Worklog: Project Zelda

Ice-Man

Weaksauce
All i got 2 say i love FL never gets below 60's in the day & no snow.

Updates Updates Updates pleeeeease!

I wanna see more of this thing! Looks like it'll be great when it's done! I never fully played any of the Zelda's, but the GB version and Ocarina of Time were great from what I played.

Unfortuantly since the [h] had their cutbacks, i lost a lot of this work log, If you're viewing this thread for the first time, take a look at the full log here:
http://www.drxandy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15

ganondorf.gif

GANONDORF, WHEN LINK DEFEATS PHANTOM GANON:
Hey kid, you did quite well... It looks like you may be gaining some slight skill... But you have defeated only my phantom... When you fight the real me, it won't be so easy! What a worthless creation that ghost was! I will banish it to the gap between dimensions!!

SARIA, IN CHAMBER OF SAGES:
Thank you... Because of you, I could awaken as a Sage...
I am Saria. The Sage of the Forest Temple...
I always believed that you would come. Because I know you...
No... You don't have to explain it to me... Because it is destiny that you and I can't live in the same world. I will stay here as the Forest Sage and help you... Now, please take this Medallion...
(You received the Forest Medallion! Saria awakens as a Sage and adds her power to yours!)
-----------------------------------------------------

Alright, time for a small update - its been too long not to do one

I just got a new mouse, an Microsoft Intelli-Mouse Optical. I chose it for the price, back/forward buttons, and modability, beige is nice to work with. I plugged it in for about 5 minutes to test, and then it was immediately taken apart haha.

064.jpg

I'm probally going to swap the leds out with a different color, but the shell is what i've been thinking most of.

I have two color combos in mind, so i photochopped up examples

mous1.jpg

Black with green

mous2.jpg

green with black

What do you guys think would look better?
Also, anyone know of a good place to get stickers/decals on the web? I only need a few done, one being for the triforce i chopped onto the mouse, and a few other case related.

another reason for the stickers/decals would be for the underside of the mouse

mous3.jpg

like a life meter :D, with just the white part, the red part of the heart would be clear, so you could see the red underneath.

*thumbs up*
thats all I have for this update, unfortunatly
but eh, it's better than nothing haha

Great mod so far :) keep the pics coming!

I loved the wind waker, one of my fav games ever!

For the mouse... go green with black, then make the triforce MUCH bigger, because the amount of green on the mouse is still a big overwhelming.

Thanks guys!
what about places to get stickers/decals made?
anyone?

not bad, i shot them an email, hope that they'll work out
thanks alot man!

Very nice project so far. :D I'm going to have to bookmark this thread, because I definatly want to come back and check more of it out. ;)

Black with green, I like this thread a lot being a gamer myself and following it from the beginning. I may want to do a Starcraft case or something along those lines sometime down the road.

I'm currently in the process of building a new case myself... I just purchased the components for it (some cheap plastic... :p) Well see what I can dream up for this one. :)

I finished the mouse, minus the sticker/decal
still looking for a place that will create them... ugh

i'll post an update with mousey pics asap

Do go into detail, I have that exact same mouse and I've been thinking about painting it, but I've been afraid that the feet won't stick back on right. Also, do you know anywhere that I could fabricate a replacement bottom for it out of some acryllic or another? I'd like to swap out the LEDs, but the red plastic makes it worthless.

Wow, this case is coming along great, keep it going man. I love the Zelda series, the case is awesome. :D

Originally posted by DRxAndy
I finished the mouse, minus the sticker/decal
still looking for a place that will create them... ugh

i'll post an update with mousey pics asap

Make your own decal, or pick up a small can of yellow paint and paint the decal on. :)

dekutreesprout.gif

DEKU TREE SPROUT:
Hi there! I'm the Deku Tree sprout! Because you and Saria broke the curse on the Forest Temple, I can grow and flourish! Thanks a lot! Hey, have you seen your old friends? None of them recognized you with your grown-up body, did they? That's because the Kokiri never grow up! Even after seven years, they're still kids!
You must be wondering why only you have grown up! Well, as you might have already guessed, you are not a Kokiri! You are actually a Hylian! I am happy to finally reveal this secret to you!
(cut scene)
Some time ago, before the King of Hyrule unified this country, there was a fierce war in our world. One day, to escape from the fires of the war, a Hylian mother and her baby boy entered this forbidden forest. The mother was gravely injured... Her only choice was to entrust the child to the Deku Tree, the guardian spirit of the forest. The Deku Tree could sense that this was a child of destiny, whose fate would affect the entire world, so he took him into the forest. After the mother passed away, the baby was raised as a Kokiri. And now, finally, the day of destiny has come!
(end cut scene)
You are a Hylian, and were always bound to leave this forest.
And now...
You have learned your own destiny... So you know what you must do...
That's right...
You must save the land of Hyrule!

--------------------------------------------------------

Update time :D
Alright, so i worked on the mouse a bit the other day, and i think it turned out really nice, but more on that later.

Taking apart this microsoft mouse wasnt hard, but took me a second to make sure i didnt break anything.

065.jpg

The back/forward web buttons are easy to take off, as seen colored with green arrows in the image above, all you do is pop them out. The main clickers and scroll area was a bit touchier, labeled with red arrows, because the 3 clips are somewhat hard to get off. I found that pushing them outward and pulling up on the main part one at a time was the easiest way to get it off.

Now for the painting... oh was it fun
haha
the temprature around here at any given time is usually under 20 degrees F (right now it's 9 and thats not including windchill), and snow comes down randomly day per day. Earlier this week there was a really nice day, snow was on the ground, but the sun was out, and no snow was falling. So i took advantage of this :D
I decided to go with the main part being green, as it fit the case more (sorry you black over green fans hehe)

066.jpg

I first brought out the side clickers and the scroll wheel area, and set them up on my antec box, ontop another smaller box, and vinyl dyed. Quickly i rushed in... which was a mistake haha
i ended up tripping and dropping the scroll part and one of the clickers. After several angry words, cleaning and wiping down the dirty/smudged parts and having to toss my sweatshirt in the wash due to paint (luckily it didnt stain), i went back to business and fusioned the main section. I went back and gave the black parts another dying, and waited a couple hours to inspect - and I liked what i saw :D

The black vinyl dye was too flat to go with the gloss of the fusion, so i decided i'd tryst giving it a good coat of regular gloss krylon, and hope for the best.

A day later, I was anxious to put it together, so i did :D
here are the final results:

067.jpg

068.jpg

the blue from my media computer throws off the color of the second picture, but the first is an accurate reprentation of it.

I hope to find a source for the decals/stickers soon (i'd concider doing it myself, but my color printer isnt that great and painting something on makes me a little wary), and get them made so i can add them on. When I do, of course i'll post pic's

I think i'll end this update with one final picture.
Sort of a teaser, and this wont be the lighting scheme, buuuut...

069.jpg

I will be using this heatsink (thermalright slk 800a) / the fangrill in the zelda case, but not sure about the fan - its a neon translucent green el cheapo. This is in my current case now hehe

hope to have another update soon, but thats all for now

Your work so far has been amazing. I like the theme, too.

Thanks for posting the mouse pics. I'm getting the exact mouse in a few days, and I want to paint it black where it is originally beigh.

If it's alright with you, may I PM or e-mail you to ask for some pointers?

wow, just browsed through all 11 pages. That's pretty awesome. You're really putting the time into all the little details that most of us just shrug off. Excellent work.

Originally posted by maxelhombre
wow, just browsed through all 11 pages. That's pretty awesome. You're really putting the time into all the little details that most of us just shrug off. Excellent work.

Hehe... :p That's what I was thinking. ;)

i absolutely love all the quotes and pictures that you have from ocerena of time. i havnt played the game in 5 years or whenever it was the game came out, and seeing all of those brought back a sudden rush of memories. it was sucha great game. such a great series.

oooo btw, computer looks cool too :D

mini update
heh, this doesnt even really qualify as an update, but meh

i've been working on modding a gamecube to go along (but not inside) with this case, so far i've changed the led and changed the region to japan (i'm having problems soldering on a switch, i blame it on too large of a gauge of wire.. grrr i need to buy more)

i've tried several ways and eventually accidentally soldered off the bridge for the us setting, so i bridged the jpn gap with some solder, so i could try out the japanese copy of windwaker i got

works great, haha, but i need to get the switch soldered properly

pics will be up for it once i complete more of it
hehe

alright, since you are taking so long and making us wait I demand you let the cat out of the bag and post pictures of everything you have ;)

nice job on the mouse...any worries about the painting eventually rubbing off from your sweaty palm? ;)

I must ask you first off...Did you draw that picture of the Duku Tree Sprout yourself?

And by far you have won the Geekiest Member Award. You actually QUOTED the ENTIRE conversations from the game. DONT YOU HAVE ANYTIHNG BETTER TO DO?

Im sorry...I had to say that.

Originally posted by Falcon0r
I must ask you first off...Did you draw that picture of the Duku Tree Sprout yourself?

And by far you have won the Geekiest Member Award. You actually QUOTED the ENTIRE conversations from the game. DONT YOU HAVE ANYTIHNG BETTER TO DO?

Well, as a matter of fact, I think he's actually working on the case... :p

Speaking of that, I should get busy on mine. @__@

Hey Andy, where did you get that rivet gun from? and what kind of rivets does it use, plastic or some kind of metal?

Originally posted by skawttieboy

nice job on the mouse...any worries about the painting eventually rubbing off from your sweaty palm?
nah im not too worried, fusion has treated me pretty good in the past, and i can alway give it another coat if need be later on

Originally posted by Falcon0r

nah i didnt draw it, i googled it up and then colored it with photoshop, it was just a pencil sketch someone did

QUOTING CONVERSATIONS IS AS FUN AS CAPSLOCK :D
but seriously hehe, i'm not that nerdy that i'll sit through the game and get this info to relay back for an update, someone else did it from www.zeldalegends.com and i'm copying and pasting from a huge txt file of all of the dialog. I planned to give all credit due in the final update of the log

Originally posted by [kin]phrak!
Hey Andy, where did you get that rivet gun from? and what kind of rivets does it use, plastic or some kind of metal?
i got the riveter from harbor freight tools, it uses metal rivets

This may be one of the first work logs that i have actually read, cover to cover... partly because i'm starting to think about a case mod for an upcoming game... but also because like you seem to be, I am a HUGE Zelda fan...

btw, i recommend somehow incorporating the GIANT BLUE BLOBS OF DEATH!!!! from Link for NES... one of those would look awesome on like a driver cover or something (though maybe not with the green paint job... idk... just an idea)

Anyway, great work, and i'm sure i'll be picking your mind at somepoint for how to do some of this stuff ;)

I found a link to all the Zelda music off of Google. It would be cool if when you open your CD-ROM drive it makes the "magical recorder" sound, and when you close it the "discovery" sound. You could have all sorts of fun with it and your different components.

Zelda Music

Ignore me if you think its lame...:rolleyes: :p

Back