512 or 1024?

pentup

Limp Gawd
Memory FAQ is butchered and I couldn't find it searching, so I guess I'll ask you. I am going to be building a A64 system very soon, and I was wondering how much memory I should get? It will mainly be a gaming computer, and will most likely have dual channel capibilites. It will also most likely not be overclocked. I have been thinking about getting 1024MB, but that's a bit expensive for my tastes at the moment.

I guess my main question is, does 1024MB make a noticable difference with current games? If not, I think I'll just get 2x256... Or maybe 512 now and another 512 down the road?

With the current gaming situation, 512 is becoming standard fair. This is not to say that everyone needs a gig of ram, but it wouldnt hurt you to have it especially for today's games that are becoming major ram hogs. 512 is fine for now, but I would look into upgrading if you plan on playing some of the higher end games, such as Farcry, UT2k4 and so forth.

I'd get one 512 mb right now if you don't want to spend the money for 2x512 as long as you're planning to get another 512 stick in the *near* future. If you don't want to upgrade then get 2x256 and run it dual channel as that will be a little faster than one. And if you're going to be playing BF1942, ut2k4 and future games like doom3 and hl2 a gig of RAM would help you out.Memory prices sure have gone up though, I bought a stick of Hyperx PC3200 for 120 and then went to buy another stick and prices had jumped to $150-185 for the same stick of RAM.

2x512MB for games. Won't oc as high since most of 'em are double-sided but you said you didn't want to oc :D. If you have a friend who has 2x256MB clocked much higher and starts bragging about it, watch your computer load games much faster and own him!

Alright, I'll buy 1x512 now and more when it becomes necessary. Thanks guys!

Toying with the idea of adding another 512 to my 512. In everybody's experience, is the only gaming benefit really only faster loading times? Would there be a noticable increase in smoothness in actual gameplay across the board, or are we just talking levels talking 5 seconds to load instead of 20?

I usually notice smoother textures...not sure if I'm just hallucinating but ;)

Eyeball Kid said:
Do you mean visually smoother? :confused:

Mostly like the transitions...you know when you like go around a hill and the textures are constantly changing...ok I'll shut up now.

DaveX said:
Mostly like the transitions...you know when you like go around a hill and the textures are constantly changing...ok I'll shut up now.
I know what your talking about. I've seen this the most in big open games like Battlefield. But I've also always seen an accompanying flickering of the HDD LED, which leads me to believe it's my slow harddrives :)

Which gets me thinkin... Maybe I should just get the 1024 and disable my paging file.

I know from personal experience that 1GB of RAM allows me to play BFV or BF1942 (larger out door enviroments) at higher detail levels than 512MB does. I don't know why, but the system lags a LOT less with the extra RAM unless I bump the quality down to medium. Now I know partly that's a graphics card issue, but some of my systems "short comings" are made up for with the extra RAM. :)

Back