption\failure

2nd partition magic is generally considered safe, thats not the same as saying things cant go wrong

3rd you could employ dynamic disks, but there are serious drawbacks see the Advanced HDDs Issues Sticky Thread for links (read them all) Once a Disk is converted from basic to Dynamic, the only way to revert it back is a reformat.

4th you should be able to mount the games on a seperate partition
http://zapwizard.com/Partitioning/How-To.html (Advanced)
take careful written notes of what you elect to do, as this complicates ant repair and recovery

Back