Action Quake Online (Not Flash)

Dark Shade

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone remember the good old times of Quake II and all of its mods (Lithium, Gloom, etc.)? I was partial to one mod... Action Quake 2

However, the mod is all but dead, the population in the United States who still play can be counted on one hand. This is my contribution to the game that really got me into the FPS scene.

With the source code of Jake2 (the Java port of the Quake II code released under GPL), I've been able to create a Java client that is dedicated to connecting anyone who wants to play Action Quake at any time on nearly any computer. The requirements are very tame (anything over 1GHz and a half gig of RAM is more than enough) and the client is under constant development by myself and my ragtag team of old Action Quake fans.

You just need:
Latest version of Java
A computer made in the past decade

The easiest way to play is to head on over to http://www.actionquakeonline.com/aqo, read the How to Play if you wish, or jump right in with the Play It Now button. You will be given an option of which mode to play (these modes and much more are explained in How to Play). These browser menus are linked to small Java Network Launch Protocol (jnlp) files which directly connect you to the servers hosting the games. If the server you pick is full, it will automatically redirect you to the next one of the same gametype that is not full. (One issue that I've yet to fix is that the game always crashes the first time you launch it; no worries, just click the same button you pressed previously and the game will work properly)

Currently, there are over 30 servers available to play on, and with a click of the mouse, a small download (I recommend the Full download to keep misc. downloading files from the server to a minimum), you can join in. The main web page, http://www.actionquakeonline.com/ keeps a running tab on which servers are empty, full and in between, so you can choose the server you want to play on by clicking on the server banner. It is completely browser and Java-based and run, no need to download 3rd party apps.

It is currently in beta stage, so there are some missing items (most notably, a few HUD icons, main title screen icons, tutorial map for new players) but you can setup your player, controls, video preferences and join in on any server I have up. These items and other small issues are on the Fixit list and we do plan on getting to them as soon as possible.

Here are some things I already realize, so you don't have to beat a dead horse :D ----
1. I realize the game is ugly and the graphics are dated. This is Quake II, not Bad Company 2. It's built for speed and gameplay, not graphics
2. I realize there's plenty of bugs and missing icons/textures; these problems will be solved in updates that will occur automatically whenever you use the program
3. All of the tools and technologies I've used to make this setup are under a version of GPL (Quake II source code, Jake2 source code, Action Quake source code), so this setup is just as legal as any mod done for any engine

Please, leave feedback and constructive criticism in this thread if you wish. This is not a finished product, so I need your help to make it better! Thanks :cool:

Oh and I'll be in the All Weapon Deathmatch server tonight for those who want to have an in-game tutorial with me

Great work - I'm always in awe when peeps like you build games from the source code.
Personally I'm a great fan of Openarena.

Anyway I played a little and would like to have a scrim sometime DM (maybe Sunday night PST/6pm?).

Yeah I noticed some bugs, like I got stuck on a ledge trying to jump it.
The initial .bsp files were a little slow to download, but that's no biggy

You'd probably get a lot more attention if you stuck this in PC Gaming. Not many Q2 veterans hanging out on the Flash Games board, I'd wager...

Good God, not again...

I played so damn much of this back 12 years ago... Must resist...

You'd probably get a lot more attention if you stuck this in PC Gaming. Not many Q2 veterans hanging out on the Flash Games board, I'd wager...

Yeah you're right, not sure if this would fit in there though, but then again it doesn't quite fit in here either (Flash Games)

If a mod thinks it's worthy I wouldn't mind it over in the PC Gaming subforum :D

Also, I have been tinkering with the thought of forgoing Java altogether and going with a browser plugin model like Quake Live, complete with full-featured website and more than just Action Quake -- the best times of PC gaming were lived during the era of Quake/Quake II/Half-Life, I just hope I can bring some of the magic back

Be sure to check out our one-day 3v3 double-elimination bracket AQ2 tournament on Saturday, prizes of $25 ThinkGeek Gift Certificates are given out to the winning team. For details, check out this link or contact me. Spread the word! http://tastyspleen.net/quake/forums/index.php?topic=13641.0

You can use your existing AQ2 install, or use the one I have provided for ya on http://www.actionquakeonline.com/ to join in and play! For more details, hit the link!

Back