question about NAS and network drive mapping

Jason

Limp Gawd
i have a netgear readyNAS nv+ running in raid 0. i'm basically using it as a networked external for very basic file storage.

in the settings for the NAS, i have power saving features enabled whereby the drives (4 x 250GB) will spin down after 20 minutes of inactivity. this coincides with the power options i have set within windows. my internal hard disk spins down at 20 mins as well, and then the entire computer goes to sleep at 30 mins.

i have the NAS mapped as a network drive. my question is this:

when the hard disks in the NAS spin down, will i lose the network mapping?

i mean my computer will be spinning its drive down at the same time, and then it'll go to sleep. so i'm guessing i'll be okay. i just want to avoid having to re-map the drive every time i want to throw stuff onto the NAS.

You can tell windows to remember your credentials and it will save the mapping until you delete it. The NAS can be off or spun down, you'll only see a little window that pops up near the clock that says "couldn't connect to all network drives" that goes away after a few seconds when you start the computer.

i understand that i'll see the pop-up, however, when i want to go to use the drive (after the disks have spun down) how will i reconnect?

if i try to open up the mapped drive will that wake the NAS up and spin up the disks?

i understand that i'll see the pop-up, however, when i want to go to use the drive (after the disks have spun down) how will i reconnect?

if i try to open up the mapped drive will that wake the NAS up and spin up the disks?

Should! It actually shouldn't loose the drive map as it's only the drives that are powering down not the unit.

Back