What did I break? Monitor sits idol after smoke..

infin|ty

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I got kind of a problem. I was sleeving my wires the other day and I accidently put one of the molexes upside down so all 4 wires were switched around and thats what my cd/dvd rom was in and it started to smoke so i turned it off right away. I fixed the molex and turned it back on and it started and would post. It went to the screen that shows my cpu speed and my hardrives and my ide cable connections and it stopped at IDE. It said something to the nature of "Searching for IDE connection" er something. So I turned it off in the front by holding the button down. I made sure they were in and locked, they were. I started again and same thing happened. I again turned it off from the front and came to the conclution that my cd/dvd rom was fryed. I took a cd/dvd rom from my other computer to test and see if that really was it. When I put that rom in and turne don the computer nothing happened. The screen sat idol w/ its lil orange idol light on, screen just all black. So right then I got kinda scared.. its strange that it wouldnt do anything.

So I totally tried to forget about that lol and I bought a new rom and a burned b/c it was on sale. They came today and I put them in and screen sat idol again.. just like it would if u had just plugged ur monitor just into the wall and not into the computer at all. I reset the cmos and made sure the monitor plugs were in good and everything seem good. I tried switching some powercables but still nothing.

I dont have any idea how i could of fried something when the computer WAS starting and I hadent done anything to it. Iv gone through all the bs of mobo fries/cpu/ and now dvd/cd rom and its just pissent the hell out of me and I dont have what is wrong!!!

What should I do, please help!

Thanks Infin

lmao I actually was playing in this cabinit and there was a anti static bag and I opened it and there was a Maxto IDE PCI thingy. I just put it in and when I set it up it beeps 5 times really fast.

So confused;(

on some moniters when it sits idle there is an exit button on the panel and that usually fixes it for me by the way i use samsung syncmaster 191t

Have you tried clearing the CMOS and see if that helps?

Thanks for the input..Iv tried reseting the cmos twice, nothing.

Yeah I guess we'll see w/ the new mobo

Damn, that sucks man. How did you manage to get the molex inserted upside down?

well when you sleeve the wires you need to take off the pastic things so when I put the plastic thing back on I just put it upside down and that reversed all the wires..:rolleyes:

Back