7800X3D negative temperature in bios

izzypizzy

Gawd
I wasn't sure if I should post this in the motherboard forum or the processor forum because I'm not sure where the problem is originating.

I just built a brand new PC and am having a weird issue where the bios are showing the CPU temperature at -55C (that's negative 55 degrees). Because of this, the CPU fan is moseying along at 500rpm, and because the sensor isn't reading the temp correctly, the fan doesn't ever ramp up when needed, which is leading to overheating.

Build:
7800X3D
Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite
64GB Corsair Dominator 5200 DDR5
AMD 7900XTX
EK Nucleus AIO CR360
Samsung 990 PRO 2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX1000

Things I have tried:

Swapped Displayport cable for HDMI
Took out PCI riser cable and mounted GPU directly to the motherboard
Unplugged any unnecessary peripherals / front panel USBs
Re-seated ram
Re-seated CPU heatsink
Swapped pump connecter and cpu fans back and forth between the CPU_OPT and CPU_FAN headers
Flashed motherboard bios
Cleared CMOS

The issue persists no matter what. Faulty CPU? Faulty MB? Something else?

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

thumbnail_IMG_6713.jpg

I opened up hwinfo64 and it shows the temperatures reporting from the CPU itself, but under the motherboard processor chipset sensor, it's just blank. This would seem to imply that it's an issue with the motherboard sensor, is that right?

power it off
pull the cord, chip and the cmos battery
hit the power button a couple times, wait a couple minutes, reseat the power cord and power it up, wait a couple minutes
power it off, put it together(battery and chip; check the pins and cpu contacts are clean) and try again.

power it off
pull the cord, chip and the cmos battery
hit the power button a couple times, wait a couple minutes, reseat the power cord and power it up, wait a couple minutes
power it off, put it together(battery and chip; check the pins and cpu contacts are clean) and try again.
Thanks for the advice. I will give that a go.

Nope.

I'll be looking into changing motherboards tomorrow. It looks like this issue is most common amongst gigabyte MB, so I'll be shopping elsewhere.

I've owned lots of Gigabyte motherboards and never had this issue. They were always really good boards. I only bought an ASUS because some guy was selling it on eBay as broken because he couldn't get it to boot and it was a $500 board for $100 that the only issue was that ASUS boards wouldn't boot the first time with display port. :D common issue with the Asus Hero series on Ryzen 5000 series.

I've owned lots of Gigabyte motherboards and never had this issue. They were always really good boards. I only bought an ASUS because some guy was selling it on eBay as broken because he couldn't get it to boot and it was a $500 board for $100 that the only issue was that ASUS boards wouldn't boot the first time with display port. :D common issue with the Asus Hero series on Ryzen 5000 series.
I read as many positive stories as I've read negative ones about Gigabyte, which is why I decided to take the chance with one. But this particular issue that I'm having seems to be damn near exclusive to Gigabyte boards. While it would be easier to just purchase the same exact one and hope for the best (in terms of swapping it in), I have decided to go with an MSI board- spend a little bit more time setting it up, but the issue with the temp sensor is a lot less likely to rear its head again.

Glad you've only had good experiences with them! That's a hell of a score with the Asus board!

Gigabyte boards are...were, good. But I have never had good experiences with the sensors on their boards. They're usually not exposed to the OS or, when they are, it's buggy and/or inaccurate.

First time using an Asus board I was flabbergasted by how many sensors there were, and they all were seen in the OS.

Of course, that's just my experience on AMD platforms. On Intel it may be different, and as well, it will also depend on the price bracket and target market (pro/enterprise/gamer/etc) of the board you get.

Nope.

I'll be looking into changing motherboards tomorrow. It looks like this issue is most common amongst gigabyte MB, so I'll be shopping elsewhere.
AM5 is hell right now.

Watch out for the ASRock X670E Steel Legend. Disaster for me. It has a design issue that results in a high amount of units sold with RAM/CPU area electrical faults. I think I got an affected unit.

All the Gigabyte boards, including your own, have a high number of units sold with loud high pitched coil whine.

For any brand, all the boards sold with Intel/Killer 2.5GB NICs you must assume you will need to get your own add-on NIC for network stability - the NICs are broken at the hardware level - cannot be fixed with BIOS/driver updates. Affects all units sold - just some people don't notice it, or they use it in ways that do not trigger the problem. Marvell 10GB NICs have issues of their own - not known yet if they can be fixed with drivers.

On average, ASUS and MSI still have long boot times compared to ASRock/Gigabyte. Yes, even the boots after the first one. The more memory you install, even with just two sticks, the worse it is.

On average, all the brands are having difficulty with "value" (Samsung and Micron) RAM running at XMP/EXPO settings. But on average, ASUS and MSI still have more difficulty running RAM with XMP/EXPO enabled compared to ASRock/Gigabyte.

ASRock and Gigabyte are still using AMD's AGESA 1.0.0.5c (instead of latest 1.0.0.6), which only officially supports the 7900X3D / 7950X3D, and not the 7800X3D. This appears to be causing unexpected issues with some 7800X3D users, though not everyone.

EDIT:
Gigabyte actually did upgrade to 1.0.0.6 - it is only ASRock that has not yet. However, Gigabyte still does not show the 7800X3D as a supported CPU. ASRock has updated their CPU compatibility pages to now include it.

Last edited:
AM5 is hell right now.

Watch out for the ASRock X670E Steel Legend. Disaster for me. It has a design issue that results in a high amount of units sold with RAM/CPU area electrical faults. I think I got an affected unit.

All the Gigabyte boards, including your own, have a high number of units sold with loud high pitched coil whine.

For any brand, all the boards sold with Intel/Killer 2.5GB NICs you must assume you will need to get your own add-on NIC for network stability - the NICs are broken at the hardware level - cannot be fixed with BIOS/driver updates. Affects all units sold - just some people don't notice it, or they use it in ways that do not trigger the problem. Marvell 10GB NICs have issues of their own - not known yet if they can be fixed with drivers.

On average, ASUS and MSI still have long boot times compared to ASRock/Gigabyte. Yes, even the boots after the first one. The more memory you install, even with just two sticks, the worse it is.

On average, all the brands are having difficulty with "value" (Samsung and Micron) RAM running at XMP/EXPO settings. But on average, ASUS and MSI still have more difficulty running RAM with XMP/EXPO enabled compared to ASRock/Gigabyte.

ASRock and Gigabyte are still using AMD's AGESA 1.0.0.5c (instead of latest 1.0.0.6), which only officially supports the 7900X3D / 7950X3D, and not the 7800X3D. This appears to be causing unexpected issues with some 7800X3D users, though not everyone.
Thanks for sharing all that. It really sounds like there is no winning.

New motherboard fixed the issue!

I went with an MSI B650 Tomahawk and it’s running great.
Nice. Just curious how are the boot times with 64GB of RAM on that MB compared with Gigabyte?

If I cannot get this Steel Legend operational without any issues, I am considering the MSI PRO X670-P or MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk.

EDIT:
And it seems in the recent B650 Hardware Unboxed benchmarks, MSI ties with Gigabyte at the top on performance, despite still having slower boot times. Hopefully that applies to their X670(e) boards too.

Also looks like Gigabyte actually did upgrade to 1.0.0.6 - it is only ASRock that has not yet. However, Gigabyte still does not show the 7800X3D as a supported CPU. ASrock has updated their CPU compatibility pages to now include it.

Last edited:
Nice. Just curious how are the boot times with 64GB of RAM on that MB compared with Gigabyte?

If I cannot get this Steel Legend operational without any issues, I am considering the MSI PRO X670-P or MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk.

EDIT:
And it seems in the recent B650 Hardware Unboxed benchmarks, MSI ties with Gigabyte at the top on performance, despite still having slower boot times. Hopefully that applies to their X670(e) boards too.

Also looks like Gigabyte actually did upgrade to 1.0.0.6 - it is only ASRock that has not yet. However, Gigabyte still does not show the 7800X3D as a supported CPU. ASrock has updated their CPU compatibility pages to now include it.

I haven't timed it, but I feel like it's on par with the startup time of the Gigabyte.

I have a solution for you (the reader) . I know this is a few months old post, but let me just tell you, I've found countless posts on many forums on a 3 day long journey thru hell, asking for help cause their CPU temp in bios was in the negatives (mine was -99C), thus their fan curve wouldn't work and the fans, both CPU cooler and chassis fans, spun at a set value like 500RPM or 700 or max (noisy) some people wrote minus 99C, others - 55C and no solution. This resulted in people who want a quiet PC to have a noisy PC when at night watching a movie or a YouTube video, or very bad high temps on CPU and other components due to low RPM when needed.

So I tried several things - reinstalled windows 10 thrice, disassembled entire PC, reseated RAM, CPU, tighten and losen air cooler, booten ins afe Mode, tried all drivers and whatnot.... Anything but buying a new mobo. I then tried last resort - fan curve apps, and out of those which weren't obsolete on newer Windows 10/11, weren't for Mac, or paid Apps, I've found the savior - ARGUS MONITOR - free, for PC, Windows 10 64bit working, light weight, custom fan curve based on CPU or GPU TEMPS (or other) = just like a working BIOS I had a week ago

Idk if my board has faulty cpu temp sensor or what, but this Argus app really is a miracle. After 3 days of pure hell trading thru countless posts like this since my bios stopped showing correct cpu temps, I'm finally at peace.

In the app, click Mainboard, on left you see all fans (cpu, cpu opt, sys fan 1, 2,3...). You want cpu and sys/chassis fans to spin at a custom curve. Near each fan section you see 4 options - bios controlled, manual, Software, and multiple controllers. You want software controlled (Argus). Once yous elect soft controlled, you will get Fan config.

Left of "Curve" click the button, and set the "continuous mode" to like e.g. 20 or 30 (20 = 20% of your fans max rpm - mine are 2000rpm, my 20% are 400rpm which won't go bellow). Click OK

Click "Curve" a s set your own. My is 35C/20%, 40C/25%, 50C/35% etc. Pro tip : once you have this, left corner click "save" so you can reuse it on other without having to mingle again. On next Curve, just click 'open' and use your previously saved custom curve. Saves time...

Then once all is done on the bottom you see fan profile on startup. Click Profile 1 and save profile. In Menu (top left), click Backup settings. Then on same tab click Settings and tick autostart Argus and start minimized. OK

You're welcome. Share word. Cause in these part days I've seen people desperate writing posts of how efd they are with this.

-----------ARGUS MONITOR----------
Nice- good on you for sharing.

Out of curiosity, what motherboard / processor combo are you using?

I feel like a broken record saying this but I haven’t had this problem or any cool whine problems with my gigabyte B650M DS3H/7800X3D. It’s worked great for me, other than instability I faced when I tried to avoid reinstalling windows upon installation. Once I did a fresh install and used AMD’s drivers I was set. Sorry you had all those problems and I’m glad that your new mb worked it all out for you.

Back