9700>9800 flash...possible?

I've got a two year old 9700 pro that will run 375/670 stock cooled. I'm going to get a VGA silencer and some copper ramsinks for it this weekend and hopefully I can reach the 9800 pro stock speeds. Could I flash this card to a 9800 pro and see any gains if it will run at 380/680 fine, or would perform just as well as an overclocked 9700?

not that this is an answer to your question. . .because it's not, it's just another question :p . .. what would be the best tool to overclock this card, other than doing a straight bios flash, inorder to figure out it's speeds. so far i know of powerstrip, ati tool, and rage3d tweak, and I was just wondering which one you guys perfer?

thanks

lol, we are the only people reading this forum for sure!

okay, so between the following, which is the better to use:
powerstrip
rage3d tweak
ati tool
radlinker/radtweaker

speak up people! and what about flashing to the 9800 bios?

answers answers, we need answers!

I've used both radlinker and ati-tool, both with the omegas installed, and I took my card from 325/250 to 450/300 with no problems. It was very easy to use and I think with both of them you can set the card to boot to those clockrates or just adjust them as you go. Powerstrip worked fine as well, but the think I like about Radlinker is that it is a tab under Display Properties/Advanced. From what i've gathered you would be better off just tweaking your clockrates and not softmodding, for the 9700 anyways.

One of the versions of Cats made the softmod impossible (3.4's perhaps?)...so if you like new drivers you'd be best off just overclocking. :)

workingnonstop said:
One of the versions of Cats made the softmod impossible (3.4's perhaps?)...so if you like new drivers you'd be best off just overclocking. :)

So even a BIOS flash wouldn't make it a 9800?

You cannot flash a 9700 to a 9800. You can't flash between entire series' of cards, only different versions in the same series (ie: maybe a 9700 to a 9700 pro).

TheGamerZ said:
You cannot flash a 9700 to a 9800. You can't flash between entire series' of cards, only different versions in the same series (ie: maybe a 9700 to a 9700 pro).

What he said, the 9800 is using a compeltly diffrent pcb along with a diffrent core, not going to happen. (9800 = R350 core 9700 = R300)

The only exception is the occasional 9500 to 9700 mod, but those are essentially identical cards anyway.

Thanks for telling me before I killed my card :p . I did get a VGA silencer on it and reaches 382 core, verified by ATI Tool. Is that about average for a 9700 pro? Currently testing the memory...

Back