Somewhat interesting folding box

pjkenned

[H]ard|Gawd
Burning in the new colo "server" well.. the 4 node, 8 CPU server in a 2U box.

Very interesting that each dual Xeon L5520 node no Kraken is doing about 27-30k ppd on normal SMP units. So 100-120K ppd for the box.

Total power draw, even with things like the redundant 1100w PSUs I have in this thing is ~430w.

Here's the really interesting thing, they are selling with 96GB RAM (24GB/ node) for between $1000 and $1000 shipped. Also have IPMI 2.0 and dual NICs.

Basically, i7-3770K folding performance, for $267 node (+ disk)

The bad thing is that they are loud but price wise not too bad. Oh and getting to use PuttyCS is really fun. The other plus side is that with dual nics and 24GB RAM, you can actually run other things fairly easily on the box.
4 Node Folding at Home600.png

Keeping a detailed log of my time prior to the colo w/ pics:
Dell C6100 information/ log

Last edited:
Hmmm interesting find!

Better ppd/w exists out there but $/node is good compared to a conventional 2600k/3770k system!

(sorry for repeating what you said but it's darn true :p )

do they have any kind of RAID support?

do they have any kind of RAID support?

Onboard is a ICH9R or ICH10R (can't remember) since it's the Intel 5500/5600 chipset.

There is also a PCIe LP x16 slot and a mezzanine card with LSI controller options.

Also, installed 2x L5638's in this machine without issue. Cool thing is you just pull out the motherboard and if needed remove network cables.

interesting... I am moving some clients servers to VMware and these boxes look really neat... I could setup iSCSI targets for the VM images and just use these as 4x VMWare boxes with quite a bit of horsepower in 2U's... if one fails just load up the VM in another blade

Holy crap I want to buy 8 of these... I even have a Dell 42U rack in the garage sitting there collecting dust... :)

Onboard is a ICH9R or ICH10R (can't remember) since it's the Intel 5500/5600 chipset.

There is also a PCIe LP x16 slot and a mezzanine card with LSI controller options.

Also, installed 2x L5638's in this machine without issue. Cool thing is you just pull out the motherboard and if needed remove network cables.

lga1366 is ICH10R

Just as an update on this. Ended up with three units (one cold spare two 4 node units) for STH colo.

We now have a bunch of resources and people working on them.
Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Information with pictures
Taming the 6100 (one user's log that is starting on quieting the server.
Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 replacement parts

Will be doing a formal main site write-up soon. Certainly not fancy, but $267/ per node.

Also managed to purchase on with dual port Mellanox ConnectX-2 daughtercards (40gbps) so considering buying one for the STH lab for a cloud learning box and part time folder. These max out at under 500w with 60w TDP CPUs and have lots of reliability features. May be an inexpensive way to keep folding.

Interesting.

Pardon the possibly dumb question.... But....
"4 node" does that mean that there are 4 separate systems contained in a 2U chassis? Each one being its own server, running its own OS, etc? Or is it one server (one OS) with hot swappable trays containing memory/HDD/CPU?

Interesting.

Pardon the possibly dumb question.... But....
"4 node" does that mean that there are 4 separate systems contained in a 2U chassis? Each one being its own server, running its own OS, etc? Or is it one server (one OS) with hot swappable trays containing memory/HDD/CPU?

Not dumb at all, ignorant at worst ;)

4 "servers" with common power and cooling.
They can be run independently or with a hyper-visor as a cluster.

Patrick said:
As far as OS, using FreeBSD on the pfsense nodes and Proxmox VE for the "compute" nodes. I believe Proxmox 2.2 is Debian based. Sadly no Windows Server 2012 at the moment.

Source:
http://forums.servethehome.com/show...PU)-Cloud-Server&p=10409&viewfull=1#post10409

Cool! I have been wanting to build a nice home server to act as a media server/encoding machine/file server. This seemed like a great system for the price, but I really dont have a use for 4 servers... one 32core server would be GREAT for encoding and folding on the side. :)

Might have to look elsewhere. Very cool tho!!

So just as a note to the above, I haven't tried Windows Server 2012 yet on it due to the fact that I was building out the STH 2013 colocation infrastructure.

The somewhat cool thing is that you basically get a compact cluster that is inexpensive and easy to service.

Buying another one for the STH lab... with dual port Mellanox Connect-X2 cards!

What's Google upgrading to that they couldn't reuse those cards...

Figure Google/ FB and etc are a CPU generation beyond what is announced by Intel. Intel product "releases" are more like general channel/ OEM partner availability. If you are a top account, you get access to revenue shipments before that.

Did a full Dell PowerEdge C6100 review today.

as an update to this there is a guy on ebay selling the 4 node dual L5520 96gb boxes for $860 shipped (has 899 obo, couldn't get him to go below 860 shipped)

I want one but shipping is $430 to Canada. The overall price is still acceptable but burning that much on shipping hurts.

So 100k+ PPD for ~$860?

mobile computer pros?

I has the dimensions and weight listed.

Width: 44.8 cm (17.6 in)
Height: 8.7 cm (3.4 in)
Dept: 75.1 cm (29.6 in)
Weight (Max Config.): 36.5 kg (80.5 lbs)
Weight (empty): 20.0 kg (44.1 lbs)

I want one but shipping is $430 to Canada. The overall price is still acceptable but burning that much on shipping hurts.

Send the seller a question via ebay and ask for a shipping quote. I did and they dropped it from 430 to 150 to Alberta Canada. Likely you would have a similar experience.

Note that you will still get dinged import duties and taxes (budget ~200-300ish for this)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back