The Router Recommendations Thread (Consumer)

This has seen better days its time to upgrade...we do it all game, download heavy, stream movies....not worried about easy or price just want reliability, speed.

thanx

The price diff between mid-range and premium is $10 :)?

How does the E4200 compare? I'm looking for something I can throw DD-WRT on.

Thanks

If you want to go 3rd party firmware the Atheros platform is the best choice overall, this is also what Ubiquiti use in many of their products. Looking at the hardware itself...

Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H
CPU: Atheros AR7242 400Mhz
RAM / Flash: 64Mb / 32Mb

TP-LINK TL-WDR4300
CPU: Atheros AR9344 560MHz
RAM / Flash: 128Mb / 8Mb

Linksys E4200
CPU: Broadcom BCM4718 480Mhz
RAM / Flash: 64Mb / 16Mb

While the TP-Link does have more memory and faster CPU it lacks flash memory which might hold you back if you want to run simple services on it. It'll probably be faster than the Buffalo overall. Compared to the Linksys I'd say that the Buffalo and Linksys will most likely perform very similar and the TL-WDR4300 better than both in raw performance. Since Broadcom doesn't have open source drivers you need to rely on binary blobs which usually are rarely updated and very limiting when it comes to 3rd party firmwares. I know DD-WRT likes cludge like that more than the OpenWRT community so it might work out if you want to run DD-WRT, I would personally take OpenWRT over DD-WRT any day. Also keep in mind that 3rd party firmware isn't equal to better performance even if that's the case most of the time.
//Danne

If you want to go 3rd party firmware the Atheros platform is the best choice overall, this is also what Ubiquiti use in many of their products. Looking at the hardware itself...

Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H

TP-LINK TL-WDR4300

Linksys E4200

While the TP-Link does have more memory and faster CPU it lacks flash memory which might hold you back if you want to run simple services on it. It'll probably be faster than the Buffalo overall. Compared to the Linksys I'd say that the Buffalo and Linksys will most likely perform very similar and the TL-WDR4300 better than both in raw performance. Since Broadcom doesn't have open source drivers you need to rely on binary blobs which usually are rarely updated and very limiting when it comes to 3rd party firmwares. I know DD-WRT likes cludge like that more than the OpenWRT community so it might work out if you want to run DD-WRT, I would personally take OpenWRT over DD-WRT any day. Also keep in mind that 3rd party firmware isn't equal to better performance even if that's the case most of the time.
//Danne

The Netgear WNDR3800 is a good choice too with 128Mb RAM and 16Mb flash. Atheros based and OpenWRT supported, and no version lottery.

...except that it's old and very expensive. I'd rather go for the TP-Link in that case :)
It's at least one generation older than all routers listed above.
//Danne

Ok so, since this is a recomendation thread, help me out here. I have a D Link 655 and its having major wireless connection issues and nothing has changed in the airspace in the house so I am assuming the router is just bad. I am looking to get something new, I do a lot of streaming to twitch.tv and play a lot of MMO's/Multiplayer online so ping is very important to me. I could spend up to $150 but would prefer not too, Networking isn't really my thing so what would you suggest?

devices that will be connected
wired:
Xbox direct into the router
1 pc direct into the router
1 pc and a printer through a switch in the other end of the house
Wireless:
3 laptops
1 phone
1 Ipad
1 android tablet

Hi all, first post here, so, thanks for having me ^_^ I'm looking to setup a training network to coincide with CCNA and Computer Sc BSc courses I'll be starting shortly. Here's the rig I'll want setup by the new year.

HTTP LAMP Server
NAS w/ FreeNAS
Workstation for VMWare and web dev (this's already built)

I'll most likely be getting a Cisco SG300-20 to cater for expansion but I was wondering if anyone can recommend the Cisco RV180W?

I would stay away from the RV cisco series. If you need a business class VPN router look at the Zyxel USG 50 or higher. Otherwise the info you are seeing here in this thread is valid.

Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H

TP-LINK TL-WDR4300

Linksys E4200

//Danne

Thanks for the info, only reason I specified DD-WRT is because I've been using it for a while now on my 320n and I'm comfortable with it, but it seems like the wireless is starting to act up. I'm going to look up Open WRT, it could very well be better for me as I use mostly basic features and not heavily invested in keeping dd-wrt :)

One more question, one of my main concerns is wired network performance and wireless reliability, i can currently transfer files from my server to desktop at around 80mb/s, not sure how accurate that is, it's just what windows reports :) For that, would you suggest the buffalo or the E4200?
I can get the buffalo for $89(it also comes with a $25 gift card) and the Cisco for $79(refurb)

Last edited:
Wired would be gigabit speeds, wireless I'd say about 100mbit (that's what my old Planex-router does and Intel 6200 WLAN-card) and it's 2 generations older than Buffalo and TP-Link (newer generations have better radio). If you only need a router you'll probably be better off going for the TP-Link. I have nothing to complain about regarding wireless stability, works really good for days without reconnecting but that might highly depend on how much interference you'll have.
//Danne

Wired would be gigabit speeds, wireless I'd say about 100mbit (that's what my old Planex-router does and Intel 6200 WLAN-card) and it's 2 generations older than Buffalo and TP-Link (newer generations have better radio). If you only need a router you'll probably be better off going for the TP-Link. I have nothing to complain about regarding wireless stability, works really good for days without reconnecting but that might highly depend on how much interference you'll have.
//Danne

the TP link is more expensive than both locally. and honestly I've never had a good experience with TP link in the past. so I'm a bit reluctant to try them again.

Go for the Buffalo then, both are good devices but WDR4300 offers better raw performance.
//Danne

Looking to start up a local LAN party. Location I want to use is free and has free wifi. The wifi is a frac T1 and tests out 2-3mb up and 3+ mb down.

My idea is to use a wireless bridge device to grab the signal and then share it out as well as perform standard DHCP etc by plugging into a 10/100/1000 24 port switch. All machines would hard connect into the switch.

Any reccomendations on a router/bridge device that would do what I need it to? I have been told a high end router flashed to DD-WRT might work?

Any ideas?

I think this is a much simpler than requiring everyone to have their on WIFI card in their machine.....

Looking for advice still.....any suggestions?

TP-Link TL-WR842ND works fine as APs running OpenWRT if you want something cheap that works good (no dual band) and you'll probably be better off setting up two of these on lets say ch 2 and ch 10 or something like that.
//Danne

Pretty happy with the Netgear R6300. Bought it, it updated the firmware to the latest version, and now my wi-fi signal is about 3 times as strong as it was on the 3400 I had before. Plus it's pretty sleek too :p

Hello,
I have been using my current setup (WRT 100 as router (stock), BEFSR41 (stock) as a switch, and WRT54G with DD-WRT as a wired WAP.
I am looking to upgrade for a few reasons including more range and greater wireless speed. I also need more LAN ports but have solved that by getting two 8 port switches (Trendnet TRTEGS80G).
I use the wifi and LAN to distribute internet for surfing, streaming audio and video and transferring small files. I do have a 1TB HD which would be nice to connect to the router.

I have the following connected:

3 PC's and 3 laptops.
2 ipods, 2 iphones, an ipad. 2 rooted Nook Colors.
XBox 360, Wii, and PS3
Roku XDS
Networked blu ray player, networked TV, networked HD-DVD player
Denon networked AV receiver

I have the WRT100 on the 2nd floor in a northeast corner room where the cable modem is. We have a 2600 sq ft. house with a finished basement. I have the PS3 and an HTPC down there, the PC is wired and the PS3 is wireless. The wired WAP (WRT54G with DD-WRT) is on the 1st floor. I actually need more LAN ports that that can provide (reason for one of the switches); so I need to put a switch there anyway. My thought was to get a better router upstairs and then stop using the WAP and instead put an 8 port switch there. I am already using theBEFSR41 as a bridge on the 2nd floor (reason for second switch).

I am looking for recommendations on a router to replace the WRT100. I am thinking dual band, wireless N, with at least one USB port. I am also wondering if said router may negate the use of the WAP on the 1st floor or should I still leave that in the mix? The reason for that is that the WRT100 can't get signal to the basement from the 2nd floor and am hoping the new router may.

Any advice/criticism is welcome. I don't really have a budget but would love to keep it under $150 unless it's necessary to go higher.

Thanks,

Pat

The Buffalo you list is going for $59 AR from Newegg right now. The reviews on that site scare me a bit, but at almost half the Netgear 3700 I was considering, I am going to give it a try. I will use it with the two new gigabit switches I bought.
Question, if I do end up needing a WAP with this, can I just get another one of the same to use as a WAP? I did that with another old G router using DD-WRT but wanted to make sure.

Thanks,

Pat

Using it as an AP works on Atheros devices using OpenWRT at least, no idea regarding DD-WRT.
//Danne

I am not familiar with any of the networking terms/technology or abilities of these devices. I hate to "exploit" a thread like this an seem lazy, but..
I need a wirless router for 1 wired desktop PC and 1 wireless desktop PC.

Wired PC: Works from home doing data entry, no media use, general web browsing
Wireless: Stream lots of video(Hulu & Youtube), moderate DLing of music.
No interconnection of PCs, TVs or printers needed.
Wireless PC located through 3-4 walls about 100-150ft away, same level. Home total about 1,400 sq ft.

Help? :confused:

Thank in advance [H]

Any of the recent models listed will do fine although the walls will certainly limit your speed, electrical converters isn't an option?
//Danne

I'm not sure what an electrical converter would be or do in this case? I am only familiar with the term in regard to socket variance from other countries, an adapter of sorts.

I'm not sure what an electrical converter would be or do in this case? I am only familiar with the term in regard to socket variance from other countries, an adapter of sorts.

He might be talking about powerline ethernet. They use the wiring inside your house to connect systems. I myself hae never messed with them.

Great suggestion guys. I looked into them a bit and seems like they work great and for my situation. I am eyeing a 200Mbps due to the HD streaming and maybe a PS3 on the network sometimes.
I just picked the top 2 rated ones on NE.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124448
I don't necessarily need the 4 "outs" on the unit. Don't see what else raises the cost. Willing to pay the extra if the technology or signal is worth it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156390
This is nice due to price and there is only one "out" on the remote unit, which is really all that's needed.

I appreciate it tons guys, I never would have stumbled across this set-up.

Have a look at the 500mbit models which gives you about or close to 100mbit instead of 200mbit models that gives you ~50 mbit
//Danne

Ok I have an old WRT54GS V6, We had dsl 3mb speed for a few years, and than recently upgraded to time warner cable. I already flashed dd-wrt and overclocked to 233 mhz with a heatsink mod. When I'm wired directly, I am seeing just under 30mb http://www.speedtest.net/result/2187632011.png

On wifi I am seeing about 16-17mb
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2187635090.png

I just tried changing the channels to one that isnt crowded in my area, tcpoptimizer to 30mb and optimal settings etc. I think its time to just get a new router ? Any suggestions on something affordable ? Just something that will bring that wifi speed up a little bit. I game and download every now and than, but i suppose I could just plug in when at my desk .

Just came across this, might helps those looking for a new router...AVS: 5 Best Wireless Routers For Your Money
Though going by some of their choices I think they might be a tad too consumer and not enthusiast like [H] seems to be ;)

Since I've used all of these.... I can actually generally agree with this review.

Although I would only recommend the netgear 3700 in version 1 form.

And the Zyxel USG100 has more than enough features to be considered [H]ard

The 3700v2 is superior to v1 in all ways but it's getting old by now
//Danne

Last edited:
I just picked up the netgear 4500 at costco...but reading the smallnetwork's review has me concerned with the 2 stream 2.4 performance. Most of my devices are N, but I do have 2 older laptops with G. Will I see any true benefit to using these new N600/750/900? The asus 66u seems to be the powerhouse, though allegedly the current firmware has a nonfunctioning DLNA. Anyone have experience with both of these.

TLDR; 4 devices N, 2 G comparing netgear 4500 vs asus 66u, which is better?

I have a new RT-AC66R and it is FAR from stable. It's a mess in fact.

UPnP doesn't work.
SAMBA doesn't work right.
DLNA doesn't work.
Port forwarding doesn't work.

And the firmware released today fixed NONE of these issues.

It's going back. I love the performance, but I've had enough. I'm hoping the Dark Knight has all these issues (or whatever issues it may have had) worked out by now.

Am I good to go on one of these?

Any good budget wireless N router recommendations? Nothing fancy, range and reliability is probably most important. Just looking for something under $45.

I've had a TrendNET TEW-652BRP v.1 for years and it finally died a couple days ago, so I'm looking to replace it.

I have a new RT-AC66R and it is FAR from stable. It's a mess in fact.

UPnP doesn't work.
SAMBA doesn't work right.
DLNA doesn't work.
Port forwarding doesn't work.

And the firmware released today fixed NONE of these issues.

It's going back. I love the performance, but I've had enough. I'm hoping the Dark Knight has all these issues (or whatever issues it may have had) worked out by now.

Am I good to go on one of these?

i would wait till they release a dd-wrt version before sending it back

Just a quick *wall of text* here, I am wanting a new router, got a DGL-4300 at the moment.

Only wireless devices I have at the moment are an iPhone and a SGS3, although a laptop/ tablet/ both may feature in our lives soon.

Was looking at something with N900, for futureproofing, we live in a 80m3 appartment, so coverage with a draftAC router is not needed, and can tag along a AC access point in the future as and when.

However, I was looking for something with storage sharing (basic NAS functions (I want a NAS but financials don't allow at the moment anything I would want in the future)), to have a SAMBA share, so I can access the files via WDTV and W7 PC's. I know all the models I have listed below have enough speed to be able to play back bluray as a MKV file, so that is not a massive problem :)

Our internet has been unstable due to outages, and we have in the post a USB 3G "modem", my plan was to use it as a backup exclusively for if the main WAN goes down.

IPV6 is a must, as is good throughput on the WAN side of things, we already have 100mbps via fiber, at the moment we get about 94 down, 25-30 up, I realise the 3 I list have all above 100mbps on the WAN, the Cisco is a lot lower than the others though at about 250mbps, although I can't see me needing over 100mbps. Maybe when netflix is streaming 8k @ 120fps :p

I have looked at the Asus RT-N66 (1300:), Linksys/ Cisco E4200 (1200:) and the WD N900 router (1700:).

Obviously there is a price different, not a super huge one, at the moment I am most interested in the Asus, but is there anything that I want which it won't deliver? Information on the 3G modem side of things is quite sparten as to which will worth with which, is there anyone that can shed some light on if any 3G USB modem would work?

Many thanks!

You might want to consider a 3rd party firmware-compatible (Atheros platforms works best) router if you want to go with a 3G-modem since you'll be able to get updated drivers without too much hassle.
//Danne

You might want to consider a 3rd party firmware-compatible (Atheros platforms works best) router if you want to go with a 3G-modem since you'll be able to get updated drivers without too much hassle.
//Danne

I will look into that, thanks.

As a side note, if I was to set up the SGS or iPhone to be used a wifi hot-spot, is there any way I could connect the router, or some other equipment to that wifi network? Might be a better solution as the SGS3 has access to HPDSA+ here in Sweden on 3 network, would be a faster solution than the 6mbps of the 3G modem they offered :)

I'm looking for a wireless router that has great signal strength. Would you guys recommend that I look into ac standard routers or would picking up a n router around 100$ suffice?

How updated is the list in the OP?

Back