-5 Volt?

Quigon

Weaksauce
My -5V reading is -3.55 and is giving me an alarm when I use disk doctor. Now I know the bios readings can be off, but this seems fairly extreme.

What is the -5V reading about? And why might this be off, or what problems could this create?

This is on my brand new enermax 475P I just installed.

Otherwise everything else looks great.

Operating tolerances for the -5 volt rail have been completely dropped from the latest ATX spec, Revision 2.01, and have been ignored since Revision 1.2. That's because it's rarely used in home computers. You would know if you needed the -5 volt supply, because it's only used for special applications in this day and age.

Don't worry about it. Your motherboard sensors are probably off, but it's not like it matters anyways.

if its giving you problems you would probably be best off cutting the -5v wire and putting some electrical tape around the ends...

problem solved :)

Have you checked it with a DMM? don't trust what you see on your monitor all the time.

Chances are it's quite right with that line. Since there is no load to keep it in regulation, it'll be waaayy out there, but again no worries.

Back