This is the first time in almost two decades I have no plans of upgrading my GPU

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
Bought a 2080Ti back in early 2019, skipped the last generation, usually upgrade every (or every other) generation, this is the first time in a long time I feel no urge to upgrade. I just finished a new 7900x build, but my GPU will stick around for a while.

As you can tell, I bought a 2080Ti so I am usually a higher-end buyer. I put this one square at the feet of Nvidia and AMD for not delivering a product that I want to buy.

Good to know.

I'm on a 1660, will probably get the 4060ti 12gb, and be done for a bit.

I'm on a rx580, so unfortunately I'm currently waiting for prices to relax a little more... Almost bit on a 10gb 6700, but still waiting

I am on a 3080 and am good for a while.I really do not have a good reason to upgrade anyway because I mostly play older games. We will see how demanding CS2 is but I doubt I will need a new GPU for that.

Yeah, same boat for me. Have a 3080 and not feeling compelled to upgrade. Usually I'm a sucker for hype, but the pricing and lack of software really dependent on a next gen gpu, dampened my hype.

A little concerned about vram capacity. I'm thinking if there's anything that will make me upgrade, it's only having 10gb.

I'm skipping the 4000 series but I'll likely get a 5000 series in a few years. I need more VRAM but I also want a GPU that can do AV1 encoding.

Hoping for 24GB. Not sure if I'm gonna upgrade my processor though. My 5950X still works amazing for my workload.

Unfortunately, with the AI boom, prices will stay elevated for a while... If its not miners ramping up demand, it will be AI.

Waiting for AI ASIC competitors, like Tenstorrent, to distribute the market a bit and drive pricing down.

Depending on what resolution you're gaming at, it might not even matter. If you're at 1080p, you can probably still max most games out and pull 60fps.

Yeah, the value is just not there, unless you want DLSS or RT.

I went from a GTX 1080 to RTX 3060 because I needed HDMI 2.1 (LG OLED), and despise the cost, $390 in 12/22.

I always lived in that $250-300 value range, which now seems gone forever. Inflation plays a roll, but if you consider that the top GPU 10 years ago was $699, that's over %100 inflation.

I don't think inflation can be the only factor. The mining craze allowed the manufacturers and retailers to charge 2x and 3x an already exhorbitent MSRP, and we have to reign them back in.

I always lived in that $250-300 value range, which now seems gone forever.
That was maybe a crypto moment, the announced 4060 launch at $300, much cheaper than the $350 that the 2060 launched at in 2018 without even counting inflation, the 7600 is right now have rebate deal at $243.

The 1060FE was $300 like the 4060, but in 2016 money ($380 now), the very high price they had in mind does not seem to stick

R9 290X -> 1080 (super cheap upgrade during the crypto craze on ATi GPUs) -> 3060 Ti

May look into an FE-sized 4070 for the right price (want to keep it at 2 slots + 270mm max)

Bought a 2080Ti back in early 2019, skipped the last generation, usually upgrade every (or every other) generation, this is the first time in a long time I feel no urge to upgrade. I just finished a new 7900x build, but my GPU will stick around for a while.

As you can tell, I bought a 2080Ti so I am usually a higher-end buyer. I put this one square at the feet of Nvidia and AMD for not delivering a product that I want to buy.
For me, Personally: once we hit 1080p, that's 'good enough' for game graphics. IMO, art/assets for games haven't really benefitted from 4k or even 1440p. I actually 'downgraded' my monitor from 1440p, to 1080p.

We may be starting to turn a corner on that, where games have enough fine details, to really use the extra resolution. But.....I also no longer care nearly as much about gaming. And then you look at the price tags of GPUs which can comfortably run those finely detailed games, at 4K....1080p is still 'good enough', for me ;)

i got my RX 6800 cause of a new build and my old card was a RX580 8G, and market was tight with shortages, but i really have no reason either for anything new. I do however hate the AMD buy with HDMI outputs flashing the monitor that has been around since the 5 series cards, that is the only thing that might make me switch to NVIDIA right now cause their drivers wont fix it.

I buy a new card now and I dont even think about upgrading for at least 3 to 4 years now. CPUs it now up to 8 years between upgrades. Phones I'm a 6 year cycle guy.

20 years ago it was every 6 months...

I dunno, the 7900XTX at $899 seems like a pretty good deal and would be a massive increase in performance over your 2080ti.

I’m aware but parting with $900 for a still overpriced card and not get all the bells and whistles like RT and DLSS would be hard. I do have a 4k/144Hz display so I plan on upgrading eventually. Maybe if a game comes out I really want (Starfield) that really needs it.

I'll stick with being a generation behind. Use other people's FOMO to my benefit. When a new card comes out, everyone rushing to get the latest and greatest 5000series card, I'll get a 4090.

Yeah. Lately here I am with my RTX 4090 playing games on my SuperGrafx and Super Nintendo consoles via capture card in an OBS window.

I'd love to jump up to a 3090 (Ti) from my 2080ti, but $700+ is a lot of money for a used card and only so I can more easily play with local ML models. For gaming, the 2080ti is still completely fine at this point. I've played a number of new AAA games over the past year and it hasn't struggled in giving a good experience in any of them (plus most of those games were garbage besides).

I initially got burned by that space invaders memory issue but, after RMA, the 2080ti has proved to be one of my better long-term PC hardware purchases.

Last high-end card I purchased when it was released was the 1080Ti and I ran it as far as it can go with my gaming @ 1440. 10 months ago I bought my current 3080 12gb, which will be my last Nvidia card. My best friend jumped ship and bought a 7900XTX upgrading from a 3080 12gb card. I'll be following suit.

I think if you're satisfied with what you have, you don't move. Cards like the 1080Ti/2080Ti are quite competitive today.

So, IMHO, for most, those upgrading had "lesser" cards (likely) to begin with. There might be cases for features and power efficiency, but for many, they're happy with what they have. Crypto really messed with the heads at Nvidia and AMD.

For years now I've been swapping into the latest card model and paying the difference each time. When it comes to mobo/CPU I don't really like to be an early adopter though -- and it's just unnecessary for gaming at 4K+.

I think Nvidia will need some killer apps if they want to motivate more gamers to buy into their next gen cards this time around. Maybe the new round of UE5 games will deliver this. A new Tomb Raider game, among other things, would be cool.

For me, Personally: once we hit 1080p, that's 'good enough' for game graphics. IMO, art/assets for games haven't really benefitted from 4k or even 1440p. I actually 'downgraded' my monitor from 1440p, to 1080p.
Like my mix of 1920x1200 (24") and 1600x1200 (20") monitors
I realize that DPI scaling is much improved in Win8+, but still prefer not having to use it since some program, somewhere inevitably doesn't play ball with the Windows text scaling setting

New games are shit, anyway, so it worked out nicely.

I hadnt played any new AAA games for a while (several years). I was shocked when my other half bought me a game to redeem 18 months ago.

I had to install two game loaders.
I had to setup two accounts.
I had to install a 2FA app on my phone.
I had to buy a larger Gaming SSD.
I had to download a 80GB game.
I had to download a 30GB update.
I then by the time that was done update the game loaders and log in again.
I had to download another 2GB update.
I gave up.

How did you guys let it all get so bad by buying into this shit?

I hadnt played any new AAA games for a while (several years). I was shocked when my other half bought me a game to redeem 18 months ago.

I had to install two game loaders.
I had to setup two accounts.
I had to install a 2FA app on my phone.
I had to buy a larger Gaming SSD.
I had to download a 80GB game.
I had to download a 30GB update.
I then by the time that was done update the game loaders and log in again.
I had to download another 2GB update.
I gave up.

How did you guys let it all get so bad by buying into this shit?
What game? Lol

Eh. I just had trigger finger surgery last week so my days of button mashing are over.

Hopefully Starfield will be good and justify a GPU upgrade. I’m just not willing to shell out $1600 for a GPU then $50+ for AAA titles just to find they all have precompilation stutter and run like shit.

I’d be missing ray training but that’s a fantastic price and more in line with what I am looking to spend. I just reserved it at MicroCenter so I have a few days to decide.

Is RayTracing with the extra $850? :ROFLMAO:

I’d be missing ray training but that’s a fantastic price and more in line with what I am looking to spend. I just reserved it at MicroCenter so I have a few days to decide.

Is RayTracing with the extra $850? :ROFLMAO:
No. The 7900 XTX is a fantastic card and perfect for someone like you - you want the bump but don't really need it. You will get the crazy raster you need and RT will still work decently (above your RTX 2080 Ti - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx/34.html).

Sell the RTX 2080 Ti (looks like you can net around $250) and the upgrade will be even cheaper. :)

1687632765431.png

I buy a new card now and I dont even think about upgrading for at least 3 to 4 years now. CPUs it now up to 8 years between upgrades. Phones I'm a 6 year cycle guy.

20 years ago it was every 6 months...

1687635169812.png

I did.:D

Power color Red Devil 7900xtx $800 after tax. Didn’t come with anything, just thr bare card. Ordered a cheap anti sag device off Amazon. MicroCenter wanted $90 for a 2yr warranty, I passed. Receipt says “Clearance Markdown” not open-box so I should get the full manufacturer’s warranty (2yrs).

Oh well, no upgrading for a while.Maybe the 8xxx3d whenever that comes out.

Edit- Oooh. I just noticed I got a RE 4 code in my email. Between this and Jedi Survivor with my 7900x that’s two free games from AMD I have no interest in playing. :ROFLMAO:

I did.:D

Power color Red Devil 7900xtx $800 after tax. Didn’t come with anything, just thr bare card. Ordered a cheap anti sag device off Amazon. MicroCenter wanted $90 for a 2yr warranty, I passed. Receipt says “Clearance Markdown” not open-box so I should get the full manufacturer’s warranty (2yrs).

Oh well, no upgrading for a while.Maybe the 8xxx3d whenever that comes out.

Edit- Oooh. I just noticed I got a RE 4 code in my email. Between this and Jedi Survivor with my 7900x that’s two free games from AMD I have no interest in playing. :ROFLMAO:

Sell em to me lol

Back