420 (nice) Radiator question

DWolvin

2[H]4U
Hey all
Just reaching out to those that are smarter than me (low bar, I promise). I'm looking for a 420 radiator, prefer thicker but not important. What is important is that I want a fillport on the opposite side from the normal I/O ports if at all possible. Although I just realized I could put a T connection on the outlet and lead that to a remote reservoir instead... Which puts Heatkiller back in the mix. Any other good rads I should look at?

Thanks- I also asked over on overclock, and leaning toward the HWL SR2 420, it's going to be mounted perpendicular to the 'MB plate', so thick will look better. And that way I can run the fans at lower speed. The Phantek PH-D30s look amazing but are pretty loud at high RPM (reverse blade/pull). The Quantums look very nice, but I'm not sure I feel like giving EK that much money ever again.

The Quantums look very nice, but I'm not sure I feel like giving EK that much money ever again.
I am a HWLabs fanboy/loyal customer but I wish they would update the look and fit of their rads. The dimensions and aesthetics has remained the same for years. I would rather give my money to HWlabs than EK but sometimes EK's rads fit better into a space where milimeters matter and tbh EK rads look more buttoned up at this point.

Last edited:
Yeah, and I have to admit that I am starting to lean EK just because all I can find for the thick HWL is white frame, plus it's more reasonable than I expected.

Yeah, and I have to admit that I am starting to lean EK just because all I can find for the thick HWL is white frame, plus it's more reasonable than I expected.
performance-pcs.com should have the black version.

I like the Alphacool rads. I have 4 of them. They have them all the way down to 20mm or 30mm 45 60 and 80mm also. Prices are decent. Quality is outstanding.

HWlab 420gts is a great performer and only 30mm. I learned the hard way, thinner is better. More mounting options down the road and the performance is there. Recently replaced a 80mm thicc 280mm push-pull alphacool rad with a 420gts push, gives about the same performance and doesn't take up a third of the case.

Alphacool rads are my second choice with many sizes. They usually have the most port options, their thicker u-flow rads have 6 port options on one side and an additional port on the opposite side that can be used as a fill/drain or bleeder.

Last edited:
HWlab 420gts is a great performer and only 30mm. I learned the hard way, thinner is better. More mounting options down the road and the performance is there. Recently replaced a 80mm thicc 280mm push-pull alphacool rad with a 420gts push, gives about the same performance and doesn't take up a third of the case.

Alphacool rads are my second choice with many sizes. They usually have the most port options, their thicker u-flow rads have 6 port options on one side and an additional port on the opposite side that can be used as a fill/drain or bleeder.
Also I'd like to add that Alphacool sizes are great. I recently grabbed a very slim 240 that's is only 20mm thick that was exactly the slimness I needed to fit in the rear of my case that can actually accept 240 rad.
https://shop.alphacool.com/en/shop/...ool-nexxxos-hpe-20-full-copper-240mm-radiator

Back