12.1 too small?

sniprfiend

[H]ard|Gawd
Like many of the people here I am getting a laptop for school, and I am wondering if the 12.1 is going to be too small to work on for any extended period of time.

I think I'd be sold on it if I could get a nice 17'' LCD + the laptop for the same price as a 14.1'' lappy... fat chance though.

Since it is for school, I would say that it is good to go with. They are lighter and smaller which makes it much easier to carry around. You do lose desktop space, but it isn't too big of a deal for school work.

Yeps. I got the 12" Powerbook for school, and I love it. The main reason why I like it is not because of the small screen, but because it is not killing my back when I put it inside my backpack. Also, you can purchase these cool looking sleeve things for them. Keeps it from being scratched and everything.

Which laptop are you looking at?

This 14" laptop I have now is great. If only I didn't depend on it to play games and watch dvds....I'd have definitely gone for a 12" laptop.

This 600m i have now wont be so good for gaming (isnt right now really) in a few months. I wish I had gone for a 300m or something like that...Probably would have found one with a cdrom though.....cdrw/dvd combo drive. But it would have probably been a better deal for me and school. It really is more of a glorified mp3 player right now. Too bad im down to 5gb on this 30gb HD.

So if it is just for school work. Get a 12" or even a tablet pc.

edit: the smaller you go, the more expensive it is to round out specs.

I've ran a 12.1" for half a year now...it's certainly better looking at a 12.1" 1024x768 than it is my dad's 14" 1024x768!

you'll be fine with it...at work my eyes are 3' away from the LCD, and I have no problem reading the text.

I'm the only one around here that I know of that prefers a 12.1" LCD to a 17" CRT.

Basically look at IBM Xseries vs Tseries.

Any other good 12.1's out there?

BAttery life is key, school work and DVDs 99% of the time, i dont play games.

Yes, can't play much games, but you can do hella work with it, and can even carry it anywhere you go without hurting yourself.

I think for laptops it is best to go small. Then when you are home, transfer it via network to your desktop and work on it there. That is what I am doing.

As for battery life, that is one major key. For the Powerbook, it is only 3.5 hours with Airport Extreme On, Brightness almost all the way, and multi-tasking. I am sure that you will find other ones that have better battery life, but don't go by the manufacturer's suggested battery life, ask folks that has the SAME exact model. Apple advertise 6 hours, haha, yeah right, liars!!

I have a thinkpad with a 13.3 running 1024 and it works good for pretty much everthing.

>>
As for battery life, that is one major key. For the Powerbook, it is only 3.5 hours with Airport Extreme On, Brightness almost all the way, and multi-tasking. I am sure that you will find other ones that have better battery life, but don't go by the manufacturer's suggested battery life, ask folks that has the SAME exact model. Apple advertise 6 hours, haha, yeah right, liars!!
<<

Well only thing left to help drain the battery, make sure the optical drive has a nice workout. In general all makers quote best case performance...brand new battery, cpu at lowest speed, optical drive not in use, screen min brightness, small amount of ram, min hd usage etc... The rule of thumb was to divided any claimed rate by two to get typical expected performance. You can get a bit more if willing to compromise...turn the brightness down etc.

Back