9800XT (or will it fit and not take up too much power in a SFF)

mikeohara

Limp Gawd
I've currently got a Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb card in my system listed below in my sig and am gonna upgrade several components in the system over the next 30 days, anyways, the subject is just that ... I'm curious as to if anyone has gotten a 9800XT working in a SFF (Shuttle, Biostar, etc) without too many problems. If so, I'm curious as to how.

-- Michael

I think one of the guys here from the prairies in Canada has a 9800XT in a shuttle.

I dunno..........maybe he'll respond. :confused:

The power supplies in the new sff's are fine for 9800xt, however one of the problems that can arise is heat and noise. The fan making too much noise because its pressed up against the side. Maybe mod a hole or opening in the side to solve that.

You could always post in the forums at http://www.sfftech.com
I know they use geforce 5950's in some of thier reviews and I'm sure they can't use any more power then an 9800 xt.

Good luck, I'm planning on building a sff later this year as well.

IDEQ.JPG

Fits fine for me, and works great as well. This is a Biostar IDEQ 200V. The good thing about the Biostar mobos are that the AGP is on the inside.. not like the Shuttles which are on the out most side, right up against the door.

It gets good breathing room, with vents in the door, which is about 1.5 inches away from it.

Originally posted by fallguy

Fits fine for me, and works great as well. This is a Biostar IDEQ 200V. The good thing about the Biostar mobos are that the AGP is on the inside.. not like the Shuttles which are on the out most side, right up against the door.

It gets good breathing room, with vents in the door, which is about 1.5 inches away from it. [/B]

I see good and bad things both in this regard.

Good Thing:
Better Video Card which equals more video performance

Bad Thing:
I do not use onboard sound at all (that's what the Audigy 2 is for)

I'll post over at Sfftech also to see what kind of answers I get.

Thanks.

I had an AIW 9700 Pro that used too much power in my SFF case (CF e-Cube w/230W PSU). It would just shut down the PSU after 1 second when I turned it on. Even when disconnecting the hard drive and removing the PVR card, it would do the same thing. I don't have a 9800XT to test, so it may or may not work.

I can't imagine that the AIW 9700 Pro used *that* much more power than a FX 5700 Ultra, but it does at least at power on.

I saw a fix for the issue your talking about... the fix is over at ambmb forum... in the shuttle section...
shuttle also had this problem, but the newer revisions of the PSU they use fixed it.

Back