9700 pro, is this about right?

zerogt86

Gawd
hey i just finished setting up all the drivers on my new XP install. Everything has been updated, does this performace sound right (system in sig, proc is stock and ram is in Dual Channel)?

Quake 3 - 12x10 everything maxed (demo 4, patch 1.32)
No AA/AF 175fps
4xAA/8xAF 144fps
6xAA/16xAF 113fps

this is cat 4.1 btw.

at the moment this is the only benchi can do... but something has been bugging me, CoD isnt running very well... at 10x7 with most stuff at high detail and no AA/AF, i cant even maintain a constant 60 fps... wtf?

ill get sum 3dmarks and mayb sandra up later, and i also still have to install halo and if it would help any of yo determine if im on the ball, i could do ut2k3... oh and i also have Tomb Raider AOD if that would be a good benchmark. any help is apreaciated, thanks alot!

o, sorry i forgot to mention this!

by no means am i disapointed with this card, video playback has been smooth, the card has been stable. I also checked the clocks on the card and they match up (325, 620). Im only very surprised at CoD because i tested my friends 4600, and i thought the perfromance was much better.

benches are a little low for a 9700pro quake 3 with no AA should be getting around 200-280fps.

I dont really have too mucn input on your benchmarks, but I'm building an INDENTICAL system as we speak. I'm anxious to see any other benchmark information you have, as well as any comments you have on your system, along with any snags or special things you had to do to get anything to work. That way when it comes time for me to finish up my system, you may have already given my the answer :)

Oh, and from what i've read, their are quite a few bugs with any radeon and CoD.. not sure what the deal is, but i'm sure if you google it, or ask on here someone can help you out. :D

ahh wtf, 3dmark 2001 : 12992 ??!?!?!?! wtf, shouldnt it be higher than that! althoug i did have aim and winamp running, i wonder if it would be higher if i turned all that off...

that url didnt work... o, i tried it again with no progs running in the background, and i got 13535. better, but stilll it should be higher, should i set the tab in the cats to performance, they are balanced now.

are there any bios setting is should change that will effect the video performance?

well, just got through some gaming with NFSU and Halo. Both were playable, although neither were getting high fps (30's most of the time), does that sound right? both were max'd gfx at 10x7 and NFSU had 2x AA and 8x AF... seems alittle off to me, but atleast it was playable.

I am thinking that maybe your 2500+ is a bottleneck. Or maybe you installed the updates in the wrong order. There is an order that you install the drivers and updates and servicepacks that works the best. I know because My last XP install was running great and super fast but the install I am using now isn't as quick. Its because I installed the stuff in the wrong order.

BTY: I reinstall XP every 3-6months

did u OC ur 2500?
try to get it to 2.2Ghz at least
u should see much better results at 2.2Ghz

Something definitely doesnt sound right there. I don't have my computer yet, but i've read COUNTLESS benchmarks, and most games are way above what you are getting. I'm not sure if you have something mis-configured in your display settings or just a bad install of something. I'd say to check AA/AF, but you say it's off.

The only thing I can really tell you to do, is make sure all your chipset drivers are up to date, bios settings are set correctly and if all else fails, you can always try a reinstall.

once i install my sp-97 this weekend, i will run it at 2.2 , ad then im sure ill see vast improvement, but what bios settings can i change any way? What else can i configure?

Originally posted by zerogt86
once i install my sp-97 this weekend, i will run it at 2.2 , ad then im sure ill see vast improvement, but what bios settings can i change any way? What else can i configure?

I'm really not sure, but if I find anything to help you out, i'll let you know. Since your using the exact combonation as I will be shortly. When I get mine setup, i'll let you know if I run across the same problem, and if I do i'll let you know my settings and see if we can't fix your problem.

mobo chipset drivers installed? if not go get ya some =b maybe try and turn off fastwrites in the BIOS ive tried it both ways on my OCd 9500Pro and maybe 30pt difference in 3Dmark2k1...and the process i usually setup stuff when reinstalling W2K is OS->Service Packs and DX9->Mobo drivers and Video drivers->everything else...

i have the latest drivers from nVidia, although i did not install there nvidia ide drivers, would that increase my performance?

well here are my bios settings for my vid card:

AGP apeture is 128
AGP Spread Spectrum is 0.50%
AGP Data transfer rate is 8x
Fastwrites are off.

For your benches, turn everything to crap quality if you want your maximum score to swing around in front of the ladies.

On CoD, your seeing about the right fps. The game, like most Q3 games, is more reliant on cpu and fsb speed to produce the raw FPS #'s your looking for. Even with a new graphics card, your still gonna see those pesky FPS low's that you say be4. All the new graphics card does is let you increase detail and add eye candy. It may get you some more frames on GPU intensive maps (like Jungle) and games (like Halo) but CPU intensive games are still gonna choke ya.

Actually thank LORD for this thread.. I was about to ask the same questions..

I have the system in sig.. I started running dual channel now and increased my system speed from 1.8A to 2.4B and beyond yet I havent seen much improvement in games like call of duty and nfsu.. I used to get 25-33 fps in NFSU and now I occassionally hit 40 fps or 45 fps but am usually at 32 or 33 fps.. does this have anything to do w/ vsync.. as always I always run w/ 4xAA and 8xAF.. i think that our systems are comparable.. even at 2.5 GHz I still couldnt get too much of an fps increase.. the 9700 pro was running at stock though w/ cat 3.4 drivers..

why dont my games go over 43 most of the time.. yes my refresh is 85 hz.. but most of the time games are stuck at 43 wtf?

45fps on nfsu???!?! thats kinda low...so your stuck on 43fps even though you have your refresh rate set to 85hz? hmmm try turning vsync off...then turn it back on check if you still get 43fps...does your monitor support 85hz? try putting it to 75hz then vsync on and check again...if you get 75fps then that means your monitor doesn't support 85hz soo it goes extremely low on the refresh rate.....

remember this is w/ 4xAA and 8xAF w/ cat 3.4s

also yes the monitor does support 85 hz but then again I think I should try 75 hz.. (although I have been running it at 85 for over a year now :p)

yes vsync is on app preference..

and in MOHAA Omaha beach level w/ 4xAA and 8xAF I used to get 30 fps but that was when I was at 1.8A and not running dual channel!

Back