4080 or 4090 for 4K gaming?

There is no graphics card out there that can handle all games on ultra at >120fps. Cyberpunk, Hogwarts, etc won't work.
DLSS gets you most of the way there.

The reality is there are VERY few games and circumstances where you need 120+ fps, especially with gsync.. so ..

Nobody plays ALL games. People play a certain select few and if ultra plays at 120fps on the game YOU play, who gives a shit about ALL games. The games I play I get 120fps. That is all I care about.

Nobody plays ALL games. People play a certain select few and if ultra plays at 120fps on the game YOU play, who gives a shit about ALL games. The games I play I get 120fps. That is all I care about.

Okay, but the OP's question was not "which card should I get to play all of the games that jarablue or Niner21 play at 4k with Ultra settings". It was for much more generally playing games at 4k. Considering even the 4090 has trouble in some titles today, and that scales down to the 4080 (and its VRAM), it's going to be the stronger choice. If they had a specific list of games, then we could consider those further, but they don't.

Doesn't matter, they've made their decision.

Do the 3 prong adapter the 4 is pointless they have tested it. 3 provides more than enough power. I have the triple prong adapter one of my 4090s and it maxes it out full wattage. To be honest I am looking to upgrade it to a nice little ATX3.0 PCIE5 Gold rated power supply with the native plug sometime soon here because the prices have dropped almost to the 150 range for a nice gold one and i hate my old PS it's funky.
Great, thanks for letting me know!
Do the 3 prong adapter the 4 is pointless they have tested it. 3 provides more than enough power. I have the triple prong adapter one of my 4090s and it maxes it out full wattage. To be honest I am looking to upgrade it to a nice little ATX3.0 PCIE5 Gold rated power supply with the native plug sometime soon here because the prices have dropped almost to the 150 range for a nice gold one and i hate my old PS it's funky.I

Great, thanks
I decided to go with the 4 prong PWR cable, to be safe as my card has this OC switch and since it is not an nVvidis reference card (with and extra fan, and manufacturer OC out of the box) the only thing that gets me is the naming ‘basics’ for the cable as they usually mean ‘chalet/less premium’. (I got the CableMods 90 angle 4 prong one)

for letting me know!

4080 is just a bad buy at $1200, period. Supposedly Nvidia is refreshing the 4080 next year. We'll see.

In my opinion, 4090 is only card worth getting once you are north of $1k. If they had an AD102 based 20GB 4080 Ti at $1200, I'd say that would be fine, but here we are.

RTX4090 is the king of 4K resolution, even with all graphics maxed on games... no debate, 4090 all the way. Even if money is an issue, save until you can afford the 4090 over the 4080.

In my mind the future looks like this with a 4090 at 4k:

1698088714478.png

As a 4090, asus z790 apex and 13900ks owner i feel i can say:

a) The apex and KS have only been good for a few infantile benching boners.

b) In all honesty at 4k 120Hrz who gives a damn about the motherboard, cpu and ram?

Get a 4090 and put it in whatever the rest gets you.

I sold my apex + 13900ks and run a 12600k now on a DDR4 Board with my 4090 - whisper quiet on air.
Don´t judge me since not even you could make out the difference in a blind gaming test.

On the other hand anybody will be able to feel the difference between a 4080 and 4090 rig at that resolution.

Conerning Sony:
I would never ever pay the Sony tax by downgrading the GPU since you can get the same WOLED panel from LG way cheaper

I urge you to do more research before spending.
An Kindly review the Samsung QN90B - It has its dimming quirks but at least you know what´s what and you will never worry if it gets worse over time (Don´t get the version with an extra 40GBs-only hdmi connect box)

Last edited:
It's an nvidia graph so I expect some bias. I'd bet you can easily get 45fps @k native by tweaking a few settings.
I bet you can easily reach 100 fps by tweaking a few setting (just enabling DLSS probably already make more than half that work) but the op clearly want all settings set at ultra and the conversation is around that.

I bet you can easily reach 100 fps by tweaking a few setting (just enabling DLSS probably already make more than half that work) but the op clearly want all settings set at ultra and the conversation is around that.
I mean, even going by your own graph, 100+ FPS with DLSS on the 4080 sounds just dandy. No point in comparing the 4080 or 4090 in native when these games are programmed & optimized for DLSS. With that in mind I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make, but if you're saying that you need a 4090 over a 4080 for this reason, then I have to point out the silliness of that logic.

Nobody is buying high end cards and playing their games at native. Everyone's using DLSS, trust me. Arguments about framerates at native at 4k can go right out the door because they're outdated and irrelevant. Whenever I'm seeing arbitrary measurements mental gymnastics about why 4k isn't ideal, not viable, or whatever - it's all bunk. In my mind, 4k has been conquered since the 1080Ti.

Nobody is buying high end cards and playing their games at native. Everyone's using DLSS, trust me. Arguments about framerates at native at 4k can go right out the door because they're outdated and irrelevant. Whenever I'm seeing arbitrary measurements mental gymnastics about why 4k isn't ideal, not viable, or whatever - it's all bunk. In my mind, 4k has been conquered since the 1080Ti.
Exactly.

I mean, even going by your own graph, 100+ FPS with DLSS on the 4080 sounds just dandy. No point in comparing the 4080 or 4090 in native when these games are programmed & optimized for DLSS. With that in mind I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make, but if you're saying that you need a 4090 over a 4080 for this reason, then I have to point out the silliness of that logic.

100+ is with the frame generated number, the game is probably running below 60.

I am not saying you need a video card, I am saying that if you want to play at ultra setting at 4k native
1) Depending of the game you want to play it will not be feasible with any existing hardware
2) If you want to most demanding and upcoming one and insist to play at 4k ultra-near ultra setting, go for the 4090 no question
3) I would never recommand 2.

No one saying 4k is not ideal or viable, the op is very clear about all the settings at ultra and 4k native. I am obviously suggesting to consider to not do this and not agreeing with people that say with a 120 hz monitor a 4090 is overkill, when there is and will see more and more game that a 4090 has an hard time doing 40 fps for what the op want to do.

No way bro. Even my 3080Ti wasn't enough for 4k.
The 4090 is though. Even then it's not immortal. A almost 10 year old game like Batman Arkham Knight can bring the 4090 down on one knee at 4K ultra everything 144hz with the modified ini. File for high framerate. A 1080Ti? Bro that's just silly.

Even my 3080Ti wasn't enough for 4k.
At the time it was released my 3080Ti did very well in 4k with everything maxed out. The 1080Ti was the same though at the time of its release 4k wasn't really that much a main stream thing. Games get progressively more demanding so naturally video cards have to progress with them as we all know. There will always be a new game that brings the latest high end video card to its knees. Debating back and forth is just a waste of time.

At the time it was released my 3080Ti did very well in 4k with everything maxed out. The 1080Ti was the same though at the time of its release 4k wasn't really that much a main stream thing. Games get progressively more demanding so naturally video cards have to progress with them as we all know. There will always be a new game that brings the latest high end video card to its knees. Debating back and forth is just a waste of time.
Lol but my point was that a 10 year old game can bring a current day 4090 to it's knees. That was an interesting point. If everything was a waste of time to debate then just sign out of the forums and don't t post bro 🤪

Lol but my point was that a 10 year old game can bring a current day 4090 to it's knees. That was an interesting point. If everything was a waste of time to debate then just sign out of the forums and don't t post bro 🤪
Thanks, but I'll continue on.

Last edited by a moderator:
4090 for sure if you can swing the price hike.. they are about 1k more than 4080's rn.. I played at 4k on my 4080 and it did perfectly fine in most situations.. only a couple games seemed like they wanted more than 16G memory wise.. Vram aside the 4090 is a friggen beast and is significantly more powerful than a 4080. I was kind of shocked. Which is why I sold my 4080 and got a 4090. Either will play 4k fine but the 4090 has a lot more under the hood.

4080 would be fine for 4k 60Hz. Have a 4k 120+Hz display you want to realize the full potential of? 4090 no question. Go cheaper somewhere else in your system if you have to. Even if you bought one today at an inflated price, it will be the top dog for long enough to be worth your while.

4080 would be fine for 4k 60Hz. Have a 4k 120+Hz display you want to realize the full potential of? 4090 no question. Go cheaper somewhere else in your system if you have to. Even if you bought one today at an inflated price, it will be the top dog for long enough to be worth your while.
Good point!

My 4080 does very well at 4K 120hz, so I have to disagree with you there. Anything over that then yeah a 4090 would be the choice. Since my LG C2 doesn't go above that I have no worries.

My 4080 does very well at 4K 120hz, so I have to disagree with you there. Anything over that then yeah a 4090 would be the choice. Since my LG C2 doesn't go above that I have no worries.

Okay, but the OP's question was not "which card should I get to play all of the games that jarablue or Niner21 play at 4k with Ultra settings". It was for much more generally playing games at 4k. Considering even the 4090 has trouble in some titles today, and that scales down to the 4080 (and its VRAM), it's going to be the stronger choice. If they had a specific list of games, then we could consider those further, but they don't.

Why does this just keep going in circles (in multiple threads)? Like we get it, for what you play and the graphic fidelity you're after, the 4080 is sufficient. That's cool. I'm happy for you. But if we're talking what GPU is a better investment when you're at the cusp of where essentially no GPU is good enough in general, then the answer is the 4090, which is the strongest card on the market. Do you need post purchase justification that much? The place where the 4080 makes sense is where there are nonlinear increases in FPS due to turning on DLSS, so like say if both the 4090 and the 4080 were insufficient at native 4k to drive 120Hz, but then turning on DLSS (with the same DLSS setting) made both of them sufficient (and the 4090 overkill) then obviously the less expensive option makes sense. I'm not sure how many cases that actually exists in, though.

Now, with the 4090 basically climbing to twice the price of the 4080 (and 4080 prices in turn dropping), it's hard to swallow the 4090's price, though. At this point I think everyone should be waiting for the 4080 Super and hoping for a miracle (assuming they need a card now, anyway), because the 4090 prices are just too damn high.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=539&sort=price&page=1

Only one even remotely reasonable option, and that's probably going to be sold out soon...

Back