swapping display drivers

Riptide_NVN

2[H]4U
Long time AMD user with a 290 here. I have a 1080GTX here tomorrow.

Back in the day people used to run utilities like drivercleaner to go between the different display drivers. Is any of that still necessary? Or am I able to just uninstall AMD driver, shut down, swap hardware, boot, and install NVidia driver?

Hmm so I should not use the AMD uninstall from the control panel applet? Or run this thing afterwards?

drivers nowadays are basically hassle free, you just unistall AMD drivers (don't forget to unistall vulkan drivers that are in a separated installation) turn off your machine, take your current card off of your machine, put your new card on, power on the machine and install new drivers.. unless you receive issues then nothing is really needed to change from one vendor to other.. some games may need a re-installation to work as intended as possibly have vendor specific features.. but they are rare.

Regarding DDU I can't find a straight answer on whether I should run the AMD driver's own uninstaller first and then run DDU. Or go straight to DDU and bypass that entirely. I don't want to mess the system up.

I can see opinions vary on the best approach here with some (Araxie) stating to forget DDU and only run it if I need it.

If the AMD uninstaller doesn't get rid of everything then use DDU. After reading the release notes of DDU I'd do the least destructive method first.

Regardless of the method chosen. With Windows 10 is there a way to prevent it from automatically loading a driver for the NVidia card once I install it? That would be nice so that I can just go ahead and run setup for the NVidia driver without needing to install over the top of whatever trash Windows Update throws on there before I can get ahead of it.

Regardless of the method chosen. With Windows 10 is there a way to prevent it from automatically loading a driver for the NVidia card once I install it? That would be nice so that I can just go ahead and run setup for the NVidia driver without needing to install over the top of whatever trash Windows Update throws on there before I can get ahead of it.

DDU has that option.

Back