9800 pro vs 9800se

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
What is the difference between these 2 cards? Ive noticed the price of the SE is a lot cheaper.

you basically saying the SE is crap and not to get it?

IS there a benchmark between the 9800pro, 9800se and 9800xt ?

pipes? What does this mean then? the SE is half the price of the PRO, is there really that much differance in performance?

Yes the pipes i think transfer data from the GPU to the Mobo and if thats slower then slower frames etc.

ok after much research I think the best card I should get for the money is the ATI Radeon 9800pro 128meg, is this a good card, im no expert but i think its the best for the money.

Originally posted by deadman_uk
ok after much research I think the best card I should get for the money is the ATI Radeon 9800pro 128meg, is this a good card, im no expert but i think its the best for the money.

Yeah, man, it's solid.

it's only fourth best on the market, next to the 9800 xt, or 9800 pro 256 meg and 9800 xt 256 meg. It used to be the best, but I think of it as the bottom rung of the best cards on the market, being the 4 I mentioned. I'd say get it, I'd love to have one. The other cards are only better because of better clocks/more ram.

~Adam

Originally posted by CleanSlate
it's only fourth best on the market, next to the 9800 xt, or 9800 pro 256 meg and 9800 xt 256 meg. It used to be the best, but I think of it as the bottom rung of the best cards on the market, being the 4 I mentioned. I'd say get it, I'd love to have one. The other cards are only better because of better clocks/more ram.

~Adam

Even if it is only the fourth best, it still is an amazing card. Hell, I still think my 9700Pro is a top of the line card. Runs everything I throw at it fine.

I agree, I was actually saying that with a bit ot smugness, as it is probably the best card out right now because the only other cards that can beat it are other 9800's LOL.

~Adam

Even if it is 4th best, the performacne differece is only 10%-15% from the top cards.

Originally posted by deadman_uk

good move

Not worth the time of day. It runs alittle faster then a 9600XT. 9700Pro still beats it, a 5900SE beats it, Hell I think a 9500Pro beats it in some benchmarks. POS from where I see it, that is unless you track down on of those that can be flashed to a 9800np and then OC. Do some research, and then get a 9800np/ pro.

Originally posted by CleanSlate

~Adam

i didnt know they made an XT in non-256 mb if thats what your implying

whoops did I make a booboo?

As you can tell I didn't research into the better models as much as I should, because I simply don't ahve the cash to get one, thus I try (being the word) and not to give a fuck.

~Adam

Originally posted by The Other
SE means Sorry Edition
no, it means Shitty Edition :D

btw CleanSlate, why does ur CPU run at such a slow speed?

Originally posted by ST|FFY
no, it means Shitty Edition :D

btw CleanSlate, why does ur CPU run at such a slow speed?

I wouldnt say 14.5k or 18.5k (modded)in 3d mark 01 is too sh.tty?

link? and that just means that the rest of your system is good... 3dmark 2001 is a full system test, so if you score that high with that card then you should upgrade card and then see what you get ;)

Originally posted by Jared701
link? and that just means that the rest of your system is good... 3dmark 2001 is a full system test, so if you score that high with that card then you should upgrade card and then see what you get ;)

abit AI7, p4 3.0 800fsb 2 x 256mb of Hyper X pc3500, and what was a moddable 9800se, what could I upgrade my card to and justify the expense? my 9800se went to 412/365 on standard cooling

But the thing is, most normal SEs only have a 50/50 chance for being able to mod (I think the AIW SEs have a much greater chance). Plus, If you were to get a moddable SE now, it would cost you $220-$240. I'd add another $30 and get a Radeon 9800 Pro.

yep its a gamble okay, but for me it was worth it as i get all the features of the AIW aswell, which now ive had once i think id want on my next card but i know where your coming from:cool:

You can get a 9800SE from newegg for just $150, thats not a bad deal at all. No its not as fast, but it doesnt cost near as much either. Considering the price, its not a bad card.

The sapphire 9800SE is about $150 at new egg right now.

I got to play around with one of these, and you can use the "softmod" in the Omega Drivers to open up the additional 4 pipelines. so you get get all 8 pipes working. But it still has the 128bit memory bus.

on my system, with ATI cat 3.10 drivers and a STOCK sapphire 9800SE, 3DMark2001SE was 11,648.

Not very good for a newer card. my GF4ti4400 scored 12,299 for comparison.

Then I installed the Omega Drivers and picked the option to softmod the 9800SE -> 9800. 3Dmark01se jumped to 13,428. Quite an improvement.

Then I OC'd the card. stock is 325/500 (250x2). I upped it to 399 core and 260/520 memory. The memory sucks and you can't OC it very high. 3Dmark01 jumped to 14,456.

I noticed some weird visual things during some games though, so I clocked the core down to ~380 and it seemed fine after that.

So with the soft mod and OC'ing, the card gained about 2800 pts in 3dmark01se.

a 14k score isn't bad at all for a $150 card. might even be faster than a 9600pro/xt.

A buddy of mine has an almost identacle system as me, but has a 9800pro. says his 3dmark03se is 17,xxx. wow!

My 9800pro card is on the way, so I'll se if there really is that much a difference!

Originally posted by mikey63

A buddy of mine has an almost identacle system as me, but has a 9800pro. says his 3dmark03se is 17,xxx. wow!

[/B]

Guess you mean 3dmark01se :eek:

Back