5950x and Memory Overclock Fail

TheOne&OnlyZeke

100% Irish
So I've been running an MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi board, 3900x and 32gb of corsair dominator 3200mhz ram for the last few years with 0 issues.
Decided to get a 5950x from amazon warehouse over here as there was a good deal.
So first 5950x I get..machine boots maybe twice, otherwise red CPU light on the board and definitely won't attempt to get passed BIOS if I sent the ram speed correctly.(memory overclocking fail)
Sent it back, got a second. This one booted fine into windows, set the ram speed. worked until I ran a game. Machine locked up and then it either BSOD with a WHEA error or just wouldn't boot.
So since I'm a sucker for punishment....got a third.
Just put it in, booted to windows. Great. back into BIOS and set the ram speed at 3200mhz
"Memory Overclocking Fail"
If I put back in my 3900x and set the ram (no XMP enabled) to the right speed, it will boot and never cause me an issue.
I presume I'll just have to put this down to shitty luck. I know I'm getting from the warehouse, so these are there for a reason...just hoped that reason was not "cpu fecked"

I have the latest BIOS installed also. did that before i ever put in the first 5950x

Anything else I can try? (before you answer, I am out of the down and dirty motherboard settings rabbit hole for so long I can barely remember what to do)

The QVL is funny. It will be compatible with say that ram and your 3900X. But check with the 5900X and it might not be compatible.

I had problems with Corsair back in the DDR2 days on my X48 board. I dont touch anything made by them anymore.

I'm honestly tempted to send it back, and buy a 7900x bundle from the USA. You've got some great deals over there

turn off xmp/docp, manually set the speed and timings, and bump the voltage.

Try soc 1.125 and 1.4 dram voltage
For me this fixes similar issue on a few of my x570 rigs

These are good suggestions. I'd wager MSI is doing something funky on the auto settings.

Regardless of if you're running 4 x 8GB or 2 x 16GB... Every Zen 3 CPU should be able to do 3200MHz EASY. On a 5950X I'm running two dual rank sticks at 3600MHz with 1.125V vSOC so you might be able to drop it down slightly, but I think the consensus is generally about up to~1.2V is safe for 24/7 on Zen 3 but that should be totally unnecessary for that frequency (unless you are cursed by the Ryzen Gods.) Also in the BIOS I would make sure you're running FCLK:UCLK:MCLK 1:1:1.

The QVL is funny. It will be compatible with say that ram and your 3900X. But check with the 5900X and it might not be compatible.

I had problems with Corsair back in the DDR2 days on my X48 board. I dont touch anything made by them anymore.
The memory QVL is funny because it's largely irrelevant, now on modern platforms with the CPU having an integrated memory controller. AFAIK Zen 2 or Zen 3 don't particularly dislike a specific RAM IC when you're running a "low" speed. Sure some ICs can scale/clock higher than others, but it's not like the early stages of when Zen launched where your only hope was to get Samsung B Die if you wanted 3200MHz.

I wouldn't put your anger towards Corsair. Blame Intel for the 82X48 Memory Controller Hub or blame the actual OEM of the memory ICs (Samsung, Micron, etc...)

The memory QVL is funny because it's largely irrelevant
I know what you mean. I have a bunch of B-Die that works just fine in my rigs. I have some Adatas that are not on my QVL and while they do work, I had to create a profile to run them, because the board wont save settings if the power is killed to the PSU. With my 3 pairs of B-Die there are 0 problems. One pair of my B-Die are not on the QVL and there are no problems, so luck of the draw I guess.
AFAIK Zen 2 or Zen 3 don't particularly dislike a specific RAM IC when you're running a "low" speed.
Its all on google, maybe no problems here on the forum, but they are out there in the hundreds.
I wouldn't put your anger towards Corsair.
Fuck them and their mix and match memory.

Ok I tried all the settings. Manually set the timings, set the speed, set the SOC voltage (could get 1.2 but not 1.25)
Also set the ram voltage to 1.4. Tired mixing and matching a bit but still no good

In case it helps, my experience with RAM overlocking with a 5950X and an Asus CH8DH is that it will fail memory training if I set both the timings and the clock speed at the same time. I have to set the timings, reboot, then set the clock speed.

One 5950X having a bad IMC? Possible... 3 of them though? Extremely unlikely. You should not need anywhere near 1.25V of SoC or 1.4V for DDR for 3200Mhz. I run my B-Die sticks of 3200Mhz at 3800Mhz with only 1.38V DDR and 1.05V SoC.

I'm guessing your memory is simply not compatible with the sub-timings. You can always manually set these, but if you are not familiar with setting 2nd and 3rd level timings, it could be a daunting task.

Back