12900k upgrade, some questions

So the build is done. I'm not really a pro at cable management but I would say I did okay. Thanks for all of the help with nudging me towards AMD.

You should either mount the radiator on the top of the case, or flip the radiator around so the tubes are facing down. With the tubes facing up, it'll cause any air in the system to constantly be sucked into the pump and blown back out again, creating noise and potentially cavitation that will lower the life and efficiency of the AIO.

You should either mount the radiator on the top of the case, or flip the radiator around so the tubes are facing down. With the tubes facing up, it'll cause any air in the system to constantly be sucked into the pump and blown back out again, creating noise and potentially cavitation that will lower the life and efficiency of the AIO.
Could you provide some source for this? I actually did try doing some research as to how to mount the radiator because I remembered some video mentioning it, but this is all I could find:

1647882378243.png

A few posts also said to put the radiator entrance above the pump... so that's what I did... to begin with I'm not sure if this 360mm could fit in the top slot (and I really don't want to put it there to begin with) and I'm not sure if the tubing would reach if the inlet was on the bottom so I'm not sure what to do.

Could you provide some source for this? I actually did try doing some research as to how to mount the radiator because I remembered some video mentioning it, but this is all I could find:

View attachment 455939

A few posts also said to put the radiator entrance above the pump... so that's what I did... to begin with I'm not sure if this 360mm could fit in the top slot (and I really don't want to put it there to begin with) and I'm not sure if the tubing would reach if the inlet was on the bottom so I'm not sure what to do.
You are correct. Testing was done multiple times on multiple videos. Mount the tubes up top of it’s easier, it will not make a difference with current gen aio’s. I was going to point that out when I sat the post from someone else telling op to switch the rad tube orientation, but didn’t feel like arguing.

Place it how it fits best if your radiator is vertical.

Optimal radiator location is above the pump horizontally. Do that first if you can.

Frankly, I simply have the money to go around to buy either one. I do NOT want to be limited later on in any tasks I do, such as my multiple virtual machines, or server hosting, because I decided to cheap out. So to me getting the 12900k on that front was non negotiable.

HOWEVER... you raise a good point, the 5950x is still somewhat of a contender to me... so I made a quick spec for it:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($589.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($195.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.57 @ Amazon)
Total: $1134.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-15 13:44 EDT-0400

Here is a comparable intel spec (note I forgot to put the prices in manually for the AMD spec above, you can lower the overall cost by about $140 or so for it... they're going to be very similar)
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor ($500.00)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($200.00)
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($72.00)
Total: $941.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-15 13:51 EDT-0400

My main issue with AMD, possibly, is that its motherboard choices look much sketchier at the same price range (I can't find a clear winner here), and that it might have worse gaming performance, and will be at best a sidegrade for any hosting or VM work I do. AFAIK, the Intel offering will tend to perform better in games... but I did notice on some benchmarks the 5950x (mainly on stuff like Civ 6... which is tempting, I do play some games like that) did better... if they're within spitting distance of each other, I might consider AMD. However I'm a bit worried about there being no good motherboard choices. That Intel board I linked literally has a 5* rating even on newegg at the time I'm writing this, which is almost unheard of for motherboards...

On the other hand, the AMD seems to run cooler while having more actual cores like you said, which is tempting as well.

I'm open to advice on this part.
LGA1700 is newer tech/architecture and the 12700K is almost as fast as the 12900K but a bit less power and heat.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-12700k-alder-lake-12th-gen/

The savings from going 'down' to the 12700K allows you to put that towards the other parts in the build. Just a thought. I dunno if a 5950X system is a better scenario for you but that was my analysis for the Alder Lake system. :) Either one requires a decent cooler. Ryzen might be more efficient overall, but the price/performance probably is a hair better with 12700K.

Edit: Oh, I didn't read all the way through..... Oops...

Well, I guess I have to partially lament my decisions today. Leave it to me to get blindsided by some garbage like this... (long rant post incoming)

So part of the reason I went with this motherboard (over the other ASUS TUF motherboard) was that it had an Intel wireless and wired card, and a newer one. "Intel has their stuff together in this area at least, right, and having Wifi 6 is nice, right?" I should have done my research before buying, I just honestly didn't expect a new (relatively speaking) generation ethernet adapter to have an issue this freaking stupid. And what annoys me more is that it never showed up until today, weeks after I bought it (despite me doing steam game streaming and whatnot every day), so I can't even get it exchanged at Microcenter anymore (well technically I could try, they've taken things in for exchange slightly out of date before for me before).

Yesterday, I tried starting a Minecraft server for some friends and then went to sleep. Today I woke up to a message from them saying the server only lasted for 3 hours before dying (was heavily modded, wouldn't surprise me). But no it was still up. What was down is the Intel I225-V ethernet adapter.

Turns out this I225-V is pretty much a piece of garbage.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/kppyoi/psa_asus_motherboards_with_intel_i225v_25gb_nic/

It's had issues since its inception. These issues were supposedly fixed in Revision 3 (which I have). Except they weren't.

1649507521175.png

This is just a warning event that another reddit thread noted. That's not actually what happens when this thing dies. Forget just disconnecting or restarting or something. Nope, this thing just outright DIES, until you fully restart the computer. I can't disable and enable it, I can't mess with its drivers, I literally can't do anything to it without a full reboot.

I can try rolling back to earlier drivers, except how? Intel only has the latest ones listed. I tried finding older driver (from last year or so) from ASUS, but that warning message still pops up after installing it.

So no idea where to go from here. At least I can fall back to wireless (which on wifi 6 should be just as fast as my wired) by connecting them both simultaneously, and hopefully it automatically switches over when it dies. My options are basically... 1 try to go take it back to Microcenter to get an exchange for a Realtek board... 2 RMA to ASUS (lol time to lose my PC for months for an ethernet card)... 3 buy another ethernet card (and waste a PCIE slot so I get worse cooling near the GPU, yay).

I'm just really pissed about this, sucks to have everything working and you're all happy and then some damn network card issue (that worse has been around for LITERAL YEARS AND THEY HAVEN'T FIXED IT). This might be the last time I actually look for an intel connectivity device on any of my computers.

Well end rant, I wish I didn't type this fast lol.

Nope, connecting wireless simultaneously doesn't help. Apparently when it goes down this piece of garbage literally kills all connectivity, regardless of adapter. Conclusion: Intel is garbage at wired chips.

Back