14900KS coming with new boards same 1700 socket TechYES video

And here it is:

Anandtech
Tom's Hardware

$689, available today.
Same base clock as 14900k, +200 P, +100 E on turbo, only +100 all P-core turbo. 150W/253W/320W/All your Watts are belong to it.

Still inferior in gaming in most cases to AMD's X3D chips. Just behind 7950X in multithreaded productivity, but ahead in single.

And here it is:

Anandtech
Tom's Hardware

$689, available today.
Same base clock as 14900k, +200 P, +100 E on turbo, only +100 all P-core turbo. 150W/253W/320W/All your Watts are belong to it.

Still inferior in gaming in most cases to AMD's X3D chips. Just behind 7950X in multithreaded productivity, but ahead in single.

Where is it listed available now at $689?

Nothing on Amazon yet.
Nothing at BB.

Per intel.

1710441431001.png

I'm seeing some early adopter pricing:

I've seen MC listed.
1710441453761.png

Newegg
1710439871183.png

Preorder at B&H.
1710439930401.png

Last edited:
And here it is:

Anandtech
Tom's Hardware

$689, available today.

I think the real comparison is with the 7950x3d - which is ahead in games and behind in productivity, by about the same amount each. But at half the power. So if you want both high end gaming and productivity prowess, which do you need more of (and are you ok with handling an extra 80-150W of cpu cooling)? Both of those are very niche products imo, but it's ironically the best use case for Intel as the AMD chips are otherwise better (7800x3d for gaming, 7950x for productivity).

As a guy who has talked with customers face-to-face and sold gaming PCs out of a brick-and-mortar store for over a decade:

There are some who "just want the best" and will 'sort by price: highest-to-lowest' and add two of the top result to cart.

I keep saying this, but PC Gaming is an INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY, REDICULOUSLY cheap hobby. like, to the point of parody.

Think of ANY hobby where $10,000 can get you the literal endgame 'can't get any better' 'top 10 in the world' 'literally can't spend any more money' example of that hobby.

motorbikes?
import cars?
RC planes/cars?
woodworking?
machining/metalwork?
camping/4x4?
sailing/fishing?
hunting/shooting?

Nothing as cheap as PCs. $750? Thats a weekend for most hobbies. So the fact that there's a LOT of people (more than you think, Yes, I'm talking to YOU, yes YOU: more than YOU THINK) who look at dropping $5-6K on a PC and think "Hey, that's 1/3 of the price of my mid-range boat motor"... Spending an extra $100-$200 bucks on getting "The top end" versus "The second to top end" is a fart in the wind.
aka e-peen

Or there are people that don't want to rebuild their entire system with every new or every other new platform (which is even more e_peen) and just get the best chip and RAM and GPU available and have it last a decent while longer vs going mid range or budget and need to upgrade more frequency. I fall into the long run category.

One thing I'm curious about is if the difference is minimal at 4k right now between cpus, it may be because 4k is making the 4090 work hard to push high frames.

What about when I replace it with a 5090 on my existing 13900/14900 CPU platforms would the CPU upgrade I do now benefit the 5090 in the long run? Ever thing about that?

If the 5090 makes light work of 4k just like the 4090 makes light work at 1080p in the same way, then that's a compelling angle to think about.

It is a lot easier and less of a headache to swap out a graphics card vs swapping an entire CPU RAM MB combo. Not that I can't do it in a couple hours easy, it's just that there's more to it. No need to? The CPU has enough horsepower to no need to deal with upgrading. Don't need to deal with selling the old platform. The newer platform is not proven over years and years of refinement like the Z790 platform. Some people want what just works and works almost perfectly with no issues. Sure I can build a new PC anytime, but I just don't want to. I like squeezing the most out of what I've got.

Considering all these things. I'm looking at my 12700K and undecided.

Last edited:
Or there are people that don't want to rebuild their entire system with every new or every other new platform (which is even more e_peen) and just get the best chip and RAM and GPU available and have it last a decent while longer vs going mid range or budget and need to upgrade more frequency. I fall into the long run category.

One thing I'm curious about is if the difference is minimal at 4k right now between cpus, it may be because 4k is making the 4090 work hard to push high frames.

What about when I replace it with a 5090 on my existing 13900/14900 CPU platforms would the CPU upgrade I do now benefit the 5090 in the long run? Ever thing about that?

If the 5090 makes light work if 4k just like the 4090 makes lifhtt work if the 1080p in the same way, then that's a compelling angle to think about.

It is a lot easier and less of a headache to swap out a graphics card vs swapping an entire CPU RAM MB combo. Not that I can't do it in a couple hours easy, it's just that there's more to it. No need to? The CPU has enough horsepower to no need to deal with upgrading. Don't need to deal with selling the old platform. The newer platform is not proven over years and years of refinement like the Z790 platform. Some people want what just works and works almost perfectly with no issues. Sure I can build a new PC anytime, but I just don't want to. I like squeezing the most out of what I've got.

Considering all these things. I'm looking at my 12700K and undecided.
Pm me, i have a 12900K for sale. Maybe we can come to an understanding. Its only 3 months old. I jumped on a 13900K and now have a spare chip.

I've already watched all of the tech tubers and It's exactly what I was expecting. I'm actually disappointed in Der8aur as he usually tests better and just let the motherboard rip for no reason spiking the temps.

Der8aur will make another video showing off his components that he is selling and make it positive, it's prolly all in his business plan.

Hardware unboxed are just clowns and love to jump on any bandwagon they can in the most cringe fashion they can. Pathetic of them yet again.

For gamers (which is who this chip is for) it is going to be perfect. You just turn off 8 ecores or 12 ecores and you have either a 16 core or 12 core gaming chip and of course you turn off hyperthreading and disable integrated gpu.

Power usage will be perfectly fine during gaming even if it's 150 or 200w under heavy gaming loads it's no big deal at all.

Anyone looking at this CPU should have a custom loop or a 420 AIO minimum maybe even a 360 would pull it off.

This chip is not for a 32 thread max frequency load. That's not realistically what it's for unless you have incredible cooling.

During gaming it has the same temperature as the AMD chips even if it uses 2 or 3 times the power. Who cares, that's only $30 a year in California for me. If i was worried about 100w i would not
have bought a 4090 that pulls 400 or more watt. It's all good and this chip is badass.

AMZ had it for $750 for a quick minute. Sold out. Now today, scalpers are at it.

1710513738619.png

For gamers (which is who this chip is for) it is going to be perfect.

Would be interesting to see in which game with which OC-ddr5 setup it is going to be significantly better than a simple 7800x3d that one can upgrade for a 9800x3d probably Q4 this year....

TPU is on a 420 mm AIO and very expensive movo, but still only 6000mhz DDR-5 I think, does someone tested with some 7200 or what not kit and was able to make it perform in an interesting way over the 14900k-7800x3d ?

Would be interesting to see in which game with which OC-ddr5 setup it is going to be significantly better than a simple 7800x3d that one can upgrade for a 9800x3d probably Q4 this year....

TPU is on a 420 mm AIO and very expensive movo, but still only 6000mhz DDR-5 I think, does someone tested with some 7200 or what not kit and was able to make it perform in an interesting way over the 14900k-7800x3d ?
Sup Luke,

Tech power up does this huge review of the chip with a series of amd and Intel chips in for comparison.

It personally doesn't matter to me how the chips compare but in this article they are basically identical in gaming performance overall.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-14900ks/

I have two Z790 platforms so I have no interest in AMD cpus or GPUs. I've always been more comfortable & familiar with Intel/Nvidia. Nevertheless the competition is good for pricing I suppose otherwise one or the other would get away with charging more like Nvidia 🤬 lol

Sup Luke,

Tech power up does this huge review of the chip with a series of amd and Intel chips in for comparison.

It personally doesn't matter to me how the chips compare but in this article they are basically identical in gaming performance overall.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-14900ks/

I have two Z790 platforms so I have no interest in AMD cpus or GPUs. I've always been more comfortable & familiar with Intel/Nvidia. Nevertheless the competition is good for pricing I suppose otherwise one or the other would get away with charging more like Nvidia 🤬 lol
I agree with Nvidia/Intel being comfortable. I have been using them for years with no issues. I also noticed my 14600K at 4K is just 4 FPS behind the 14900KS in those techpowerup charts..:)

Lol, I knew it.

6Ghz all core for a desktop chip and his temps were still like 70c I wanna see what the RGB version looks like.

If he turns off hyperthreading and igpu and half the e cores it would probably be like 55-65c degrees right? Even at 6GHz.

Was his cinibench benchmark the fastest score for a gaming/desktop cpu? Meaning fastest gaming and productivity cpu ever combined in one cpu?

The direct die block he is selling is 100 bucks and 140 for the RGB version, that's awesome & his delid tools look great also. Derbaurs got good stuff.

Lot of work to go from 41k to 42k cinebench...
Yea not really worth it. More for fun.
TBH I'm not entirely sure I'm going to go direct die. For gaming you get the benefits without it. Direct die would just be a fun project if one wanted to spend a day doing extreme cooling.

All bios updates have risk. I wouldn't update any bios unless it addresses an issue I'm experiencing. I have used beta bios updates.

The news here is not "beta" it's the mb mfg adding a clearly labeled setting that imposes cpu mfg "stock" settings. Hopefully. It'll be interesting if all mb mfg's follow suit, the settings are verified and we see new performance data.

Still on 12th gen, and 15th gen may not be worth buying until 16th..

I may finally be going to back to AMD with the next gen.

$650 at my local Microcenter with 5 in stock.
My 14900K has more "biscuits" than the 14900KS does according to the Aorus BIOS (like ASIC quality on NV).
The 14900K will run 192GB RAM at DDR5 5600 and the KS is stuck in training hell. Go figure.

Back