13600K HDMI audio?

jfreund

[H]ard|Gawd
My Z690 board lost its magic smoke (another story) and I put my 13600K into a Z790 board and made sure the board had HDMI before I bought it.

This system connects to a TV & receiver. I get no VRR going through the receiver, so I run the video card's HDMI to the TV and use a DP to HDMI adapter to get sound to the receiver. The catch is that the video card always prioritizes DP over HDMI. Initial video from POST to the desktop runs through DP to the receiver. If I need to get into the UEFI, I have to change TV inputs to take the video signal from the receiver, then change it back to the direct input when I'm done.

My intent with this board was to use the HDMI out from the CPU for audio and keep video signal from the video card to the TV. With the UEFI set to use the video card as primary, that should put my video out through the video card HDMI from the time I hit the power button.

When I install the Intel Arc driver, no audio driver is installed. Intel HD audio never appears in Device Manager.

Has anybody gotten HDMI sound from their Intel iGPU while also using a discrete GPU?

My Z690 board lost its magic smoke (another story) and I put my 13600K into a Z790 board and made sure the board had HDMI before I bought it.

This system connects to a TV & receiver. I get no VRR going through the receiver, so I run the video card's HDMI to the TV and use a DP to HDMI adapter to get sound to the receiver. The catch is that the video card always prioritizes DP over HDMI. Initial video from POST to the desktop runs through DP to the receiver. If I need to get into the UEFI, I have to change TV inputs to take the video signal from the receiver, then change it back to the direct input when I'm done.

My intent with this board was to use the HDMI out from the CPU for audio and keep video signal from the video card to the TV. With the UEFI set to use the video card as primary, that should put my video out through the video card HDMI from the time I hit the power button.

When I install the Intel Arc driver, no audio driver is installed. Intel HD audio never appears in Device Manager.

Has anybody gotten HDMI sound from their Intel iGPU while also using a discrete GPU?
Does your TV support ARC or eARC? (that's where you run straight to the TV---but the TV sends the audio out to the reciever, on a different cable).

*nevermind, this is to get an old reciever to accept an ARC/eARC output from a TV which has it.
If your TV does not have it, then get a shARC. They are pretty popular and seem to work very well:
https://www.thenaudio.com/product/sharc-earc-audio-converter/

the original was discontinued. Here's the new version:

https://www.thenaudio.com/product/sharc-v2-8k-earc-audio-processor/

Last edited:
Interesting. The older built-in GPU HDMI audio worked fine, even using multi-channel surround and even Atmos. I was stuck using an 8700K with no GPU for 6 weeks. It sucked for gaming, but wasn't half bad for everything else as long as you were happy with 1080p.

ARC only does stereo without paying for Atmos :(
For ARC, it was left up to the TV makers, whether or not they supported multi-channel. For eARC, its standardized.

Bummer your TV is locked to stereo, for ARC. If your TV has optical out, you could get lossy multi-channel.

Just swap the outputs on the GPU, DP to TV with adapter, HDMI to AVR. Disable iGPU in BIOS.

This might sound dumb but your 4090 doesn't have two HDMI?

EDIT: yep its dumb, I didn't realize only the Asus cards had 2.

Does the Intel audio come up in the sound settings menu? You may have to go in the BIOS and change the onboard graphics from AUTO to enabled, usually it automatically shuts off but you can turn it back on like if you wanted to use quick sync.

You can buy a device like the HDFury 8K Arcana or 8K VRROOM. It takes a single input from the GPU and splits the audio off to the AVR while retaining full 4K 120 Hz VRR to the display.

Back