2.1 or 5.1

Dominat0r

2[H]4U
2.1 or 5.1 sorry title was wrong =)

Well trying to decide to keep my z640's or go pickup those EV Sonic XS from Compusa.

I play alot of games, but is surround really worth it over the raw power of the sonic? Im kinda worry about the sub not being shielded too, any thoughts?

You can always take them back if you don't like them, so I say try them out. I've never had any problems with the sub being unshielded, it probobly sits around 5 feet away from me and my computer. I still have to break them in though, but so far they sound great.

Problem is simple, i only have about 1 ft tops to put a sub. I dont want to have to stick it close to my box.

desk1.jpg

Are you certain that your existing subwoofer is shielded?

IM pretty sure they all shielded. I have no signs of interference...taken from logitech's site:

Heart-Pounding Home Theater Sound on a Budget
Experience Dolby Digital sound for music, movies and games
Included adapter provides instant connectivity to video game consoles
Innovative, dual-chamber subwoofer delivers twice the bass energy of similar subwoofers
Four stylish satellites stand on desk or mount on wall to provide smooth mid and high frequencies
Center channel speaker with system controls rests on your monitor or your desk
Internal power supply eliminates bulky wall adapters
Two-year warranty
Magnetic shielding in speakers protects your equipment

Yeah, but read down into the specifications section and it says:

Shielded satellites for use near video monitors

It's a little ambiguous since they don't specifically state whether or not the sub's also shielded. For what it's worth, that sub was technology bought in the Labtec deal. I have a Labtec Pulse-424 setup on another computer that has what might be the same sub and it's not shielded.

what you should get depends on what you need

5.1 for DVDs
4.1 for Games
2.1 for Music
2.0/headphones for everything

Think im going to sell some stuff off and go with Z560's. I think its the best over choice for me. I figured that a center channel is worth the extra power.

I dont think i could live with out some nice gaming action, thanks all.

Little more bass, more overall sound. I like my z640's but the music is started to sound hollow, like not clean.

I want something with cleaner bass and midrange.

Originally posted by Highlife
Little more bass, more overall sound. I like my z640's but the music is started to sound hollow, like not clean.

I want something with cleaner bass and midrange.

Since he got a nforce 2 soundstorm it´s really like this.

5.1 for DVD:s
5.1 for GAMING
Audigy 2 for MUSIC and headphones :D

I got a nforce 2 soundstorm mainboard and I just got my Audigy and man do the Audigy rock in analogue headphone mode! All I have tried yet.

z-680 is quite decent but I don´t see why you don´t get a home theater setup. Soundstorm is build for that. I bet you can get much better sound quality for the same amount of money that way.

Personally I got the Pure Videologic Digitheatre Platinum and love them to bits.

5.1 Gaming in every game absolutely rock. Especially in racing/flightsims and fps or whatever that has an engine or gun right in front of you. Not to say the smoother panning and better speech.

If you can get hold of some Digitheatre Platinum they are really nice all around performers. They aren´t as cheap as the z640 but to me they only costed like 420$ which is really cheap for what you get.

Perfect for those who are lazy and don´t like to DIY :) The plusses is that you get a perfectly balanced system where every part complement eachother and doesn´t cost a fortune.

I posted those suggestions based on what the different uses were designed for.

IIRC:
DVDs always have a 5.1 channel sound option
Nearly every game is designed for 4.1
Music is really supposed to be 2.0, but many people like the subwoofer (not including DVD-A and SACD)
Headphones are good for everything because you only have 2 ears

I cut my promedia 5.1's to 2.2's. why? I really dislike surround sound at the moment for some reason, and probably going to sell these 5.1's and just get some studio monitors for my computer.

Must be the lost love for stereo :p

Originally posted by zachary80
I posted those suggestions based on what the different uses were designed for.

IIRC:
DVDs always have a 5.1 channel sound option
Nearly every game is designed for 4.1
Music is really supposed to be 2.0, but many people like the subwoofer (not including DVD-A and SACD)
Headphones are good for everything because you only have 2 ears

Yes but Soundstorm do alive encoding dolby digital on the fly which gives you 5.1 surround in games designed for 4.1. And I really don´t notice any difference from games with native 5.1 support so it works really really well.

But Audigy 2 is not inferior for gaming in any way. It´s just that Home theater speakers are useless for Audigy soundcards so either you get perhaps a slightly better soundcard for gaming if you like EAX and a bit worse speakers or the other way around.

Originally posted by oqvist

But Audigy 2 is not inferior for gaming in any way. It´s just that Home theater speakers are useless for Audigy soundcards so either you get perhaps a slightly better soundcard for gaming if you like EAX and a bit worse speakers or the other way around.

How are they useless? Some mini jack to rca plugs can easily do so.

Since he got a nforce 2 soundstorm it´s really like this.

5.1 for DVD:s
5.1 for GAMING
Audigy 2 for MUSIC and headphones :D

I got a nforce 2 soundstorm mainboard and I just got my Audigy and man do the Audigy rock in analogue headphone mode! All I have tried yet.

z-680 is quite decent but I don´t see why you don´t get a home theater setup. Soundstorm is build for that. I bet you can get much better sound quality for the same amount of money that way.

Personally I got the Pure Videologic Digitheatre Platinum and love them to bits.

5.1 Gaming in every game absolutely rock. Especially in racing/flightsims and fps or whatever that has an engine or gun right in front of you. Not to say the smoother panning and better speech.

If you can get hold of some Digitheatre Platinum they are really nice all around performers. They aren´t as cheap as the z640 but to me they only costed like 420$ which is really cheap for what you get.

Perfect for those who are lazy and don´t like to DIY :) The plusses is that you get a perfectly balanced system where every part complement eachother and doesn´t cost a fortune.

Im using the Audigy only, my board comes with the AC97 sound, not the Soundstorm. That comes on the Delta ISLR version of my board. I might give those EV sonics a try. I dont really watch that much movies on my puter, but I do game alot and listen to music. I think a 4.1 setup would be the best.

Originally posted by Highlife
Im using the Audigy only, my board comes with the AC97 sound, not the Soundstorm. That comes on the Delta ISLR version of my board. I might give those EV sonics a try. I dont really watch that much movies on my puter, but I do game alot and listen to music. I think a 4.1 setup would be the best.

Yes then it´s a no brainer. Audigy 2 and some nice 4.1 speakers.

Originally posted by Duck-BOT
How are they useless? Some mini jack to rca plugs can easily do so.

For 5.1 Gaming :) I sure can´t get 5.1 gaming with my Audigy 2 and Digitheatre Platinum speakers and those are almost considered "Half computer speakers"

Dolby surround is probably the best I can get when not using my Soundstorm of course.

For 5.1 Gaming :) I sure can´t get 5.1 gaming with my Audigy 2 and Digitheatre Platinum speakers and those are almost considered "Half computer speakers"

Dolby surround is probably the best I can get when not using my Soundstorm of course.

When they are hooked up that way, oqvist, you get 5.1 gaming.

Originally posted by Duck-BOT
When they are hooked up that way, oqvist, you get 5.1 gaming.

How would that be possible? Since my HT speakers as well as most don´t have separate rear channels?

For that you require a soundcard that encodes dolby digital which only the soundstorm or some AC97-solutions do currently.

Otherwise you get the same output on both your rear speakers.

I don't know why people say this. The $300 Z-680s sound WAY better than those cheap ass $300 HTIAB setups.

Originally posted by agentzero9
I don't know why people say this. The $300 Z-680s sound WAY better than those cheap ass $300 HTIAB setups.

Well those I haven´t tried but I got some 400-500$ speakers and compare those with the Z-680 is really a non contest. But I don´t think the Z-680 do very well against the Klipsch and 550/510D either...

Well those I haven´t tried but I got some 400-500$ speakers and compare those with the Z-680 is really a non contest. But I don´t think the Z-680 do very well against the Klipsch and 550/510D either...

Well add a reciver to that (you'll need one) and you are talking about twice the price at the Z-680s. Not really a fair comparison.

Originally posted by agentzero9
Well add a reciver to that (you'll need one) and you are talking about twice the price at the Z-680s. Not really a fair comparison.

I got a receiver for my $400 Platinums. An inbuild one for sure but still. Capable of DTS, Dolby digital and PRO LOGIC.

Back