240fsb wall? P4P800 delux w/ 3.0c / koolance

paulmofyourhand

[H]ard|Gawd
p4p800 / 3.0c / koolance case CPU and northbridged cooled.
2*256mb xms pc3200LL / forton 350w / 200gb WD / ti4200

im new to an ASUS motherboard, im more familiar with the ABIT IS7.

im confused in bios, because the abit has 5:4 mulitpliers that you can choose, and asus picks it automatically,
is there an option to manually adjust it?

i went ahead and tried the "overclock 20%" which got me to 3.6ghz @ 240 fsb....

when i changed it to manual, and tried higher fsb, the results were no post

ive tried bumping the Vcore to 1.6v, nothing

tried bumping vdimm to 2.75v, nothing
relax timings didnt help either

is there an asus thing i don't know about? the bios is rather confusing to me,

-paulm

That's really unusual, but I think you're right in that you can't adjust the divisor manually (at least I've never seen a way to do it), but I don't have an 800FSB processor either. Unless your processor/RAM has hit a wall which I would consider somewhat unlikely unless it's trying to go 1:1
you probably have a weak board

The asus divider is slightly hidden under ddr speed I think. It has 4 options of auto 400 320 and 266 (auto 1:1 5:4 3:2) IT should be on the screen when you change the processor speed to manual.

You can change it when the speed is set to manual like ChAotiCIllusion said. Both of the newer Asus mobos I've had (P4P800 Deluxe and P4C800E Deluxe) had it this way.
Not sure if it is that confusing but I've been using Asus boards for years so I'm used to their quirks and adjusting to any new ones. Newer ran my I865/75 boards at stock or auto-oc, always sat it to 245fsb as a minimum ^.^;;

You could be at the limit of the cpu, 240 fsb is quite decent for a 3Ghz chip, 3.5-3.6 seem to be the limit of most C cpu's, a few get further though but it's not that many.

Back