Voodoo5 6k Water Cooled

H-street

Supreme [H]ardness
Incidentally, I love the, "Why are you doing this when the amount of power you'll be spending won't come close to what the card requires?" question....Ummm, cuz he's [H]ard?

That is incredibly well done, and looks really badass. Totally pointless, but really badass :D

I know he is trying to get the world record for v5 6k performance. In his other thread I believe he got one of the highest clocks at 203 or something like that

that thing is badass! 8 whole pounds of badass! I wish I could mill something like that. The machine that he uses is only about $600. Maybe I can talk the wife into in...

What's hilarious is that his booting test doesn't have any water running through the block :p

What amazes me moreso than this cool mod is what people will do for something that is rare. Here we have a GPU that gets spanked by the GeForce 3, doesn't have hardware T&L, and would sell for about $10 shipped based purely on performance (on a good day), and people are going crazy over it making a custom WB. I mean kudos for being the first quad GPU and the only quad GPU on a single PCB, but IDK, isn't this a bit much? I got into computer hardware some time around 2004 so I don't have the nostalgia, maybe that's why.

absolutely ridonculous.
but i like it.

btw, that card had nothing going for it, which is why it never went to market and 3dfx closed shop a few months later. the car battery looking power adaptor was especially freakish and not the norm in 2000. I believe the card was also set to be around $600, which was also not the norm in 99-2000.

do remember this card can only do 16-bit color.
this card is what finally killed 3dfx as a company. well, part of it anyway. 3dfx was a very poorly managed company.

absolutely ridonculous.
but i like it.

btw, that card had nothing going for it, which is why it never went to market and 3dfx closed shop a few months later. the car battery looking power adaptor was especially freakish and not the norm in 2000. I believe the card was also set to be around $600, which was also not the norm in 99-2000.

this card is what finally killed 3dfx as a company. well, part of it anyway. 3dfx was a very poorly managed company.

Even so, I will still always remember.... OH WAIT, I still have it ;)

My P3 667 with 1.5GB ram and my 3dfx 4000, love it! :) Great box for older games.

That is friggin' AWESOME! Makes me almost miss my Voodoo2 and Pentium 200. Almost. :p

Certainly makes me miss my old voodoo2 12mb and k6-3d 300. LOTS of fun was had playing Quake2 mods on that system.

I still hope that someday, software will come out that will properly emulate an old win95/98 machine with a glide-enabled GPU. I have no idea what kind of hardware will be required to do this properly. I remember reading they needed a 3GHz cpu to properly emulate a SNES.

Hello,

Today I make Quake 3 Benchmark with my Voodoo5 6000 Watercooling Legend Edition card at different frequencies.

Here are the results...

Picture:

275940V5k6LegendTest.jpg

Video:

http://youtu.be/bn7sQCIb00U

Any Reactions?

Very cool but only for shits and giggles. It nets absolutely nothing.

isn't that what pretty much all computer gaming hardware is for? :)

awesome job trevor :)

Watched the video... loving it. miss the 3dfx days :)

Last edited:
That's pretty [H]ard-core enthusiasm right there.

Nice to know people with machining skills.:D

Nice. I think I might even still have mine laying around in a bin...

I think I finally stopped using it in spare rigs when the driver support was dropping off. Man those were the days. Unreal totally smoked on these things!

Holy shit those Deltas are loud haha, haven't heard any in a while. Nicely done.

Just curious but what is driver support like for those cards now?

absolutely ridonculous.
but i like it.

Actually Voodoo4/5 could do 32bit. I LOVED 3dfx back in the day :/ I had several voodoo cards including a Voodoo5 5500. They had by far the best anti-aliasing back then, unmatched IMHO until ati 9700 pro.

Non-existent would be my guess since 3DFX no longer exists. :p
Yes I know, I've been on this site since well before the V5 6k was around ;) For a while there was some independent driver hackery going on, not sure what people managed to accomplish and get working :)

Actually Voodoo4/5 could do 32bit. I LOVED 3dfx back in the day :/ I had several voodoo cards including a Voodoo5 5500. They had by far the best anti-aliasing back then, unmatched IMHO until ati 9700 pro.

What's the difference? Not like you could use AA at all back then because you would get 2 fps

To humor me, I know how fast these cards were "back in the days," but compared to today's cards, what are their equivalent versions in terms of graphical power?

Intel GMA 3000 series? 2000 series?

Nvidia 200-series?

AMD Radeon 4200 series?

way weaker than all of those. the Geforce 210 (the lowest of the low) is roughly 5x more powerful than a voodoo 5 6000.

To humor me, I know how fast these cards were "back in the days," but compared to today's cards, what are their equivalent versions in terms of graphical power?

Intel GMA 3000 series? 2000 series?

Nvidia 200-series?

AMD Radeon 4200 series?
GMA 3000 or X3000 according to Tom's Charts (assuming it was somewhere between a Geforce 2 Ultra and a Geforce 3).

Back