Project Texas Tech

Well I have to take a break from Black Lightning to work on this case for my sis who is going to texas tech. Well I origonaly started to just upgrade her pc, But being a Dell I had to gut the whole the thing, buy all new internals, and Put it in a new case. Then I figured why give her another nasty beigh case, and came up with a few simple designs.

For the front I came up with this.
frontlogo1.JPG

Decided to cut out the smaller t for a small window that will be backlit by red leds. The larger T will be painted on there red.
frontlogo2.JPG

Next had to get rid of the nasty little holes all over the front, so we (being enigma) used some filler to get those out.
frontlogo3.JPG

Then we cut out a piece of lexan to fit in the T, it will either be frosted white with red behid or tinted black with red behind it. Still not sure on what i will do, but we will see.
frontlogo4.JPG

Then we used alittle more filler to fill in around the edges of the T.
frontlogo5.JPG

Then came some painting, I elected to not put a window in this case as my sister put "i wouldnt know what i was looking at". So just a nice paint job and a silouet of the texas tech mascott on the side. Of coarse first thing is the primer.
primer.JPG

Then came the first coat of black and red paint, The front will be painted black and then it will have a fade to red with the black silouett on the red.
firstcoat.JPG

Then I sanded alittle and put on the second coat, I am not realy going for the mirrored paint job, just a nice even gloss finish. This is not the finished coat, will be doing one more this wen on my day off then a clear coat.
2ndcoat1.JPG

2ncoat2.JPG

For the power button Decided to go with one of these (sorry for the blurry pics but yeah they are all i got.
button.JPG

button2.JPG

Used my trusty lighter and melted the plastic to fit the metal texas tech pin. But as you see it didnt turn out to great so we did it again right above this one and I will be bondoing this one up, altho i didnt take a pic of the better one (much much much better one). You will see that wen.
fire.JPG

That is about all I have so far, This is not a very large elaberate project. But it will look good when it is done, especialy since it is going to someone who isnt into modding/computers.

JEEVES

Looks good man, keep it up, even if its going to Texas Tech :p

Now if she was going to Oklahoma Univ, that would be different :D

Tanis143 said:
Now if she was going to Oklahoma Univ, that would be different :D

Word... OU is the Texas state football champ!

Boomer!...

(P.S. - good luck with the mod, it'll get there!)

-SEAL

Hehe, just noticed you're from Tulsa, Im down in Moore, between OKC and Norman. Any clues as to why Im a OU fan? :D

Blurry pics hurt my eyes. Nice looking simple case mod so far. I would still go for the mirror paint job just for the 'wow' factor. Also bathroom mirrors can become quite the commodity in a dorm. So being able to do hair and make up in the PC side panel is a plus :) .

lol she is in an apartment, and It has a semi mirror effect. But yeah I know all you perfectionist want a powder coat finish on it :D

alright time for a quick update as i got to get off early today :clap: (guess none of you on the east coast was using your dsl today :hehe: ).

Decided to do a third coat after some light sanding with 2000grit. Started with the red, I taped off the black area so not to have any overspray.
red.JPG

Then I went back with the black and worked on the fading, I like the finished effect. You dont get the full effect in a pic, you cant see the D shaped outdents that cuase a very nice effect with the fade.
fade.JPG

Then I went to work on the front, filled in the screw up with my favorite.....BONDO. and then went back over it with some filler putty.
fixbutton2.JPG

Then primed and painted black
front2.JPG

Here it is with the power button "in place" you can see the plexi is taped off. I will be frosting that red in the near future.
front3.JPG

And then time to work on the silouet that will be on the right side. Well enigma is cutting that out as we speak :thumb: .
raider.JPG

Now I want an honest opionen from you raiders, Is that statue a good enough "symbol" of tech. Or do I need to find the one that has its ass facing A&M. This was the only one I could realy find, but I will search harder if the other statue would show more significance to you raiders. Thanks for the replys

JEEVES

Enigma just got the raider cut out as i was finishing up the thread :rolleyes: so here is the raider cut out and ready to be put on the side of the case.

raidercut.JPG

JEEVES

Looks like a good design to me, but it might be a little small for the case (just judging by the number of strips of tape). You can put that on a slide projector to blow it up to fit the case better and trace the design from there. Also, those cuts will require fine fine dremel work, so I'd recommend looking at some tutorials first if you're not a very experienced modder.

-SEAL

alright I thought i was done for the night but the garage kept calling me to do some more.....

Got the silouet on there, still have to clean up the tape residue. First aplied the the cut out (it is on masking tape if you didnt know) and taped off the rest of the case. (5 bucks to who ever can name the ad i used)

raideron.JPG

Then of coarse sprayed on the black paint.
raiderpaint.JPG

And the finished product looks something like this.
raiderdone.JPG

Ok now I have cleaned and am seriously done for the night. I will be finishing this case wensday. I love projects that can be done with in a week.

JEEVES

fry ad... I want my 5 dollars!

wait dont i owe you money?

btw, that case looks pimp as hell. YAY you did the fade job right... looks bad ass..

SEALTeamSix said:
Looks like a good design to me, but it might be a little small for the case (just judging by the number of strips of tape). You can put that on a slide projector to blow it up to fit the case better and trace the design from there. Also, those cuts will require fine fine dremel work, so I'd recommend looking at some tutorials first if you're not a very experienced modder.

-SEAL

just read your post....yeah its not going to be a window. The person this is going to has no need for a window, She doesnt even know much about computers. And as you see the size is good for what i wanted, wanted it to fit inbetween the outdented border. And I am guessing you havent looked at our other logs (project black lightning or project ignis) Modding is no stranger in our house. And my/our dremmel skills are very much up to par, but i appretiate the concern :) . Thanks for the input

JEEVES

Pretty cool so far! Even though I'm a CU Buff fan (what do you expect, I live right down the street from CU) that Cowboy is pretty cool. Have you thought about maybe doing it up like the new Falcon Northwest cases? I know you said your sister didn't want a window so I'd think that they would get a kick out of backlight.

3N1GM4 said:
:D Im always being forgoten and not getting enough credit :mad: :mad:

lol j/k

Ok now everyone give props to Enigma for cutting out the masked rider, and putting it down and painting it. (even tho i had to go back over it with a second coat :p j/k) And enigma has had his hands on this case since the begining, Me and him work on all the cases together. So all of these cases you see by me and him are both of our creations, We bounce ideas off of each other all day long on what to do with all these cases we have (well used to have, now we just have one untouched one).

JEEVES

looks pretty good. is the side really that messy? (last horse pic) or did that just clean off?

yes, we did the fade with regular spray paint... after polishing it ist AS good, but its damn nice for a fade... especially on a case were doing for "free" hehe :D :p

Well it is time for an overdue update. For the most part the case is done, still have some touch up work to do in areas but all in all it done.

After putting on the clear coat me and enigma polished the hell out of it. Like I said we wernt going for a mirrored paint job, just a nice smooth finish.
topshine.JPG

sideshine.JPG

Also painted the big T on there as well as the small t with a brush on frost paint (they didnt have my spray on kind, every other color but red :mad: )
front12.JPG

Then did alittle polishing on the front as well
P1010514.JPG

Then wired up the leds for the front as well as the power and hdd (they are a duller red but not on in any of the pics)
tlight.JPG

And a shot with the flash off.
tlight2.JPG

And then had to put it all together just to see how it looks.
lefton.JPG

lighton.JPG

righton.JPG

sideon.JPG

topon.JPG

fronton.JPG

Sorry for no real explenations but I am at work as of right now. I will try to give a sumary of what we did tonight when i get home. Until then enjoy the pics.

JEEVES

OMG the umpainted drives hurt my eyes. :D Still looks cool for a simple on the fly mod.

Ok I know i forgot to say that is not the drive that is going in it. Since we are using alot of the old parts of her computer (saves on cost of "new" computer) we must wait till she returns to paint those dive covers. I just slapped everything onto the frame to see how it was going to look together. There is still some touch up that needs to be done to the case but for the most it is finished.

And the sides nor the front are screwed in, I know the metal between the two looks like crap. But dont worry that is not seen when everyhting is pushed tight.

JEEVES

come on now you think i would do all that work (even tho it wasnt TOO much) and have it all ruined by nasty unpainted drive bays :rolleyes:

JEEVES

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
come on now you think i would do all that work (even tho it wasnt TOO much) and have it all ruined by nasty unpainted drive bays :rolleyes:

JEEVES

i believe he means we... :p

lol honestly he wouldnt let me help really... always gotta do mr know it all style... lol and the fan was MY IDEA TOO :p :D

Of coarse I am kidding, Enigma gets as much credit on this case as I do. We always throw ideas off each other and both work on the cases together.

JEEVES

JEEVES, next time uses some of the blue painter's masking tape instead. It's designed to not leave tape residue or pull up your paint. It'll make for an easie clean up job on the case after your done. Nice job on the case though, the fading effect looks really good. :D

SB22 said:
JEEVES, next time uses some of the blue painter's masking tape instead. It's designed to not leave tape residue or pull up your paint. It'll make for an easie clean up job on the case after your done. Nice job on the case though, the fading effect looks really good. :D

It was painters tape (not the blue kind). We just put it on way to soon, I dont think the paint was completely dry all the way through :rolleyes: . But the residu came off with a shit load of polishing, so all is good. Enigma actualy used the same tape on his case when he painted the flames (the first time) and it left no residue.

JEEVES

needs more fade :D

and now you should build a giant T for texas tech and put a computer inside it.

I didnt want a real long fade, Just a enough to transistion the black to red. and as for the other idea, yeah when someone will pay me to do that. This case I am doing out of my own pocket for my sister, didnt want to spend tons of money on it.

JEEVES

v3rt1g0 said:
gack, glossy paint :(

what is wrong with glossy paint?... it looks good and its only glossy from an angle...

sorry next time we'll do it in differnt shades of primer...k?

Back