Two eVGA cards bad within 3 days! Warranty still good?

So, my two sons both have eVGA cards in their PCs. On Sunday one of my sons came down and told me that he thought his video card was bad. Sure enough, his 8800 GTS 640MB had verticle red/blue lines and symbol character screen dump during POST. It would only boot into Windows in 4 bit color (yes 4) at what looks like something around 320x200.

Then, this afternoon (3 days later) my older son's 8800GTX started with the same artifact issues. However, the 8800GTX will boot into normal windows resolution (with artifacts everywhere). So, both the 8800 GTS and GTX will boot, but there are screen artifacts even during POST and both cards drop a lot of symbols and other code on the screen during the POST. My first thought was an Nvidia driver update. However, I checked and no driver updates had been done (neither of them have admin privs anyway) and I also checked Windows update and nothing there either.

Both GPUs were puchased in 2007 a few months apart. Total cost was about $1000 for both cards. Both of these cards were purchased from Newegg.com with an eVGA lifetime warranty (-AR models). I specifically went with the -AR models due to the warranty and with eVGA instead of BFG or XFX because of the excellent reputation for customer service I read about on their forums.

Unfortunately, I do not think either of my boys remembered to register them online. It is my sincere hope that eVGA will honor it. I still have one of the boxes and I can find nothing inside the box back in 2007 that stated they had to register to get the lifetime warranty.

Here are the models:

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB Purchased 01/28/2007
EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB Purchased 07/31/2007

I still have the original invoices in my name and the street address on the invoice matches the account I created back then to ask questions about the cards on the eVGA forums. Has anyone else had good experiences with eVGA in a similar situation?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I RMA'd about 6 different 8800 GT/GTS/GTX and I don't recall any manufacturers requiring the 30-day registrations back then. Not sure about EVGA, but I'm positive PNY and BFG did not.

Best bet is probably to call/email them and see what they say.

Products purchased ON or AFTER November 1, 2006 MUST be registered within 30 days of the ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE to receive EVGA's Free Extended Warranty. All products not registered within 30 days will ONLY receive a 1 year limited warranty. Refer to the following suffix guide to identify the length of your warranty:
Limited Lifetime: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX

So technically, no, you only got a one year warranty on those cards which is long expired. You can attempt to register and rma, but don't hold your breath. I've been denied an rma with both EVGA and XFX for this reason.

Edit: That info came from EVGA's warranty page.

Try that first.. if they say no you can try the oven trick to fix the cards. Search for oven trick.

Oven them for sure, you'll probably have good luck with it.

Well, eVGA came through for me! They are going to replace both cards under warranty as a 1 time courtesy. I am beyond pleased with the service and will definitely buy eVGA for all of my Nvidia cards. I also do a lot of builds for customers and having this kind of lifetime warranty is good. So will be purchasing for my company to resale as well.

I will update and post again when the RMA process is complete and the cards received.

Thanks for the feedback and help!

Good to hear. I'm a big fan of EVGA and will usually spend the extra money if I have to on there products. Nothing but good things from that company.

I would expect that you probably will end up with 260GTX or maybe even GTX460s in replacement of those cards. Even the 460 is stronger than the 8800GTX.

I also buy EVGA for this very reason... the customer service is worth the couple of extra bucks it sometimes costs to go EVGA..

EVGA rep if you are reading this, Kudos! Its CS that can make or break a company.

Yeah, I've been extremely impressed whenever I have had to contact evga customer service. I won't bother to recount all of the stories I have, but the short of it is that they are great. It's just a shame that evga doesn't produce amd video cards.

I would expect that you probably will end up with 260GTX or maybe even GTX460s in replacement of those cards. Even the 460 is stronger than the 8800GTX.

I also buy EVGA for this very reason... the customer service is worth the couple of extra bucks it sometimes costs to go EVGA..

EVGA rep if you are reading this, Kudos! Its CS that can make or break a company.

What he said. EVGA is usually good to ya.

They have made a believer out of me for sure. Great customer service like this is very important. I started the RMA approval process so I would expect to send the cards off tomorrow or Thursday. They said 1-2 business days before I can ship which is fine. I like how well their online process works. It is very easy for the end-user.

Last edited:
well done EVGA but ffs why people don't bother with a simple 5 minute registration is just beyond me.

The only gripe i have ever had with EVGA is when I bought my last card from them (GTX580) and it was within the promotional period for the free 3DMark11 with purchase of 560ti or higher. I registered the card, uploaded the receipt and never heard anything from them.

It wasnt a huge deal really, but I know that they are going to take care of me if something breaks. :D

Please update us with what you get in return, about to RMA a 8800gt.

Get copies of your invoices in PDF format, and try to RMA them. I RMA'd my old 8800GT and got a 260GTX in return. No promises, but they seem to be pretty lenient.

I just got a my replacement Evga card. I had registered my card, and I was most pleased.

I was able to succesfully RMA an unregistered card but it was purchased before 2006. Good job EVGA.

All G80's will eventually fail. Same problem as the XBOX 360.

Just got the RMA approval this afternoon so will be shipping them out tomorrow! I will update when we get them back (probably sometime next week).

Just got the RMA approval this afternoon so will be shipping them out tomorrow! I will update when we get them back (probably sometime next week).

any update? would really like to know what they are sending you as a replacment.

Glad to see Evga coming through for you, I had to jump through circus rings of fire to get them to honor my warranty. I registered on time, but at that time they didn't require invoice so of course years later it's misplaced and they require it.

@Omek: Yeah, me too. :) We didn't get the cards shipped until early this week (had to find some suitable packaging). So, we shipped them off and should receive replacements soon. I will post here when we get them for sure.

@sai_dee and Ruoh: Yes, I'm very happy with eVGA's customer service.

Update: Looks like the RMA replacement cards are shipping. Here is what eVGA is sending us. I will post again once we receive and get them installed.

For the 8800 GTS 640:
EVGA 01G-P3-1352-KR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

For the 8800 GTX 768:
EVGA FPB (Free Performance Boost) 768-P3-1360-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Yes, I am very happy with eVGA to say the least. My two boys are excited to get their new cards. They have been driving us nuts without their PCs.

I didn't mention this here or to eVGA previously because I wanted to see what the end result would be. I own an IT consulting business and I do sell quite a bit of hardware. We are definitely putting eVGA products in our custom builds after this experience. It's nice to see a company stand behind their warranty and they were very pleasant to deal with the entire way through.

OK, so both cards arrived yesterday. Installed both, did a clean install of latest drivers and so far the cards are working great! Again, thanks go out to eVGA for the great customer support and warranty service. I greatly appreciate it!

Awesome to see another success story.
I rma'ed my dead evga 9800GX2 last fall and got this GTX470SC+ as a replacement.

Sent my wifes 8800gt in a few days ago, they got the package today! cant wait to see what I am sent. Even if it is a referb 8800gt I will be happy... the card was bought in 2007.

So these are the two kids who sent me money via paypal to tell them how to crash their cards so the old man had to get them new ones? heh!

At least now I know what to do with my evga 8800 ultra. Well nah, it works perfectly and it's kind of nostalgic.

Just ordered an EVGA GTX560ti 2gb for my secondary box (read: guests and kiddies play here!). Good to know they treat you right.

I tried RMAing a card that i didnot register in time, but i eventually did and still have the invoice, so far they flatout rejected me (8800gtx purches on newegg for $559) Ive appealed with EVGA_JacobF to see if there is something they can do... Any pointers to help me with?

Back