Power Supply Problem

The_Tecknishen

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

I just built myself a new computer and everything seems to be working fine as far as I can tell except for one thing. Whenever I move the case itself when the PC is on, it shuts off immediately. Also, when it's not on and I move the power cord around I hear this electrical crackling and popping in my speakers. I'm pretty sure the problem is not the power cord itself because it's the same one I was using on my last computer and I had no problems like this. I think the power supply is screwed up but I want a few more opinions before I try to RMA it or get a new one. The power supply I have is a Vantec Stealth 470. Thanks.

Look at all the connections inside the computer, unplug and plug everything back in cause it seems one of the connections is loose.

GL:D

P.S. Welcome to the forums :)

Sounds like a grounding problem to me. Have you tried a different power cord? Also, to troubleshoot something like this, dissassmble everything in your computer. Then, put stuff back in one by one and try and move the computer. Just the disassembly should fix any loose screw gone on a journey shorts, and then you can isolate your problem.

If it's a grounding problem it could be because the power in my house is most likely not grounded. The house I live in is like 200 years old and the electrical system is really bad. Since I don't own the house I'm not paying to have it fixed and I probably won't be living here for much longer anyway. What I don;t get about that is that it is perfectly fine for my other computer and the 7 other computers we have in the house. I'll try taking everything apart and trying that though.

sounds more to me like the m/b is shorting out on the case.

take everything out of the case (yes I mean everything) and run the computer just on your desk in bits and bobs (as long as you don't have a metal desk!).

If that doesn't solve your problem I'll be suprised. All you need then is a new case :)

After messing around with some wires it seems to have mysteriously decided to stop doing all that crazy crap. Thanks a lot.

Back