2001FP vs. ATI 9600 incompatability test

I'm try to research an issue that occurs w/the 2001FP and ATI 9600 video cards. I'm sure there are a lot of people around here w/this combination, but so far no one has confirmed that they *do not* have this problem w/this specific monitor & card combo. The test conditions are:

1) an ATI 9600-based card
2) 2001FP connected via DVI
3) *nothing* connected to the 9600 VGA port
4) Catalyst drivers v3.8 or later

This combination results in a system lock up at windows startup after the initial loading screen (ie. when the driver attempts to initialize). It only occurs w/the 9600 and only when the 9600's VGA port is not terminated (ie. not connected to anything).

If you have a 2001FP and a 9600, can you please try the above and then report the result along w/the manufacture date of your 2001FP.

Thanks,
Steve

It's not just the 2001fps that have this problem. I had the exact same problem with my 9600pro and a Planar PLV174. It worked off and on, but any of the drivers after 3.8 pretty much were guaranteed not too work. After messing with it for about two weeks, I flashed the BIOS with a newer one I found online, and it worked perfect after that. I ended up selling it a few weeks later, wasn't enough of an upgrade from my Ti4400.

Mine worked. November manu. date.

But, the 9600 caused other issues so it's back to it's maker. Happy with my troublefree Nvidia G3Ultra :)

I have the same issues, as well as my bother (my brother has a 9600 pro and an 1800 FP connected via DVI). I cannot use anything past catalyst 3.8's. I really wits I knew a solution. Has anyone presented this problem to ATI?

well thanks for this thread, i almost bought that monitor for my 9600pro. oh well ill wait untill i upgrade my vid card b4 i buy an lcd. everything will be cheaper by then and i dont exactly need an upgrade now.

ATI is actively working to diagnose and resolve this issue (which also appears to occur w/certain combinations of nvidia + DVI monitors as well). For ATI, it appears limited to only the 9600 series, and within that, only a few DVI displays, and within that, only in the newer Catalyst releases. This obviously makes it a very difficult issue to diagnose.

Due, were you definitely using Catalyst 3.8 or later and did you definitely not have anything on your 9600's VGA port, including when you installed the drivers?

Thanks,
Steve

I have an 1801fp and an ATI Radeon 9600XT...

My machine would boot, but once it got to the desktop it give me a black screen for about 5 seconds then show the desktop for about 2 seconds, and repeat this endlessly. About every 5 or so restarts the desktop would come up normally.

I spent an hour on the phone wil ATI today, the fix turned out to be setting the refresh rate to 70hz instead of the 60hz that Dell suggests.

I have a problem that is like the problem you are talking about. I have a ATI 9800 pro and a 2001fp running on the DVI connection.

The problem is that when I have the 2001fp set to 1600*1200 res. after the Windows Splash screen my screen will sometimes just turn to a blank out page. I can hear windows logging on but there is no picture. If I set the res. down to 12*10 and 11 bit it will not have this issue and I can then change the res bacl to 16*12 and no issues till I reboot. I and reinstalled and the issue followed with the new install. I have tried the 3.5 cat drivers the newer driver and just the microsoft drivers and the problem followed. I have tested the system with a 9700 pro card and the problem still followed. The problem will happen about 2 out 0f 5 boots and I have no idea what is going on with the issue.

Does any one else have this issue or heard out it. Is it a issue with the 2001fp and ati cards or a driver or windows issue.

PLEASE HELP

Back